Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Bikes on N1  (Read 2332 times)

Offline RogerL

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 750 Z Super
Re: Bikes on N1
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2012, 08:53:36 am »
You see, just think if the toll roads were working, stats available at the touch of a button...

Bring back the toll roads!

Offline Hoofseun

« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2012, 11:24:58 am »
In the last six months I had three close calls (caused by one duallie and two scooters), all three were due to bikers in the right hand side emergency lane when cars swerved in and away.

I am not a fan of the EL riding.  I managed to catch up to two of these riders and the arrogance of one biker to another is appauling...

We are confusing the cages!!!
"You are never to old to learn something new"

Johan Gray
BMW R 1200GS L/C

Offline SmokenFly

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Triumph 800 XC
  • I Ride for the freedom it gives me
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2012, 11:44:52 am »
In the last six months I had three close calls (caused by one duallie and two scooters), all three were due to bikers in the right hand side emergency lane when cars swerved in and away.

I am not a fan of the EL riding.  I managed to catch up to two of these riders and the arrogance of one biker to another is appauling...

I Agree stay away from the EL, you gonna take out a lane splitting biker, also had a few close calls like this.

Offline Motties

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Was Darksider
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2012, 11:49:29 am »
That is the bottom line.
'16 KTM 300 XCW

Offline RogerL

• Pack Dog
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2012, 07:19:53 am »
Weeeellllllll, 2 nights ago at just before 7pm, tootling along in the slow lane at 105km/h, along came a total idiot and for some reason or other I was not able to go fast enough for him in the slow lane.  So he resolved the matter by swerving out and then swerving back in front of me trying to cut me off and just missing the front of my car by about a foot.  Flashed my lights and boy did I get a reaction with him slowing down and pointing and carrying on like a real baboon.  When did the slow lane become his?

Is he totally mad - I deviate slightly (maybe I get a fright form him racing past) and I take his back wheel out.  And I have seen this on a few occassions as well, maybe the bikers have also just lost respect for a cars in general.

Offline vigilant

« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2012, 09:17:28 am »
and carrying on like a real baboon.  When did the slow lane become his?

Sadly one of the other problems on the N1 especially at night is the slow lane. I know a biker who was taken out while riding in the slow lane at 80 km/h (during construction). Truck decided to take the offramp from the second fast lane and clipped the bike ... fortunately not seriously hurt, but that was an angel riding with.

Glad you kept it cool RogerL
Ride the lightning

Offline RogerL

• Pack Dog
« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2012, 06:51:03 am »
The concern is that thie has become "normal" behaviour probably on more than this stretch of road.

And then when somebody dies, the topic gets very heated up.  And at the end of the day, there can only be losers.  There is no win-win option in this event!  Not for the driver and not for the biker...

Offline Cheetah

• Forum Vendor
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2012, 09:41:34 am »
The concern is that thie has become "normal" behaviour probably on more than this stretch of road.

And then when somebody dies, the topic gets very heated up.  And at the end of the day, there can only be losers.  There is no win-win option in this event!  Not for the driver and not for the biker...
:thumleft: Could not say it better. Agree 100%
As a man is, so he sees.

Bikes:
BMW R 1200 GS Adv
1981 BMW Bobber

Offline vigilant

« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2012, 08:28:59 am »
You see, just think if the toll roads were working, stats available at the touch of a button...

Funny you say that, this graphic made itself known last week, this data could only come from toll gantries.

https://twitter.com/TrafficSA/status/228734007104393216/photo/1/large

Ride the lightning

Offline GRIM

« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2012, 09:25:14 am »

Funny you say that, this graphic made itself known last week, this data could only come from toll gantries.

https://twitter.com/TrafficSA/status/228734007104393216/photo/1/large

I think that data comes from the taffic monitoring cameras that have been there for years, a lot of that map isn't covered by the toll roads.

Alcohol is essentially nature’s Leatt Brace – with it, you might not be able to move worth sh*t, but you can take a slam or two and be no worse for the wear.

Offline vigilant

« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2012, 10:11:32 am »
I think that data comes from the traffic monitoring cameras that have been there for years, a lot of that map isn't covered by the toll roads.

Possibly, there is a lot of non highway that has been included, but who was counting? The gantries would be able to give this info instantly, traffic cameras along Main reef going up roodepoort side? And all the way down Beyers?

Doesn't seem right ... i'd guess they started off with gantry data, and had teams estimate the non toll routes.
Ride the lightning

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2012, 10:19:23 am »
I think that data comes from the traffic monitoring cameras that have been there for years, a lot of that map isn't covered by the toll roads.

Possibly, there is a lot of non highway that has been included, but who was counting? The gantries would be able to give this info instantly, traffic cameras along Main reef going up roodepoort side? And all the way down Beyers?

Doesn't seem right ... i'd guess they started off with gantry data, and had teams estimate the non toll routes.

It looks like the same data that google traffic uses
Previous: KTM 690R, 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline vigilant

« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2012, 10:39:25 am »

Can you tell me more?
Ride the lightning

Offline Dwerg

« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2012, 10:45:27 am »

Can you tell me more?

Unfortunately not no. Go to goole maps, toggle the traffic option below where you toggle map/earth
Previous: KTM 690R, 790ADV, 640ADV, 950ADV, 250XCW BMW F650GS Single, F650GS Twin, F800GS, G450X, R50/2 Honda CRF450X, CRF230 x 2, VFR400 NC30, Z50 Mini Trail Yamaha BWS100 x 2, LB80 Chappy

Offline vigilant

« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2012, 10:47:37 am »
OK, this dog just learned a new trick:

Live traffic coverage features a colour-coded rating system on a scale from slow to fast, and uses crowd-sourcing. This means it analyses data such as the speed the car is moving - which is received from GPS-enabled phone users - and compiles it into information drivers can use.

My apologies, gantries had nothing to do with this.

http://www.southafrica.info/services/traffic-210612.htm

Curious way to collate the data, but valid i guess. Just helps to avoid traffic jams, not much else.
Ride the lightning

Offline da PEEG

• "So far, everything that has surprised me has been completely unexpected."
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2012, 10:56:04 am »

Can you tell me more?

Hi Vigilant,

Go to www.tomtom/livetraffic this gives you even better information than what you posted above. The data is obtained from vehicles with tracking devices in them. The tracking devices are in continuous contact with satellites which stream continuous data to apps like this.

I use it daily before I go on any trip around the Gauteng area, it saves me HOURS of unnecesary travel time, frustration and expenditure... 

da PEEG
BMW R1150GSA(Sidecar);  Yamaha XT660R

Offline da PEEG

• "So far, everything that has surprised me has been completely unexpected."
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT660
« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2012, 10:59:01 am »
BMW R1150GSA(Sidecar);  Yamaha XT660R