Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: What do we do when the weather in Cape Town is totally K@K?  (Read 618 times)

Garfield

We ride of course  :biggrin:

For some of us, weather conditions do not dictate if we ride or not, it only indicates what the dress code for the ride should be...

So Saturday it was off to Elim for a bit of riding in that part of the world.

Cold, but happy  :thumleft:

Sunday it was time to deliver blankets and goodies to the children's home outside Tulbach.

It was tar only, wet and quite cold, but for a good cause (when I drove on some of the gravel roads later in the day in the 4x4 I knew that riding tar only this morning was the right thing to do).

And then, closer to home, it was time to briefly reflect on an anniversary, one of those one would rather forget, but well, shit happens sometimes - so I stopped at the spot where an uncontrolled flight ended in a very sloppy landing a year ago.

On 15 July 2011 - moenie skrik nie, dit was verlede jaar - this was my ride

This morning, 15 July 2012, my preferred ride  :thumleft:

Time to start planning next weekends riding  :thumleft:

Offline Sprocketbek

Re: What do we do when the weather in Cape Town is totally K@K?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 09:58:46 pm »
Great pics, thanks Garfield.
Good work you people did there for the community.

Only a few 100m from your spot, at Skulpiesbaai, I also had a VERY close escape  ::)
Late afternoon, a guy saw gap in traffic and pulled into the road......didn't see me coming! >:( :patch:
KTM 990 Adv
KTM 640 Adv
"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots." - Umberto Eco, 2012

Offline Andyman

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • always available
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 10:00:30 pm »
Nice picks Garfiled.
Thanks for coming along.
The kids really enjoyed all the scooters and the rides put many smiles on all the faces.
Certainly was worth the ride in the rain to bring so much joy to those kids.
My feather was well and truly soggy by the time I hnug my helmet on the rack later.
Andyman
Anyone can ride a bike fast. But can you ride real slow?

Offline Crossed-up

• Pangaman
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha XT500
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 07:53:29 am »
Great stuff, Garfield.  Riding with the family must be so special.  Big up to Auto Atlantic for organising this.

I enjoyed yesterday's trip to Tulbagh even though the conditions were bloody awful.  Alex and I rode back via Malmesbury.  It was still early so I did a turn or two through the quarry tracks while Alex went up the sand along Morning Star and then home along the railway line.
Riding the quarry in the rain was interesting when I hit the clay, but I managed to stay on top.  I didn't know one could ride a bike sideways!

Glad you escaped, Sprocketbek.  It's crazy out there.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 08:01:53 am by Crossed-up »

Offline tonys

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 10:09:29 am »
Nice foties Garfield.

It certainly was a little damp on the way there and back.

Got home and my feet were wet  :o - how does water get thru leather? Cows don't seem to get wet on the inside.

I had a great time - wet ride, the children's excited faces, brunch and home in time to see the Tour de France.

Thanks to all that organised, contributed and came along.
"Light travels faster than the speed of sound, which is why some people appear bright until they speak".

Current 2019 R1250GSA
Previous 2016 R1200GSA 2013 R1200GSA 2011 R1200GSA 2008 R1200GS