Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Tanzania to London  (Read 803 times)

Offline imo

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Vendor for Twisted Trails
    • Twisted Trails
Tanzania to London
« on: July 23, 2012, 04:40:55 pm »
Hey Guys

Skeet and i returned in January from a 5 week trip to Tanzania and back.

we want to start planning the completion of the dream to London.  The plan is to ship the bikes to Dar Es Salaam and ride to London.  the planned departure is December 2013, plenty of time.

we want to do it in about 6 weeks.

Firstly who is keen on joining us?

Any advice on this leg f the trip?

Any ideas on the cost of shipping the bikes to Dar and back to Durbs from London?

Any suggestion, warnings, do's, don'ts etc.........we welcome them

Thanks Chaps

Offline shanks

Re: Tanzania to London
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 11:37:13 am »
Sorry, no info for you. We are doing the trip to Tanzania end of September and also planning on completing the trip up north in a year or so, thus i'll be keeping a close eye on this.

Offline imo

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
    • Twisted Trails
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 11:52:08 am »
the trip to Tanz is epic.  Watch out for the busses and truckers in Zambia and Tanzania......they are frikking crazy

Offline jorust

• If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • JoRust
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 06:02:39 pm »
What does your route look like? I'm currently in Mali (rode SA to Mali), will be making my way through Northern Africa and then down the East Coast soon. Let me know if you have any specific questions and I'll see where I can help with info, tips etc.

First woman around Africa. Next up: Around the Americas. www.jorust.com
Website: www.jorust.com. Ride Report: http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=95770.0

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting: "Holy shit!! What a ride!!

Offline imo

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
    • Twisted Trails
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 06:45:32 pm »
Hi Jo, we haven't even looked at the route yet.  The intention is to get to london via the east coast.

I wud love to do the west coast, but we will have a time constraint.  Love your journey btw, have a blast and stay upright.

Regards,
Imo

Offline Viking 100

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 07:03:20 pm »
Sounds Aaaaawwweeeeesooome, you guys make me jealous. Have always wanted to do something like what you planning. I am brand new to this, but will definitely be interested. Will keep an eye on this thread... And it looks like Imo is taking the world apart there
If you not living on the edge...... you're taking up too much space !!!!!

Offline imo

• Vendors
  • Race Dog
    • Twisted Trails
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2012, 12:36:57 am »
Viking.......welcome.  its easy, just pack your bags and leave, it took me 7 years to finally make the decision to leave, i wish i had done it sooner.

have fun with the bike, hope you have loads of epic rides

Offline Camino Cerdo

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 04:41:17 pm »
Keep us posted on your plan and time table, we (wife and I) will be heading north about the same time. 
Our current plan is to leave Jburg m/l Nov. 25 and ride up the east with end point Italy by January 20th.
Bob
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but  rather a slide in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body totally worn out and screaming "Woo Hoo what a ride"

Offline steveindar

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
  • Eish!
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 04:13:38 pm »
Hi Folks.
I live in Dar es Salaam so if you need info/help, PM me and hopefully I'll put you onto track. We are a bunch of dedicated off-roaders here so there is always a solution.
Most of TZ is pretty cool to ride with no agro, just stay aware that everyone outside politics is poor so they'll nick anything not glued down. The way of Africa.
Dar is big, noisy, dusty and smelly and the traffic during rush hours is insane so keep your head about you. Rush hours are of indeterminate time and timings so good luck.
COVID KILLS SADDLE TIME!
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain

XRV750 Africa bike, KTM 525EXC plastic Africa bike, BMW1150GS Civilization bike; TY250Z Footup's ??? VFR750 Potential off-road hooligan bike!