Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: BIKER FRIENDLY?????  (Read 2350 times)

Offline Grootseun

BIKER FRIENDLY?????
« on: April 19, 2006, 11:55:58 am »
WTF does BIKER FRIENDLY actually mean....

What would be the difference between me being in a cage and visiting a pub/B&B/ restaurant etc and me being on my bike...just imagine if the restaurant i am taking my clients to are not "biker friendly".

Im not sure where this term originated and the reason therefore...has anyone been refused service due to the fact that you arrived on a motorcycle?

Offline >Herman<

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 890 Adventure R
  • If not now, when?
    • Botsepehi Consulting
BIKER FRIENDLY?????
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 11:58:24 am »
Biker friendly means that you are allowed to enter the said premises on your bike.

I've been turned away from entering the Spionkop game farm when I arrived there on my bike... thus they are not biker friendly.

Some camping spots and B&B's refuse to allow bikers because we are bad... we suip, saag & wheely mos!

Offline Leo

BIKER FRIENDLY?????
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 12:13:12 pm »
2003 Visited "Die Hell" then continued on to Prins Albert. As you pull into town, first reastaurant/coffee shop on the right, after that S bend - the lady there refused any service as we were on bikes. (She actually said so)

Went to the next restaurant, the one with the car museum in the back, spend R800 + at the shop, owner was happy and I'll never visit that old fart ladies shop ever - even if I'm in a cage and all the other places is closed in whick case I'll go thirsty and drive to the next town while she can go fcuk herself!
Grey Haired Riders Don't get that way from pure luck!

Offline Grootseun

BIKER FRIENDLY?????
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006, 12:15:59 pm »
Pity that we suffer the legacy of all the saagers suipers and wheely-ers...

I have experienced some ruff 4x4/caravan-toting muthers in my time.. will make so-called bikers look like fluffy cuddly squishy toys for babies...
oh yes.. and sky-divers.. they also cant behave... :lol:

shark_za

BIKER FRIENDLY?????
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2006, 12:26:09 pm »
And the Kwat riders.

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
BIKER FRIENDLY?????
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2006, 01:02:55 pm »
Quote from: "shark_za"
And the Kwat riders.

...and kwats are not even bikes. Not even a "vehicle" worthy to be recognised by law. And we have to associated with that and pay the price for their actions! :evil:

Sorry Shark. I know you also ride quad but something tells me that you do not fall under the general populace of quad riders who spoil it for us two wheelers.

Read in the Bikesa that quads are now officially banned/not welcome at any Bikesa organised rally, except Desert Run of course. Goes a long way to say what all bikers thinks about quads.

The very same Desert Run is also in jeopoardy because of quads and are indirectly or is that directly, responsible for the increase in entry fees because of the additional measures that needs to be taken to control/monitor/police their actions. Ok, to be fair, one gets the odd two wheeler and bakkie also being a asshole and not all quad riders are the same. You actually get some that respect the laws and general trail riding rules applicable when doing a mass trip.

Phew! Felt good to get that of my chest!

Saag, suip wheely. I've seen worse from regular cagers at some kuier places which are not bike friendly.
He who angers you, controls you.

shark_za

BIKER FRIENDLY?????
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2006, 01:05:48 pm »
Some places are Biker Unfriendly cos they have dangerous animals that can eat you.
Most large nature reserves for example.
Cant hold that against them.

Offline Grootseun

BIKER FRIENDLY?????
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2006, 01:14:37 pm »
Quote from: "shark_za"
Some places are Biker Unfriendly cos they have dangerous animals that can eat you.
Most large nature reserves for example.
Cant hold that against them.

ja, i would actually not consider riding through a game reserve on a bike...there are game-viewing vehicles for those...and you drink and look bokkies while the ranger drives and tells you all about the animals.. like animal planet and your couch at home...

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
BIKER FRIENDLY?????
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2006, 01:18:12 pm »
Some game reserves don't like bikes because they make more noise than cars.

but the same people who claim the above will gladly take you on a game drive in their huge, diesel powered Unimogs with rattling metal tailgates and grinding gearboxes :roll:

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Pretoria
BIKER FRIENDLY?????
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2006, 01:29:19 pm »
Quote from: "LuckyStriker"
Some game reserves don't like bikes because they make more noise than cars.

but the same people who claim the above will gladly take you on a game drive in their huge, diesel powered Unimogs with rattling metal tailgates and grinding gearboxes :roll:

...and chatterring, sqealing tourists on the back.
He who angers you, controls you.

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
BIKER FRIENDLY?????
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2006, 01:35:18 pm »
and a PA system with which to announce every single turtle that crosses the road :lol:

Offline Grootseun

BIKER FRIENDLY?????
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2006, 01:40:40 pm »
When I get to open my big pub in the sky one day....i will be Cage unfriendly

Offline GIDEON

• Born in the year of the Tiger
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Triumph 800 XC
  • Bikes est dans mon sang
BIKER FRIENDLY?????
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2006, 01:46:01 pm »
HOOR HOOR
we'll make a big NOTICE BOARD
Just dont ask the people of WILD DOG TOURIG THEY TAKE FOREVER
where is the badge :D

Nobody can be exactly like me. Sometimes even I have trouble doing it.

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R100GS / Kalahari
  • Some multi-task. I multi-slack.
BIKER FRIENDLY?????
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2006, 01:51:09 pm »
Quote from: "Leo"
Went to the next restaurant, the one with the car museum in the back, spend R800 + at the shop, owner was happy and I'll never visit that old fart ladies shop ever - even if I'm in a cage and all the other places is closed in whick case I'll go thirsty and drive to the next town while she can go fcuk herself!

That is Sampies which the the two old farts sold to some friends of my mother-in-law who incidently owns Dennehof Guest House in Prince Albert and they recently aquired the restaurant across the road from the old mill. Next time you there service should be resumed hopefully :D

We nearly bought Sampies two years ago but they wanted R650 000 for it without showing us their accounting books :? It's been revamped and looks cool now, what the service is like I can't say.
Maverick Disclaimer: This thread is intended for the use of the individual(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this thread is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.

Offline grizz

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ROCHERSTER, KENT
BIKER FRIENDLY?????
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2006, 05:22:23 pm »
This is actually a good theme for a sticky from all over the world..... Bike friendly venues...... that way we get to support the right people, and maybe even add things like telephone numbers, email and other useful info.
When I used to ride with the BMW club in the Eastern cape, we would inform some facilities of how many people to expect, then at least they could be ready for the increase of numbers.
NEVER EVER UNDERESTIMATE THE STUPIDITY OF OTHERS....

I LIVE IN ROCHESTER, KENT, UK.

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
BIKER FRIENDLY?????
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2006, 09:18:39 pm »
We have ridden through the Chobe Game Reserve without a problem, had to stop a few times while elephants crossed the road, but what an awesome experience, watching these huge beasts, 100 metres away, sitting on a bike.
We were not allowed into Etosha Game Reserve, they told us this is because of lion, but surely I can ride faster than a lion can run? This did not appeal to their sense of humour. :)  :)
I can understand this sort of reasoning, but when an establishment refuses me entry purely because I am on a motorbike, and I am deemed to be some sort of lowlife, I get extremely pissed off, and I will do my best to blecklist this type of establishment.
Merry Pebbles in Sabie has this attitude, next time I'm in the area, I will stick a 'Think Bike' sticker on their roadsign!
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline krazy-eyes

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
BIKER FRIENDLY?????
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2006, 10:17:27 pm »
Quote from: "Adventurer"

Merry Pebbles in Sabie has this attitude, next time I'm in the area, I will stick a 'Think Bike' sticker on their roadsign!

exactly why i dont support them [merry pebbles] when i do go to the area by car. i once asked whether it would be ok to camp there even though my quads were to be kept on a trailer and under a tarpaulin at all times. they just flat out refused. seriously - on a trailer and under a tarp! it could have been a washing machine and couch under that tarp, but because they where aware that i had quads under there, they refused me entry.  :roll: their loss.............

quads....um, well. i used to ride one you know. YOU know how pissed off you get when everyone discriminates against you for being on a motorcycle?
it feels the same on a quad - SO DONT GENERALISE!!!!
i got verbal abuse and agression everytime i took it for a ride.
it is because of generalisations that motorbikers are deemed suiping hooligans by the public, yet some 2wheelers now in turn do the SAME towards quads.
wanna know why i didnt do the desert run and never will? not because of quads, but because of the TYPE of person it appeals to - the doublecab, brannas en coke, engine revving, donut pulling type. now not all of them are like that, but the majority are, regardless of their amount wheels.
i know 'cause i saw the video  :roll:

Anonymous

BIKER FRIENDLY?????
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2006, 01:50:11 pm »
Quote from: "krazy-eyes"
i once asked whether it would be ok to camp there even though my quads were to be kept on a trailer and under a tarpaulin at all times. they just flat out refused. seriously - on a trailer and under a tarp!

Incredible!  :?  :roll:

wanna know why i didnt do the desert run and never will? not because of quads, but because of the TYPE of person it appeals to - the doublecab, brannas en coke, engine revving, donut pulling type. now not all of them are like that, but the majority are, regardless of their amount wheels.
i know 'cause i saw the video  :roll:

Rather not speak of something you have not experienced. The nature of any video is to capture certain moments. Does not mean that was/is the norm. The DR is a wonderfull trip to be on, despite the drawdown's in some cases. Personally we've had no experiences of excessively drunk, roudy groups in the camping areas.

I did not see 1 bakkie or 1 two wheeler doing crazy stuff in the camping areas. Only quads riding through living spaces, throwing wheelies and donuts and creating dust clouds you can't see through, wind up, right in front off the living spaces where food is being prepared and time spend relaxing after a day's hard riding. This with acres of playing space just out of the camp. One has to wonder what's their thinking was.

We had two broken head lamps from quads going close past you at breakneck speed, spinning those wheels at top revs. The rule is go past when it is safe to do so, at a speed applicable to pass safely, as far right as possible and move left after good distance past and then accellerate. Sadly most quads did not know of this or they those to ignore. Personally not one two wheeler transgressed this rule when passsing me, and there was a lot! :oops: Especially that mean KTM's 640's and 950's! :P

I hear you Krazy. Don't generalise. I don't. There were awesome people on the trip, whether quads, bikes or bakkies. Maybe just the numbers that made it so big of a problem.

[/quote]

Offline Grootseun

BIKER FRIENDLY?????
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2006, 01:53:26 pm »
Journeyman... was that you?

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Pretoria
BIKER FRIENDLY?????
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2006, 01:55:31 pm »
Quote from: "Grootseun"