Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: What is your worst biking fear/nightmare  (Read 5020 times)

Offline Grrrr....

• ...eats seeds as a pastime activity.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • If you trim your tree beware the roots.
Re: What is your worst biking fear/nightmare
« Reply #60 on: July 28, 2012, 12:34:28 pm »
What happened to StevedW today except getting wrapped up in the sheet .  :- :(

???

What happened?

Offline King Louis

« Reply #61 on: July 28, 2012, 01:22:52 pm »
I got two, not really "fear" but rather worries: 1) that I won't be able to come home to my loved ones (for whatever reason) 2) to get to an accident scene and not really knowing what to do (did first aid, but I mean the thing you can not really judge how bad it is and it makes you feel so helpless...)

Offline JK

• Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2012, 07:34:50 pm »
Luckily the good chains these days are made of stronger metals than some time ago. Has anyone had a proper DID chain break while riding? These chains are used on MUCH more powerful road bikes. Imagine a chain that can withstand the fury of a hyabusa.

However, if you have a masterlink with a circlip...like I do at the moment, then possibly the circlip can come off, and the master link as well... it's for that reason that I want to replace it with a master link that goes on with chain tool - the one that rivets the pins - or whatever it's called. Anyone in JHB with a chain tool? Maybe to sell?PM me

My fear...is that I get used to not falling...that I lose my respect for bikes and ride it irresponsibly..or, a collision with a cage or something, leaving behind the missus  - or ending up in a wheelchair...sjo, that is a nightmare to me

Changed my first chain on the 990  2 nights ago. What a surprize when i noted the chain had no circlip. Spend 2 days trying to borrow a tool. Noe i am worrying if i did it right. But just did 450 km.s today so must be ok
When u are on tar u are lost  !

Offline TVB

• Deleted Users
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL650V Transalp
« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2012, 07:37:56 pm »
Bang ek val so hard dat ek in saal 7, 11 en 13 le :peepwall:

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #64 on: July 28, 2012, 07:38:28 pm »
Luckily the good chains these days are made of stronger metals than some time ago. Has anyone had a proper DID chain break while riding? These chains are used on MUCH more powerful road bikes. Imagine a chain that can withstand the fury of a hyabusa.

However, if you have a masterlink with a circlip...like I do at the moment, then possibly the circlip can come off, and the master link as well... it's for that reason that I want to replace it with a master link that goes on with chain tool - the one that rivets the pins - or whatever it's called. Anyone in JHB with a chain tool? Maybe to sell?PM me

My fear...is that I get used to not falling...that I lose my respect for bikes and ride it irresponsibly..or, a collision with a cage or something, leaving behind the missus  - or ending up in a wheelchair...sjo, that is a nightmare to me

Changed my first chain on the 990  2 nights ago. What a surprize when i noted the chain had no circlip. Spend 2 days trying to borrow a tool. Noe i am worrying if i did it right. But just did 450 km.s today so must be ok

Eish, this slipped my mind, I wad going to do this for you, been crazy busy here....you sorted?
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline JK

« Reply #65 on: July 28, 2012, 07:44:02 pm »

Eish, this slipped my mind, I wad going to do this for you, been crazy busy here....you sorted?
Yes no problem was gonna do the hammer thing but with my paranoia rather did the tool,thing. Lekker here her in the eastern free state, just bloody cold here :thumleft:

Offline JK

« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2012, 07:50:47 pm »
Oh adv thanks for the tubes as well. If i look at the old ones i think i changes them just in,time  :thumleft:

Offline SmokenFly

• Bike: Triumph 800 XC
  • I Ride for the freedom it gives me
« Reply #67 on: July 30, 2012, 02:30:47 pm »
After reading all these fears, I am certainly going to take alot more into consideration before blasting off to 200kmh  :ricky:

Offline GEE-SH

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #68 on: July 30, 2012, 02:51:28 pm »
Rear wheel lockup

Worst feeling in the world, as you can't do anything about it and thus you just brace and wait for the inevitable fall.

Once had my MTX50's chain snap and wind itself around the back sprocket, locking up the wheel while going down a hill on tar.
It's a helpless feeling you cannot describe to anyone.

I also had the same happening to me also on my red MTX50 around a bend, 16 wearing a sleeveless t-shirt and slops.  It was a day before we left for a 2 week holiday in Durbs.  I ended up without any skin on my back and my mother digging tar gravel out of my back.   We went on holiday, and the old man said the salt sea water will be good for my back...........I screamed so hard the lifesaver came over to hear if I was OK.  Needles to say I had a nice open area around me everytime I went for a swim as the scabs turned blister like in the water........
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 02:55:45 pm by GEE-SH »
BMW R9T, BMW R100RS, BMW R80, Triumph Bonneville T100, Norton Commando, KTM 300XC-W, Peugeot 50cc Help My Trap, 2003 BMW R1200C

Offline cloudgazer

• RPMods
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
    • fontera
« Reply #69 on: July 30, 2012, 04:08:15 pm »
Tubes going while in a corner... or a blowout at any time actually.

Never even thought about my chain snapping - thanks guys.
 :-[

Offline GerhardK

« Reply #70 on: July 30, 2012, 07:46:32 pm »
Worst biking fear.........That this is just a dream and bikes do not exist.....and I am close to waking-up :o :( >:(
Om erens te kom in die lewe moet jy jou sokkies op trek of jou panty af trek...maar buk gaan jy buk....

Offline Rooikat

• Bike: Honda XR500
  • Honda XL500S
« Reply #71 on: July 30, 2012, 07:56:51 pm »
Being rammed from behind at a stop. Had two close calls last year on the same day! Too many counts not stopping for a red light, never mind a yellow one.

I can't understand some bikers' fear of a rear wheel blowout. Worst falls I ever had was from front wheel locking up - in both cases, the brake stay gave up. I had a rear wheel flat at speed on my last long trip, fortunately could keep it upright until I stopped.
"The only reason for cleaning things is if you want to mount, frame and hang them in your living room" - The famous CJC

"The older I get, the better I was."

"I don't care a f*** what it looks like, as long as it works" - The famous CJC

Offline Skipskop

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • ;-)
« Reply #72 on: July 30, 2012, 08:17:50 pm »
Riding over the edge of a cliff ,I actually had nightmares of this a couple of times,flying through the air with the bike and then I wake up in a sweat, but the pills are helping a lot  :peepwall:
" Of all the things I lost in life, what I miss the most, is my mind"
DRZ 400 E ,1200GS WR450- KLR650 Side-car
Yamaha CV80 Beluga
"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing"
"Old age is not for the inexperienced" "If you haven't grown up by age 50 , you don`t have to"

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #73 on: July 30, 2012, 08:30:59 pm »
I sometimes wake up, drenched in sweat, from a dream in which I am riding along on my Yam and as I look down I see that it is sprouting two Boxer cylinders. I try to kick them off with my boots, but they just give way and grow bigger and bigger, until they are humongous, almost the size of an actual 1200's pots.  :'(

Offline See Duiwel

• Passop voor!
« Reply #74 on: July 30, 2012, 08:32:30 pm »
I am very scared On jeeptracks and lekker sandpaaie that you haven't traveled before cause of people putting up draadhekke en fences to keep cattle on one side or keep out taxis traveling through their farms.

Happened two times to me in 2 years.The last one I went at 120+- on a 2 spoor pad that I use every week.Stupid farmer put up a temporary fence right over the road ! I woke up in hospital ... :-\ Luckely a nother farmer saw it happen,moered me in his bakkie and straight to hospital.Broke my right arm,shoulder,2 ribs and fractured pelvis. I never ride in front on dirt roads from that day on ...never !
Ja ma jou oge is mos effe gefok,of hoe?
A car window is just a TV screen

Offline Chairman Meow

• Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Obey the Kitty
« Reply #75 on: July 30, 2012, 08:40:16 pm »
I sometimes wake up, drenched in sweat, from a dream in which I am riding along on my Yam and as I look down I see that it is sprouting two Boxer cylinders. I try to kick them off with my boots, but they just give way and grow bigger and bigger, until they are humongous, almost the size of an actual 1200's pots.  :'(

:laughing4: :lol8:........or while riding your yammie  it actually turns into a piano!........and suddenly handles better!  ::)

Offline 2StrokeDan

• a Man of Character
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Slim like Bill, straight like Steve
« Reply #76 on: July 30, 2012, 08:44:31 pm »
Glad nie snaaks nie Stoelman Katgeluide! :imaposer:
Is eintlik blerrie snaaks :imaposer: :imaposer:

Offline Dux

« Reply #77 on: July 30, 2012, 08:57:51 pm »

:laughing4: :lol8:........or while riding your yammie  it actually turns into a piano!........and suddenly handles better!  ::)

Should sound better :biggrin: :biggrin:
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389 / 065 967 4661
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Offline ratrap

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
« Reply #78 on: July 30, 2012, 09:01:50 pm »

:laughing4: :laughing4:
No matter how much you push the envelope, it'll still be stationery.

Offline Bernt

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • riding makes me smile
« Reply #79 on: July 30, 2012, 09:10:55 pm »

I think the thread is about nightmares, not wishfull thinking
Suzuki AC 50. Suzuki TC 200. Honda XL 175. Honda XL 185. BMW Dakar(2001). BMW R1200GS(2004). BMW R1200GS(2006). BMW R1200GS (2010) KTM 1190R (2015) BMW R1200GS lc (2016)