Bmw ABS Problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Grunt

This is an email that was forwarded to me. It comes from a reliable source, who is part of a group that does some kilos per year on their bikes.

I find the contents rather alarming. Please take take time to read it and because of the nature of the problem pass any comments. Thanks.

"Until I sold my F650 a month or 2 back I was the happy owner of 5 BMW motorcycles.
Until last week Tuesday I was the happy owner of 4 BMW motorcycles. (R80 , 650 GS , 1150 GS Adventure and an R1150R)

Last Tuesday a near miss occurred that has really rattled my cage and I have now lost total confidence in the brand.

I was riding my 1150 GS Adventure approaching an intersection that I ride 4 or 5 times per week and was thus familiar with braking distances. The intersection of Botha/Gately Street in East London is an intersection with stop Streets on Botha road. I approached the intersection to find 1 vehicle waiting at the stop street and, in reasonable time, I applied brakes (front).

The following occurred :
The familiar "bite" was there for a split second.
No braking for a split second
Then the rear wheel locked up for a split second (I remember 3 or 4 squeals as the tyre locked and was released)
No braking for a split second
Residual braking.

During this time I swerved to avoid the LDV in front of me and was able to go past the side of it. I eventually stopped having crossed Gately street almost entering the continuation of Botha road trying to stop the bike.  By the grace of God there was a lull in the traffic and the on-coming traffic managed to avoid hitting me.

The local agents advise that the ABS unit has to be replaced. The R 20 000 to be spent is not the issue.(in spite of the total cost of it as a new option of about R 5 000-00)

I was informed that the failure of these units is fairly commonplace and research on the internet confirmed that there are many unhappy people all over the world who have had similar experiences.

I was also told that BMW have superseded the ABS modules with a module that does not have power assist as per my 650 GS. Further research reveals that BMW have quietly fixed the problem and studiously avoided any mention of it in sales blurb.

(We will never know how many fatal accidents have occurred world wide where the real culprit was a glitch such as mine)

I find it unacceptable that a high profile brand can put unsafe equipment in the market place and respectfully request  that BMW fit the new generation ABS units to my 1150 GS and my R1150R as these 2 bikes have the old unsafe system.

Your urgent response to my request would be much appreciated I intend to ride Baviaans in 4 weeks time and need time to buy another bike if you dismiss my request out of hand as I will not feel safe on a BMW that has the unsafe ABS system."