Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Medical insurance for African travel  (Read 1562 times)

Offline Hubs640

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
  • Where the road leads
Medical insurance for African travel
« on: July 17, 2012, 11:12:34 am »
Can somebody please help - I plan to do a trip end of the year covering Namibia,Botswana,Zimbabwe,Zambia,Tanzania,Malawi and Mozambique and struggle to find medical coverage. I have managed to find cover for my baby,but no medical. I have contacted Charter,ABSA Travel, Regent , ect. and they all have the same story - no cover when traveling on a bike bigger than 200cc.....I mean really,that fine print should say that you are only covered then when your bike is on a trailer :eek7:
Does anyone have some advise if such a cover even exist?

Offline Wayne Duck

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Freedom Behind Bars
Re: Medical insurance for African travel
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 11:22:23 am »
Also could not find when I went up in May, they kept on saying they can't cover if I'm "competing" on a motorcycle...said I'm not competing, I'm touring as in on holiday!
Would be great to hear of a company that can for future trips.
Links to my Ride Reports...
I have listed (with links) all my ride reports at the start of this ride report here:
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=121459.0

Offline Pistol

• Shop Mods
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Henley on Klip
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 11:24:32 am »
I went in 2010 on a GS 1200, with Discovery Health - no problem :thumleft:

Offline Wayne Duck

• Race Dog
  • Freedom Behind Bars
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 01:19:25 pm »
Pistol, you are correct, but it depends what plan you are on. Mine (also Discovery, bloody useless and I cannot change because of the "deal" with my Company) will not pay or authorise the supplier of services outside of SA. I must pay first and "they will consider the claim" when back in SA. They will not cover emergency evacuation, which is what I was looking for. How do you organise to pay for emergency treatment and evacuation when you're unconscious / incapacitated...this is what you need a medical aid for. I'll gladly refund everything once I'm back in SA fit and healthy but I need the medical aid to authorise and get me treatment and / or back to SA if I'm physically unable to do this myself.

However, my brother who is also with Discovery, says he was covered with the plan he is on. I'm still sceptical that they will "pay up and ask questions later".
« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 01:21:45 pm by Wayne Duck »
Links to my Ride Reports...
I have listed (with links) all my ride reports at the start of this ride report here:
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=121459.0

Offline Pistol

• Shop Mods
  • Race Dog
  • Henley on Klip
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 01:26:42 pm »
Ok, coolio, always good to check then I suppose!! I always get a letter from them stating I am covered in the countries I visited, and just assume all will be OK!!

Offline Offside

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 01:30:40 pm »
We only have a Discovery Hospital plan, we never got to test it but the paperwork seemed to have everything covered even emergency evacuation.
We had more hassles getting bike insurance, in the end Cross Country were the only ones to cover Rwanda but none would cover Burundi. Luckely never put it to the test either.

Offline Hubs640

• Pack Dog
  • Where the road leads
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 04:12:23 pm »
You can try Harnacks for bike insurance,they are awesome. Allot has changed on medical insurance since last year as far as African countries are concerned for instance this 200cc stront and Discovery will not help either since my departure date is in 4 months. I will keep looking and let everyone know if I am successful.Too high risk,but you are aloud to race through Africa :o

Offline jorust

• If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!
  • Race Dog
    • JoRust
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 04:49:48 pm »
I use world nomads. Not sure if it's what you're after, but maybe worth a look?

www.worldnomads.com

First woman around Africa. Next up: Around the Americas. www.jorust.com
Website: www.jorust.com. Ride Report: http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=95770.0

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting: "Holy shit!! What a ride!!

Offline laurika

• hoessenaam van hydrabad...
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
  • helmet hair is very cool....everyone says so
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 05:43:59 pm »
ive always used TIC and they also have Europe Assist on the policy...one phone call...R30 a day for duration of your trip...including evac and any other help you may need.....

"There is no happiness for him who does not travel...Therefore, wander... The fortune of him who is sitting sits, it rises when he rises, it sleeps when he sleeps, it moves when he moves... Therefore, wander!"...The Rig Veda - 800 - 600 BC..

bmw F650GS/ XT 660 R

Offline Hubs640

• Pack Dog
  • Where the road leads
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2012, 09:21:31 pm »
Thanks for the help - I'll give them a go!

Offline Bernt

• Pack Dog
  • riding makes me smile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2012, 10:17:53 pm »
Bupa covered me to Pemba - absolutely full cover done in a day. As from 1 july most med aid only cover to 200cc bikes. PM me if you need more details. Some twit dog insinuated I did not know what I was talking about when I posted this earlier - after much research. Bupa covered the Cytech bunch to Cairo and back. Cost me 50usd plus 6 usd per day.
Suzuki AC 50. Suzuki TC 200. Honda XL 175. Honda XL 185. BMW Dakar(2001). BMW R1200GS(2004). BMW R1200GS(2006). BMW R1200GS (2010) KTM 1190R (2015) BMW R1200GS lc (2017) R1250GS (2121)sports suspension

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2012, 03:00:43 pm »
Can somebody please help - I plan to do a trip end of the year covering Namibia,Botswana,Zimbabwe,Zambia,Tanzania,Malawi and Mozambique and struggle to find medical coverage. I have managed to find cover for my baby,but no medical. I have contacted Charter,ABSA Travel, Regent , ect. and they all have the same story - no cover when traveling on a bike bigger than 200cc.....I mean really,that fine print should say that you are only covered then when your bike is on a trailer :eek7:
Does anyone have some advise if such a cover even exist?

Flip man, you are so correct, i went to the AA and they sold me insurance for 650cc bike, when I got back to SA I put in a claim for my off in Namibia and it only covered up to 200cc bike.. i was furious, I travelled through 7 countries uninsured..

AS far as I know TIC do not do medical cover for bigger bikes but they cover things like theft very well.. this was a long time ago for me so it may have changed.
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Cracker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2012, 04:05:37 pm »
I used Regent lasy year and they sent me a waiver for the 200cc rule - as long as I had a roadworthy, licensed bike.

No contact details, sorry, just used the bloke at the call centre - quite helpful.
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline RobbieR

• Pack Dog
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2012, 10:52:34 am »
Use Charters - we did insure ourselves through them (Cairo to Cape trip) - one chap broke his leg and was flown out flom Malawi- they paid for everything with no questions asked. There is a standard clause around 200 cc, but you then apply for addisional insurance and yes, you pay a bit more, but you are then covered. We paid in the region of R3500 pp and Kerrie's claim was in exsess of R 19 000. They even paid for the fuel and accommodation costs for the guy that had to ride his bike back from Malawi.
No Place too Far