Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: What is your worst biking fear/nightmare  (Read 5023 times)

Offline Motties

• Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Was Darksider
Re: What is your worst biking fear/nightmare
« Reply #100 on: August 01, 2012, 09:49:41 am »
This is what happened to me on the last day of a 40 day Africa trip. I was going at 130 kmh on the speedo and 120 kmh on the Gps when the chain snapped and locked the rear wheel. The bike went side ways like a speedway bike and at the last minute I managed to turn the handlebar the other way, this happened 4 times from one side to the other. You can see on the two photos how long it took to come to a stand still. I was standing in the middle when taking the two photos in two directions. On the last photo you will see the bend swing arm and mangled chain. You can read the story under >Ride reports>Long tours>Africa trip to the Equator and back in 40 days. Look on page 25 reply no 483.
Rear wheel lock up is my biggest fear as well. Especially on a highway with lots of cars and trucks around.
'16 KTM 300 XCW

Online Kaboef

• Jedi Knight
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
    • CFO Consult SA
« Reply #101 on: August 01, 2012, 10:15:49 am »
Amarideride had a chain snap on his AT while going over the bridge towards the Huguenot tunnel.
Locking the rear wheel and sending him on a collision course with a truck coming from the front.
Apparently at the last moment the chain let go and he could steer out of the way.

And Saint Attila raised the hand grenade up on high, saying, "O Lord, bless this thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayst blow thine enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy."

www.cfoconsult.co.za

Offline Skolla

« Reply #102 on: August 01, 2012, 06:39:35 pm »
All above is very scary,but i miss one,a footpeg brake while i'm standing,sjoe ::)

Offline See Duiwel

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Passop voor!
« Reply #103 on: August 01, 2012, 07:02:30 pm »
Nee o hel julle ouens is badluck! So goed om te praat van vliegtuie wat val terwyl jy wag om op te styg! Ek lees nie verder die thread nie. :xxbah:
A car window is just a TV screen

Offline Bushie

• Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • No Pain No Gain
« Reply #104 on: August 01, 2012, 07:10:19 pm »
No 1 fear is a chain snap at high speed, had it happen on gravel, shit scared of it happening on tar while pinning it. Most likely to happen and at No 2, hitting a Warthog or Duiker on the dirt road between the farm and town. I hit a big blue balled monkey and hardly felt anything, a big hog will be eina though.
Previous bikes owned: MB 50, DT50, KH 100, Enduro 175, TS 185, CB 750F, Honda 550Silverwing, KDX 200, KTM 200, CR 250, KTM 250, WR450/05, WR 450/07, F650GS Dakar, XT660, Transalp XLV 700, 200 suzuki.

Offline Tommy Transalp

• Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • The Older I get... the Faster I WAS!
« Reply #105 on: August 02, 2012, 04:25:24 pm »
I smacked a Duiker near Val. The bokkie run out from the bushes on my left... straight into the bike and knocked me flying. I slid for about 100 meters, and the bike a bit further. Duiker broken neck... dead instantly. I was lucky to have ATTGAT, and no injuries at all... lucky there were no oncoming vehicles though.
I live in my own world...
But it's ok... they know me there!
Honda XLV 650 Transalp
Honda CRF230
Royal Enfield 500 Classic

Offline BlueBull2007

• Caribbean
  • Global Moderator
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #106 on: August 02, 2012, 06:12:52 pm »
I don't have any nightmares per se about riding, probably because I'm an optimist going into it or just plain stupid :P When I still have control I see any dangerous or scary situation as scarey but doable/survivable/avoidable.

But my biking nightmare happens when I find myself flying along and then not having the control to rescue a dire situation, like a car with horse trailer suddenly pulling in front of me (fortunately slow enough only to end up with a very sore neck and broken wrist), or lane splitting between two trucks and they start moving together or losing the rubber side down in a high speed situation.

You know- those moments when your sphincter tries to run up through your body and hide in your neck. I really don't like those.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 06:14:39 pm by BlueBull2007 »
Rally nut. What could possibly go wrong?
Living the Rally Dream - Ride Report
Current bike: KTM 350 EXC   Previous bikes:  2010 WR450F, 2006 KTM450EXC,KTM 450RR, BMW800GS, KTM450EXC, BMW650 GS, BMW650 Dakar, and Honda XR250

Offline lecap

« Reply #107 on: August 03, 2012, 10:08:28 am »
They make me ride a BMW ::)
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline Tommy Transalp

• Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
  • The Older I get... the Faster I WAS!
« Reply #108 on: August 03, 2012, 04:06:36 pm »
I live in my own world...
But it's ok... they know me there!
Honda XLV 650 Transalp
Honda CRF230
Royal Enfield 500 Classic

Offline Goose

• NAPIER Country life is great!
  • Shop Mods
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #109 on: August 03, 2012, 04:32:46 pm »
mine's being sucked under a 16-wheeler when lane splitting..............  and worse that that is having an off where my wife is injured... THAT would be the pits!
"Life is a Waste of Time..... Time is a Waste of Life........ Get Wasted all the Time and have the Time of your Life"  ()

Offline J-dog

• Bike: Kymco (all models)
« Reply #110 on: August 03, 2012, 05:23:00 pm »
Biggest Biking fear----- Being rammed by car/taxi/truck from behind at a robot/stop street.

Another fear developing since jouning WD - Becoming like J-Dog  :peepwall:  :pot:  :imaposer:

Becoming like me is to ascend to god-like abilities on the bike and with women. You are welcome to attend my ashram. Joost and Amor did.

GreenMamba1974

« Reply #111 on: August 03, 2012, 05:24:08 pm »
dying

Offline imo

• Vendors
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Vendor for Twisted Trails
    • Twisted Trails
« Reply #112 on: August 03, 2012, 06:06:17 pm »
DOWNHILLS!!!.......Downhills scare the shit out of me