Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Zimbabwe/Moz/Malawi/Tanzania/Zanzibar/Zambia/Nam/Botswana  (Read 5645 times)

Offline Zonkelnut

• Whatever
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
  • Yo! Sup?
Zimbabwe/Moz/Malawi/Tanzania/Zanzibar/Zambia/Nam/Botswana
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2006, 11:45:15 am »
OK. This is my photos. So lets hope we get the other pics from the other guys. My photos do not have all the action photos taken with mud and going over the tree in the road. You will have to wait for that.

This is the route that Hennie and I followed. We returned via Zambia while the others went up to Zanzibar. I am anxious to see those photos. And just to jump Stephan before he comment on it: ?It was not that the Capo could not make it to Zanzibar, but rather that the speed with which they were going, cost us valuable experience in not enjoying the scenery and not taking photos.?. Non of the bikes had problems and everything went perfect. I do however think that the Capo surprised all of us in that it went everywhere that the GS?s went. It was comfortable and handled the mud and rocks and stones with ease. I am not an expert biker but not once did the Capo feel hard to control. When we did sand in Botswana, I only put my feet out once or twice. I always knew that the Capo is good in sand but it surprised me how well it handled the mud and other stuff.
One time I took the wrong line through the mud and ended moving sideways for a few meters. But the wait of the bike is well balanced and with no effort the bike stayed upright. A good thing for I was alone and the BM oaks could not capture that moment on film. But it was my fault. And although there were times (90%) that I was shaking, it was more out of not knowing how the Capo would react than a problem with the bike.
I am very impressed with the Aprilia and besides kicking ass on the tar, did extremely good on other conditions. The hardest route was a 3/5 but I recon the Capo would handle 4/5 just as well. Ground clearance was never a problem and going over rocks never scraped the bottom, except going over the tree. But so did all the other bikes (GS) .
So all and all the Capo surprised all of us. I can not say much about the BMW?s, for they have proved themselves worthy a long time ago.

OK. That said, here is the route

We met up at the BJ?s over the highway just after Zambezi (Pta) going north.

I think we slept at just before the Lion & Elephant Motel at Bubi (Zimbabwe). This is a couple of Hennie?s friends, Alf and his wife.

Here we used the petrol from our cans and some bought petrol. Very expensive and amazing that they did have petrol in Zimbabwe. On the way to Harare.

In Moz I did not take photos. I know that the others did. We slept there at the Tete Camping Site (S16 09 19.1 E33 36 01.3). It is a NG Church campsite. Use to be in good condition. But went down the hill. Still a nice place to sleep. On the edge of the township next to the river. I think it is the Zambezi running through Moz.

These photos were taken at a campsite just before Nkhotakota right on the Malawi lake. We stayed in cabins. Very very nice and friendly owners. The guy is from SA and married a French girl.

At Nkhata Bay.

At Mzusu we stopped at a missionary?s house. The purpose of the trip was for Hennie to do training in Malawi. This guy was his contact and leader of the churches (over 70) that they put up.
Here someone is holding a baby.

While the others were too lazy to get up when the baby started to cry. Well, I guess someone riding a Aprilia must have tons of compassion.

At Mzusu?s children orphan place. On the GS is Darryl.  

On our way up to Karonga where we would stay for 3 days for Hennies training.

This is where we took the dirt to Liningstonia (S10 36 41.3 E34 06 48.3).

Livingstonia is on top of a high mountain. Some doctor lost his wife due to Malaria and decided to build a missionary, hospital, school and university on the mountain top. Apparently it is too high for mosquitoes to reach (I should have stayed there). Those bloody mosquitoes!  

Stephan and Roger at T-Junction.

Darryl and Eugene at T-Junction.

At Livingstonia.

While I took pics, the others decided to leave me. I decided to take a route on my GPS and found them not far away having launch.

This is a view from the top looking down at the Malawi Lake.

Then as we went down we found this tree that fell over the road. I only have 2 pics but Darryl and Eugene took photos as Stephan took our bikes over the ramp that we build with stones. I saw why Stephan King (Touratech SA) is one of the best. Thank you for taking my bike over. I was not in the mood to drop of the cliff. What the pics don?t show is that on one side it went straight down. Stephan would run next to the bikes just centimeters from the drop. I may have nuts, but he got some huge balls! Well, none of us wanted to turn around and do the road back as we came. It was not fun. So we had to go over the tree.

This photo shows the height of the tree. Very exciting stuff. I think this is one of those good Touratch marketing fotos. But wait till you see the ?taking over? photos.

From the other side the tree does not look high, but I recon it was a good 40cm high. Stephan in the front.

While we were negotiating the terrain, Hennie went ahead to Karonga. He used the time to inspect the crops planted by the church for the people of the church.

Other photos were we stayed and when we decided that some of the tin foods need to be eaten.

Sunset over Malawi Lake.

Hennie and I then split and slept at Lilongwe.

Going through Zambia. We slept at Eureka Campsite (S15 30 12.3 E28 15 54.0)  just outside Lusaka.

At Livingston in Zambia we met up with 1 guy and 1 girl (engaged) who rode all the way down from Sweden on bikes. She got a Honda Dominator and he a BMW 650 Fundero (or something like that). I was very flattered as they could not stop talking about the Capo and Honda?s. They said that there are close to 5 other people doing the same trip on TransAlps. They did a major service on the bikes before they left and did not replace anything on the bikes. They had 2 sets of tires and according to them it would last until they reach Cape Town.
They say the bikes did not take extra oil, the chains is still going after 24 KM. Nice to meet people that is doing it with what they have. It proves my point that there are very little poorly build bikes out there. O yes, for this I might get hammered, but if the spirit is willing, the bike will follow.

At the Vic Falls. It is wet wet wet. Do not be a hero and go without a rain suit. I was wet into my boots. But very impressive.

At Popa Falls (S18 07 18.7 E21 34 59.1) in the Caprivi Strip.

Ending at Drotskys Cabins Camp Sites (S18 24 54.4 E21 53 10.7) in Shakawe - Botswana.

* And this is my pics. I will submit the other images as soon as I get them from Stephan.
100001 110010 1101010

Offline Zonkelnut

• Whatever
  • Yo! Sup?
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2006, 12:05:25 pm »
Yes now that I read it again, there are spelling errors and it is lunch and not launch and ... Sorry  :roll:
100001 110010 1101010

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2006, 12:08:22 pm »
Thank you very much Zonkel. It was well worth the wait

and thanks for the coordinates, very valuable - they will be saved and used :)

I will be asking a couple of questions later, as soon as I read through your report again

Offline >Herman<

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • If not now, when?
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2006, 12:08:31 pm »
Thanks Zonk, cool report & pics. Wens ek was daar!!!  :(

shark_za

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2006, 12:11:58 pm »
Awesome dude.

Kev

« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2006, 12:27:46 pm »
Very nice Zonks! :thumbup: Do not worry about spelling or grammer. The message is important... and you got that spot on!  :)

Offline FortyZA

• East London
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2006, 12:55:27 pm »
Hey Zonkelnut,

I must say this again, NICE REPORT and ALSO NICE PIC'S.

What was the feelings of the locals during your trip and what if any was the experience of border post crossings?  What did most officials ask for?

I think persons wanting to do such a trip, would like to know so that they can have all that is needed to make it much easier.

Again, I cannot wait to see the rest of the guys pic's/

Eddie
BMW 1220 Adv (2006)
WR450F (777 - cool blue)
KDX 250 (Pink panther) Sold

Offline Lootch67

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2006, 01:14:26 pm »
Awesome! Very impressed with the Capo.
98 Black AT & the wheel from a 04 KLR 650.

Offline Zonkelnut

• Whatever
  • Yo! Sup?
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2006, 01:34:32 pm »
FortyZA, Good questions. This all depends on the border posts. Namibia and Botswana are the easiest border crossing you can imagine. The rest are expensive and time consuming.

What you need: Papers of ownership of the bike (if it is in the name of the bank, get a letter from them stating that you can take the bike out and 1 from the dealer stating something similar). They all know what you need if you ask them. Do not use old docs but get new dated docs. If the bike is paid for, you need the registration papers in your name. This is a must and every border post wants that. Also get a police clearance certificate. Then your passport, driver license and plenty of money. You have to buy insurance at every border and are normally active for 1-6 months. Botswana is 12 months. And that is it.

O yes, do not always except people at border crossings assistance to help you through the queues. I know that Sharkie and I used someone at Moz a month or more ago and it worked well. But see that as unique. It is very easy and clear how to cross a border so you do not need someone's help. They will just rip you off. All you need is patients for the queues.

And then, besides Nam and some places in Botswana, you will have to have their currency to pay for insurance on entry. There will be people who will exchange currency, but you need to know the current exchange rate before negotiating, otherwise they will rip you off.

The people. I was surprised with the attitude of Zimbabwean people. They treat you with respect and this you will find in every country. I still have to meet a place where the locals are difficult. Always remember to be humble and remember it is their country!). But that is not the same with the government officials. Malawi, Zambia, Namibia and Botswana Officials are easy, pleasant and very professional. Moz is hard. But everybody knows that. Zim was not hard but we might have been, o no wait, when we left Zim the one official asked for our police clearance certificates and only one of us had one. No, it was not me. We bribed him with 70 rand. That is the other advantage; nearly every official can be bribed.

It is a myth that people give you hassles. Even those people coming down from Sweden said everybody was pleasant and friendly, except the officials.

So I can sum it up as 5 important documents:
1.   Passport
2.   Vehicle documentation (from bank and dealer or when paid for in full, registration document in your name)
3.   Police clearance for vehicle
4.   Currency (or buy it at border post, but know the exchange rate before negotiations)
5.   Driver license
6.   Insurance for each country bought at border post (police look for that everywhere and driver license)

And that is it. We did not lock our rooms once and when we slept in tents, everything was as we left it.
100001 110010 1101010

Offline Zonkelnut

• Whatever
  • Yo! Sup?
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2006, 01:35:07 pm »
sorry, 6 important docs
100001 110010 1101010

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2006, 01:40:20 pm »
did anybody need a AA carnet de passage?

Offline Zonkelnut

• Whatever
  • Yo! Sup?
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2006, 01:46:30 pm »
Quote from: "LuckyStriker"
did anybody need a AA carnet de passage?

A what???

I do know that you can buy a book for insurance from the AA which they accept in every country. They just fill in the books and off you go. It is easier and much faster than to buy the insurance from the border. But, a big but, apparently you need to give a deposit to the AA of R10 000.00 before you get it. And then when you are back, they will refund you the R10 000 minus the insurance you have taken.

Is this what you are talking about? And if so, I do not have that mutch tom to put down for insurance.
100001 110010 1101010

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2006, 01:48:37 pm »
Ahhh. The true adverturers! Going through foreign countries with bikes only, lugging everthing you need with you on the bike! 8)

Me personally like the back-up bakkie on such trips. :oops:

Looked like an awesome experience!

Well done guys!
He who angers you, controls you.

Offline Zonkelnut

• Whatever
  • Yo! Sup?
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2006, 01:52:21 pm »
Another thing Forty, pack light. It those bags of mine were a sleeping bag, a mattress, a tent, a chair, clothes for 12 days, toiletries, toilet paper, chain wax, some tools, slangbyt  :lol: , tire repair kit, a air pump, knives, and much more. The only stuff outstanding was food and petrol, which I knew we would get everywhere. So it is one bag and a top box. The tank bag had my camera, sun glasses and documentation. Very few items as I like to lie down on my tank for long distance riding.
100001 110010 1101010

Offline >Herman<

• If not now, when?
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2006, 01:52:27 pm »
Sooo, when are you starting your own "Into Africa" touring company?  :twisted:  :twisted:

Offline JourneyMan

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Pretoria
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2006, 01:54:43 pm »
Quote from: "bla-bla black sheep"
Sooo, when are you starting your own "Into Africa" touring company?  :twisted:  :twisted:

Not a bad notion after all!
He who angers you, controls you.

Offline Zonkelnut

• Whatever
  • Yo! Sup?
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2006, 01:55:08 pm »
Quote from: "bla-bla black sheep"

You should ask that for Hennie, he does this trip 3 times a year on his bike.  :roll:

Vra bietjie vir Stephan wa issie pics?
100001 110010 1101010

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
  • Bike: BMW R100GS / Kalahari
  • Some multi-task. I multi-slack.
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2006, 01:58:39 pm »
Another cool trip under the belt Zonkel, cool pics and looks like a great adventure :)
Maverick Disclaimer: This thread is intended for the use of the individual(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this thread is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.

Offline Zonkelnut

• Whatever
  • Yo! Sup?
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2006, 02:00:53 pm »
I have to say Bla-Bla, those GS manne are a wild bunch. Terwyl ek gebewe het, het hulle rustig gechill. Ek kon nie eers saam hulle iets eet nie. Skoon my aptyt verloor.

Ma ek hoop nie daai twee  :twisted:  :twisted: van jou beteken jy was lelik nie?  :evil:
100001 110010 1101010

Offline >Herman<

• If not now, when?
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2006, 02:01:18 pm »
Quote from: "Zonkelnut"
Vra bietjie vir Stephan wa issie pics?

Ek sal vir Stephen vra...