Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: DR650 - Electrical Issue  (Read 316 times)

Offline the_priest

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
    • The Ghostbane Collective
DR650 - Electrical Issue
« on: July 30, 2012, 06:46:29 pm »
This morning when I turned the bike on, the indicator light on my dash was on dimly. The right side flickers were also on dim. I set the flickers to left and they worked (well except the back left as that unit is busted), then I set them to right and they also worked. When I clicked the bike to 1st gear the dim lights went away and the flickers worked fine so I started riding to work.

On the way to work suddenly the dim dash indicator + dim right side started again, but this time the left indicators refuse to work and right only work dimly. Blubs are all fine (save for back left), and bike was 100% yesterday. I noticed that the headlight and hooter aren't working either but I'm not sure if this was broken before or during my ride to work.

Any ideas where to start looking :S

Offline the_priest

Re: DR650 - Electrical Issue
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 07:10:16 pm »
Quick update: If I unplug the right rear indicator the permanent dim dash light and right indicators stops. But I still don't have any indicators/headlight/hooter.

I'll continue to troubleshoot when i get back later.

Offline the_priest

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 11:32:16 pm »
Further update:

Replaced the back indicators as I've been meaning to do that for awhile. Noticed I had a break in the coupler for the rear brake switch, so fixed that too. Still nothing flicking properly, nor headlight or horn.

So I disconnected the coupler of the headlight/indicators/horn switches and started short'ing the different systems with some wire. Horn worked, R indicators worked, L indicators worked although in both cases the front indicators were very dim. However as soon as I shorted the headlight dim or brights all the indicators would light up and the headlight wouldn't work. So I then reconnected the coupler and removed my headlight bulb (it was recently replaced) and the system ran as with my short'ing test.

I'm therefore thinking this is an issue with the headlight. :P
Both 10A headlight fuses are fine, so I'm going to swap the bulb out again tomorrow (filaments are fine, but there appears to be a black burn on the 1 pin which holds the dim filament.) and see what happens.

Another option is a short on the B/W lead which is common to all the lights (but not the horn  ???). I also wonder if it would have anything to do with the fact that I have the license plate light coupler unplugged, but that's been unplugged for months so I doubt it.

Any comments/opinions are welcome. :)

Offline the_priest

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 11:02:34 pm »
Plugging a new headlight bulb in just makes all the flickers go on fully and the headlight very dimly.
I'm totally confused now....

Offline Dux

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 06:15:07 pm »
Sorted , broken earth wire  :thumleft:
Motoworx
motoworx1@gmail.com
073 232 5389
Unit 6 Viben square
8 Viben Road , Brackenfell

Offline the_priest

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 07:58:43 pm »
Beat me to it. :P

Eventually went to Dux to help me with it. Turns out the wiring loom was chaffing against the frame and it went through the insulating tape + grounding wire.
We replaced a short section of wire and everything was sorted.

Thanks for the help Dux!