Two pics, for Giro del Capo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here are just two pics when I rode a photographer and journalist around for hte day at the Giro del Capo. I had to ride a BMW, but that seemed a bit weird as when I got there there were twins and Hondas too.

But the majority was Bmw. Anyhow, I had to wear a pretty pink bib and all traffic was stopped for us, on both sides of the road. The cops were extremely aggressive and rode ahead riding on the right hand side of the road forcing traffic off on the sides. It was quite hectic for innocent passers by, and I can imagine they must have thought HIER KOM KAK.

There were top teams from many sides of the world, and many different languages being spoken. Girls in tight lycra doing cheerleading, which were just babes in arms fresh out of matric. Easy picking for the manne from overseas with shaved legs.

we did around 150-200 kays that day, hot as hell, and we were well looked after I thought. Breakfast snacks and drinks and hey the lunch came from Woolies though it was sponsored by Pick n Pay. hahahha

Scariest moment? Trying to get past 150 riders (the 1150 ADV is not known for its sprightliness) and having them close in on me with this self confessed nervous passenger on the back. All 150 would come past me, some with their jerseys or legs brushing me peddling - YES THAT CLOSE - and the grass on the side of the road hitting my boots. I had to focus so massively to just keep perfectly still and riding a 10cm line next to the road.

Exhausting day would do it agian in a heartbeat for the fun and camaraderie and excitement.

These pics were taken after all the hard work done really, the last climb of the day up the arse end of DuToits Kloof and then race into Paarl easy high speed stuff. I used to race at a national level myself on bicycles, so it was easy for me to feel the race and what the cyclists would next do. a lot of memories came flooding back.

65098974-M.jpg

65098987-M.jpg