What's wrong with the DR650's?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michnus

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS HP2
On the last trip I did with the Dakar, the bike went without any fault, but, it's a heavy bike and the suspension did take some strain, well, just a bit because I am not the size of Rossi or a 12year old girl ;D

The KLR is also a overweight pig and the fuel consumption is not all that great, the KTM got good suspension but is not to be trusted and again fuel consumption is with the SUV Land Cruiser league. The Dakar is really light on fuel but the heaviest of the lot.

Got me thinking the DR650 only weighs 148kg, fit a 28L tank for around R3500 and as standard you get marginal better suspension than the KLR/Dakar and not as good as the KTM, but for R51000 you have a brand new long range trip companion.

Yes I know you can't do 140km/h cruising, but that's not the intended use. This bike would be excellent for trips, where you cruise at 110km/h to 120km/h and when going off the beaten track can handle anything all day long.

So then why don't we have people on the forum riding them?  What's wrong with these bikes?