Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Shipping a bike to and from the USA?  (Read 2085 times)

Offline CandyMan_ZA

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
Shipping a bike to and from the USA?
« on: July 18, 2012, 01:21:42 pm »
Hi guys, does anyone have any experience or advice to ship a bike from SA to the USA? I want to do my dream ride from New York, Chicago to LA (Route 66) and then back to New York via Arizona, New Mexico, Texas to Florida. It is going to cost me about a R1000/day to hire a R1200GS in New York. If I do this road trip over 5 weeks it is going to cost me about R35 000 just to hire a bike. I want to compare costs to ship my R1200GSA to the USA and back.

All advice is welcomed.

Kevin
/\/ŻŻŻŻŻ\/\
R1200GS-WP

ps. some good info I have found is at Horizons Unlimited
http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/get-ready/shipping-the-bike
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 01:54:25 pm by CandyMan_ZA »
/\/ŻŻŻŻŻ\/\ R1200GS-WP LC

Online Lem

Re: Shipping a bike to and from the USA?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 01:27:48 pm »
I would love to know this as well !
Faith is not knowing what the future holds, it's knowing who holds the future

Offline BryanOC6

• I can like to ride Ja
  • Race Dog
  • Time to ride , I say a cammaahhhn
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 11:17:34 am »
Would purchasing a 2nd hand bike for the trip in the US be more viable? and then sell once completed the trip.

I am looking at doing this in 2015 ! saving my dollars now  :thumleft:
BMW GSA 1200 LC 2014
Yamaha WR250 2007
Yamaha SR500 1983 Bratstyle

Offline DREWMARX

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 05:26:49 pm »
It will be cheaper to rent the GS there for R1000/day than it will be to ship your bike there, and also a lot less paperwork to complete. Sounds like an awesome trip.

I agree about buying a second hand bike and re-selling it when you have finnished your trip. i have heard about guys who contact dealers in the US then "buy" a bike from them on the premise that they buy the bike back from you after your trip for $1000 less, in effect renting the bike to you for approx. R8000.000

You can contact pretty much any shipping company and request a quote from them for shipping your bike.

Good Luck
The Christini AWD Advantage!

Offline BV

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 05:30:39 pm »
Friend of mine are doing it at the moment and bought bike.
Ktm 250 2t
ktm3002t
ktm 450 RR
Husqvarna 701
KTM 950

Offline King Louis

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 08:55:23 am »
Haven't bothered to check latest rates, but will cost you easy R 10K one way for the bike. Plus you need to lodge a deposit with the AA for the Carnet, which is refundable upon return to SA.

I would also go for buying 2nd hand and re-selling again after the trip.

Offline CandyMan_ZA

• Pack Dog
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 09:34:23 am »
I would also go for buying 2nd hand and re-selling again after the trip.

I don't want the red tape and effort of buying and then trying to resell again, I can't buy a bike on my name so it has to be on a USA residents name. I will get a few quotes to ship vs. fly my bike and compare it to hiring and base my decision on that, now why can't I just ride to NY?  :ricky:
/\/ŻŻŻŻŻ\/\ R1200GS-WP LC

Offline King Louis

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 11:28:00 am »
You should receive quotes for air freight around R 17-20k for air freight (one way) and sea freight around  R 8-10k (cash up front!). Both up to arrival NY, you still have to pay for import clearance/collection/handling etc. Sea freight takes 14 days, add another couple of days both ends for delivery to depot/pack/unpack etc. For sea freight you won't have a bike available 3 weeks before and after the trip. Do your sums, you may get close to hiring again, at least you won't have to worry about damages etc. during transit.

Trust, it works out, enjoy the trip.

Offline Camino Cerdo

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 06:47:18 am »
From my experience, three weeks is the break point for rent vs shipping. cost $1100 (USD)one way to ship by boat, $2100 one way to fly it, (Seattle Washington to Johannesburg).  I have rented once (New Zealand for  18 days) and shipped to South America and South Africa.  I much prefer having my own ride, it fits and it is set up the way I want.
Only flaw in your plan is you have skipped the Pacific Northwest, best part of the country.  Ship into Portland Oregon or Seattle Washington and I will pick you up at the airport and help you get your bike out of customs.
You do not need a Carnet to ship your bike into the USA, nor do you need to be a resident to buy and license a bike in most states, (each state has there own set of rules).
If I can be of any assistance let me know.
Bob :blob1:
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but  rather a slide in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body totally worn out and screaming "Woo Hoo what a ride"

Offline MrBig

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Triumph 955 Tiger
  • Stellenbosch
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 06:58:10 am »
From my experience, three weeks is the break point for rent vs shipping. cost $1100 (USD)one way to ship by boat, $2100 one way to fly it, (Seattle Washington to Johannesburg).  I have rented once (New Zealand for  18 days) and shipped to South America and South Africa.  I much prefer having my own ride, it fits and it is set up the way I want.
Only flaw in your plan is you have skipped the Pacific Northwest, best part of the country.  Ship into Portland Oregon or Seattle Washington and I will pick you up at the airport and help you get your bike out of customs.
You do not need a Carnet to ship your bike into the USA, nor do you need to be a resident to buy and license a bike in most states, (each state has there own set of rules).
If I can be of any assistance let me know.
Bob :blob1:

Man where WHERE you when we discussed this thing 2 years ago!  :lol8:

Some previous threads here :
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=50749.0
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=101452.0
"I know you think you understand what I said, but what you don't understand is what I said is not what I mean."

Offline Camino Cerdo

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2012, 07:30:45 pm »
Well, two years ago I was trying to figure out how to get bikes to Australia.

Have another question for all, Why "Route 66 from Chicago to L.A" ?  It seems that where ever I ride in the world I meet those who want to come to USA and ride Route 66 but if I was to plan a trip across the country this would not be top on the list. Much better routes to take and things to see.

For anyone with riding the States on their "bucket list" I do think this is the easiest place in the world for a non-citizen to buy, license and insure a moto. In the state of Washington you do not even need a local address, (but it makes it easier to get paperwork).  If you are buying I would suggest you look in a state that does not have a sales tax, Oregon is where I would check.
If you bring your own ride, temp import is good for 12 months then you need to exit country. Going to Canada does not count so you will need to make a run to Mexico. This is important for crazy people that want to do what I have been doing, ride for two months somewhere in the world then put in storage for ten months returning to ride somewhere else.

We (USA) have developed a problem that effects shipping "less than container load" by ship.  Putting a motorcycle in a container with other stuff will delay the entire load as they take a week to clear the "licensed vehicle".  Thus shipping companies are not wanting to take "less than container load" vehicles. This may not apply to foreign registered vehicles. There are two fixes to this, get a bunch of friends to come with you and fill a container or ship out of Canada. Popping across the border to Canada is easy and normally the best option.  You can also pay about double and fly it out. 

As I travel about finding storage place is always on my list of things to worry about.  This is no problem here as there are many commercial storage places and I think you could find someone to store at no cost almost anywhere in the USA. (I can store bikes here if anyone is looking for a place)

Bob

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but  rather a slide in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body totally worn out and screaming "Woo Hoo what a ride"

Offline odendaal56

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2012, 11:54:00 pm »
SEE IF U CAN FIND BEN MYBURGH FROM MURFREESBUROUGH IN TN ON THE FORUM AND SEE IF HE CAN ARRANGE U A BIKE TO DO USA, IT WILL BE CHEAPER AND NO PAPERS,I BOUGHT A 800 THERE TRAVELED TO CANADA, EUROPE,UKRAINE UP TO RUSSIA AND SHIPPED IT BACK FROM LONDON TO SA AND COST R15000 BIKES CAN BE SHIPPED ANYWHERE IN USA FOR $500

Offline Mzee

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • Bikes: DL 650 Suzuki; Honda 250 Suzuki 125; Vespa
    • Mzee-Jaki
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2012, 04:07:54 am »
Interesting reading.
Life is kind to those who afford it kindness

XT1200Z Super Tenere

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2012, 07:35:16 am »
Ping Mother. Hy het al route 66 en nog 'n paar trips in Amerika gedoen
Previous: KTM 690R, 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline Mzee

• Grey hound
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • Bikes: DL 650 Suzuki; Honda 250 Suzuki 125; Vespa
    • Mzee-Jaki
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2012, 10:26:08 am »
I think this is Granpa Tom.  :thumleft:
Life is kind to those who afford it kindness

XT1200Z Super Tenere