Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Bikes on N1  (Read 2334 times)

Offline vigilant

Bikes on N1
« on: July 23, 2012, 02:54:26 pm »
So this morning found me on the cambridge road bridge over the N1 counting bikes and noting their position on the highway. I was there because nobody could answer any of the simple questions, like how many bikes use that route daily? And how many use the emergency lane? My biggest regret is that i cannot take time to do a much more in depth study of the highways, so many things wrong from ALL commuters, from bikes to taxis and trucks and everyone else.

It's crazy land.

So, from 6am to 9am on a monday morning, there were bikes:
N1S: 112
N1N: 211

More than i thought to be honest, and more balanced, even at a 2:1 ratio (almost)

Any guesses as to percentage of bikes in the emergency lanes?

« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 02:57:23 pm by vigilant »
Ride the lightning

Offline Beebop

Re: Bikes on N1
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 02:56:02 pm »
Probably a good 30%

Offline Cheetah

• Forum Vendor
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 02:58:55 pm »
20% ?  ;D
As a man is, so he sees.

Bikes:
BMW R 1200 GS Adv
1981 BMW Bobber

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 03:00:49 pm »
75 but tell us already!!  ;D
Previous: KTM 690R, 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline ThinkMike

• 2-wheel Addiction
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Not now honey, I'm Riding
    • Southern Africa Aventure Trips
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 03:05:45 pm »
>50% ?
Sorry Babe I am still riding.

Offline vigilant

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 03:06:49 pm »
Over both N&S it worked to just under 50%. Incredibly high (imho)

But look here:

N1N had 211 bikes, fully 150 were in the emergency lane, 140 in the "fast" emergency lane, 10 in the "slow".

And to the Tb bib wearing XT with a yellow light that smiled and waved from the emergency lane ...  ???

Not a bad guess Dwerg :)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 03:08:10 pm by vigilant »
Ride the lightning

Offline Brandt

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 03:08:15 pm »
80%

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 03:10:09 pm »
Over both N&S it worked to just under 50%. Incredibly high (imho)

But look here:

N1N had 211 bikes, fully 150 were in the emergency lane, 140 in the "fast" emergency lane, 10 in the "slow".

And to the Tb bib wearing XT with a yellow light that smiled and waved from the emergency lane ...  ???

Not a bad guess Dwerg :)

Yeah well I do travel on the N1 every day so it's more of an observation. I am a lane splitter BTW  :deal:
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 03:10:38 pm by Dwerg »
Previous: KTM 690R, 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline vigilant

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 03:29:50 pm »
Yeah well I do travel on the N1 every day so it's more of an observation. I am a lane splitter BTW  :deal:

Ok awesome ... nice to know :)

So tell me, should we even try convince the guys out of that lane or should we leave them to get on with it?

Was nicer before they all started chasing the cars into our lane. But if they're actually safer there, then i'll maar shoesh.

Ambo crowd hates EL drivers, riders, anyone, can't blame them. They hate stopping in EL too, because it's just a dangerous place to be.
Ride the lightning

Offline Mark Hardy

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 04:36:36 pm »
which EL are you guys talking about, the right one or the left one.

I lane split and travel in the right hand EL depending on the pace of the traffic. If the the cars are moving at +60km/h I lane split, if slower I use the right hand EL, but keep my speed to no faster that 80km/h.

Offline Leo

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 08:38:46 pm »
I lane split and travel in the right hand EL depending on the pace of the traffic. If the the cars are moving at +60km/h I lane split, if slower I use the right hand EL, but keep my speed to no faster that 80km/h.

+1  :thumleft:
Grey Haired Riders Don't get that way from pure luck!

Offline billy-joe

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 09:20:17 pm »
Don't like going fast in the rh el. Max about 80km/h then back into fast lane once traffic eases up. You wouldn't have seen me cos I'm nearly at work by then and no need to lane split or use ek. Just feel much safer in el. Lots of close calls when splitting.
-There is no road to happiness...Happiness is the road.
-One cannot drink beer all day long if you do not start early in the morning says Welsh!!

Offline whitedelight

• Grey hound
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 09:27:56 pm »
So usually the main debate is about lane splitting being legal??Now we all want to use the emergency lane??Surely the name says it all?Fark no wonder cagers get pissed with us ,they got no idea where to look for us,some ou's lane splitting,then the next in the right El and then the next in the left EL. ???
Rather live one day like a lion than 100 days like a sheep

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2012, 09:32:33 pm »

Is that not how that guy mentioned in another thread died.

When I am in the cage in the fast lane I never expect a bike to pass me on the right.
Also don't ride there with the bike.  Had one incident while lane splitting stationary traffic where a woman closed the gap by moving the 2m forward to see what is happening ahead.
You never know when someone in the fast lane want to pull over to the right just to see what is happening upfront or maybe overheating car or car trouble.

Offline bmad

• Wannabe Poser
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
    • Vintage Motorcycle Club
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2012, 07:19:26 am »

+1  :thumleft:

Me 3.

I saw you on the bridge, i came past at about 6.15.
I was lane splitting at the time as the traffic was still flowing at that point.

Interesting observation though, i knew there were a lot of bikes on the road but did not think it would be that high.
And to be honest i would have thought the amount of bikes in the EL would have been around 80%.

When i drove by ad saw you i was wondering you were going to put up a banner there that says that lane is illegal to ride in. Would be a good option if you want to stop the biker in that lane.
 :peepwall:
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

Online Welsh

• BMW R1150GSV
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Thunder Twonk. The two legged Twat Monkey.
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2012, 07:22:44 am »
So this morning found me on the cambridge road bridge over the N1 counting bikes and noting their position on the highway. I was there because nobody could answer any of the simple questions, like how many bikes use that route daily? And how many use the emergency lane? My biggest regret is that i cannot take time to do a much more in depth study of the highways, so many things wrong from ALL commuters, from bikes to taxis and trucks and everyone else.

It's crazy land.

So, from 6am to 9am on a monday morning, there were bikes:
N1S: 112
N1N: 211

More than i thought to be honest, and more balanced, even at a 2:1 ratio (almost)

Any guesses as to percentage of bikes in the emergency lanes?

I saw you there, I cross that bridge evey morning in the cage, I live 500m from there 8)
An aspiring Coddiwompler
I want to grow my own food, looking for Bacon seeds

Offline Mark Hardy

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2012, 08:29:55 am »
So usually the main debate is about lane splitting being legal??Now we all want to use the emergency lane??Surely the name says it all?Fark no wonder cagers get pissed with us ,they got no idea where to look for us,some ou's lane splitting,then the next in the right El and then the next in the left EL. ???

I hear what you are saying but I am tied of all the near misses and stupid things that car drivers do when commuting. I have been commuting by bike for the last 7 years and have been lucky, just one accident. Driver decided to change lanes, all 3 three of them, at once and hit me from the side. That accident broke my neck and split tendons on both sides of my right knee. I was lucky, could have been much worse.

Commuting in Cape Town is a breeze compared to hear in Gauteng. I found the cape drivers much more considerate to bike riders than here. Gauteng drivers seem to be more like cowboys/cowgirls and basically drive KAK. I cummute 1600km per month too and from work. I takes me 40 mins to travel the 40kms one way trip to the office. So I am not traveling quick or taking chances. But I feel the a whole lot safer in the right EL lane than when lane splitting.

Offline vigilant

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2012, 08:32:49 am »
Mark Hardy: mostly the "right" side, but there were a few bikes coming down the "left" EL too.

Billy-joe: "lots of close calls in traffic" means you're lane splitting too fast.

Bmad: ThinkBike is talking about putting banners or something up, but seriously will the riders even notice? I'm listening to the guys that ride there, and they won't change, because they feel safer there, even though they are not.

Whitedelight: That's exactly the point, cagers don't know where to expect us. Big up to those cagers who despite the EL riders still see me and make big space for me too pass.

This morning there was a blue light beemer trying to use the "right" EL too, making GROOT kak all the way through.

For those guys riding EL, and i mean at 80km/h, when traffic is stationary, you should NOT be doing 80 ANYWHERE near them. Never mind in the EL, it's TOO fast. Honestly, if you believe 80km/h is safe next to stopped traffic, you don't know how much danger you are in.

:bueller:

« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 08:35:27 am by vigilant »
Ride the lightning

Offline Beebop

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2012, 08:45:41 am »
Vigilant, sadly like most things in life, people all want to make their own mistakes, dont want to learn from others.
I'm fortunate to use the R21 95% of the time where its not necessary to lane split or ride in the EL, but on the occassion
that I do the N1 I never feel as "safe" regardless of where I am on the road. People are so absorbed int their own worlds,
they have little concept of what is happening around them.

Offline Mark Hardy

• Forum Vendor
  • Grey hound
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2012, 08:53:17 am »
Vigilant, sadly like most things in life, people all want to make their own mistakes, dont want to learn from others.
I'm fortunate to use the R21 95% of the time where its not necessary to lane split or ride in the EL, but on the occassion
that I do the N1 I never feel as "safe" regardless of where I am on the road. People are so absorbed int their own worlds,
they have little concept of what is happening around them.

Sadly that is so true for most of the car drivers.  ;D