ROAD TO HELL .... AGAIN - DEPART CAPE TOWN FRIDAY 27 JULY 2012

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustBendIt

Grey Hound
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 690 Adventure
You all know that number 1 on my bucket list is to conquer the ROAD TO HELL on a bike

Heddles and I are going to attempt it again next weekend and this is an open invitation to join us

BUT please consider the following

1. It will be very rough technical riding – big rocks and lots of sand

2. You must be able to handle yourself and your bike, by yourself – if the shit hits the fan we will not leave you there and will help
you BUT only after we have done the RTH

3. We will not be rushed – we like to stop, chat, take photos and enjoy the ride – it is a holiday after all and our time away from  
work is very precious. Oupa Heddles is also very very old and not as fast as he used to be – he recently turned 48.

4. I am no expert on the area nor on a bike -  but I have been there a number of times – I would suggest you follow my lead and  
let me show you the way in and out - do not underestimate how remote and harsh this area is - you can die here

5. We accept no responsibility for any fun or enjoyment you may have nor accept any liability for any injury, loss or death that may occur

This is the plan

We are going to cheat a lot – really due to time and comfort constraints

MEETING AND DEPARTURE POINT: FRIDAY 27 JULY 2012 7 AM SHARP SWARTLAND ENGEN 1 STOP on N7

On Friday 27 July we will tow our bikes (road legal WR450 and HUSKY 450) to Vioolsdrift and leave my bakkie there – then ride 30 km back down the N7 to the start of the dirt- the Namakwa Eco Trail. It’s about 25 km from there to the base of RTH. If all goes well we should be able to make camp by latest 5 pm

Saturday 28 July – Morning - ride in and out of RTH – we will take our time – lots of pics and video – this should take 5 – 6 hours
We then ride back 50 km to Vioolsdrift and make camp at Wild Thing Adventures (last river rafting camp site) before Richtersveld Community Conservancy

Lekker braai and kakpraat

Sunday 29 July

I will lead 2 rides – the famous ROUTE 69 (about 3 hours max) and another very rough and sandy route that I did with Metaljockey last year (about 4 hours)

Camp at Wild Thing again on Sunday night

Monday 30 July

Leave early and hit the road back home – should be in Cape Town by 5 pm

If there is interest here I will post more info on what to bring, costs, etc