Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: CRF450X over heating  (Read 662 times)

Offline Papwiel

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: AJS (all models)
  • PAPWIEL
CRF450X over heating
« on: July 30, 2012, 06:43:39 am »
Hi.
I've just bought myself a CFR450X which I don't intend to race. Maybe not the best choice for what I want to use it for, but I've got it. I've been warned about the fact that it gets very hot if you drive technical terrain/very slowly for long due to a lack of air to cool the radiator and that the engin can sieze.
Anyone experienced this as a problem or any ideas how to overcome this? I was told to fix a radiator fan (which make sense) but want to hear some more ideas on this issue.
A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people remembering the same thing.

Offline Dux

Re: CRF450X over heating
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 10:31:26 am »
Have you tried it yourself yet ?  Rather than relying on hearsay why don't you try it out yourself first of all , but fitting a fan is generally a good idea anyway .
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389 / 065 967 4661
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Offline Berty77

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Africa Twin = GROOT KLR
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 09:37:03 pm »
Hi boet, I have a WR450. It looks like its a common thing with 450s. Mine started to push coolant pass the radiator cap to the reservoir after 30mins of first gear tech riding with lots of clutch use. I dont know if the X has a reservoir, if it does, you can fit a replacement cap that has a higher presure release or you can just fit a fan with a manual switch to turn it on once it seems to get too hot. I used a genuine Yamaha fan from a YZF-R150 road bike, its cheap, works great and doesnt have a big current draw on the electrical system. Also try some brands of engine coolants such as ENGINE-ICE or equal. The fan is the only lasting salution if your planning to overheat it regularly.
Skaap tjops, Lammie se kerrie wors en Klein Karoo sterre;
dis mos die lewe!

Offline ahlbebuck

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • G450X, CRF450R, XR200R
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 09:43:25 pm »
My son's CRF450R also had an overheating problem at one stage. Drained the coolant, did pressure test on the radiator and system which showed OK, refilled the system and let engine run for a while with open radiator cap to ensure all air is out, topping up while running. Never had the overheating problem again.

Remember these are high performance engines and as such tend to run hotter. Check your air/ fuel mixture - lean running also raises temperatures.
If you can't fix it with a hammer, its an electrical problem!