Leo's GSC Alternative

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leo

Grey Hound
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS HP2
" Man dis nou 'n oulike meisie daai, ek sal haar Plunder met my Persoonlikheid" That's Vinnige Fanie's comments as a delightful petite little Pamela Anderson look-alike strolled past our camping spot. We were well into out third bottle of Paradizo Rum and Rasberry and decidedly more outspoken that earlier that day. We were in a foreign country doing what most DS riders do, having a helluva great time. But ............. as per usual I'm getting all carried away, so let me start from the top.

With BmwobbleU asking relatively steep entry fees to the GSC, most of my regular riding mates decided that the GSC was not going to be attended. I volunteered to take the okes on a week long vacation to Mozambique, and bring them back with some change for their R2500 bucks. Unfortunately things took a wrong twist when my landlord decided to ask me to leave within two months and as it turned out I had to evacuate by end of Sep. I had to be back by 27 Sep so I could move  :( We were going to be 13 guys, way too big for my liking, but there's also a saying :"The more the merrier". As 22 Sep drew closer, several guys pulled out, and eventually we were going to be 6 guys with 2 sons joining. I met Antonie early Sat morning and headed to Witbank where we were to meet Excalibur.

Ponta.jpg

By 7 we were chit chatting at the Shell between Witbank and Middelburg, ready for the forthcoming trip. Excalibur was wearing his brand spanking new " Hell Leo, there a big problem with my gearbox" Santiago's and all of his other recently acquired bling.

Ponta130.jpg

We headed off towards Ermelo and joined Excalibur's sister and brother in law for breakfast before we twisted the eager throttles' towards Sodwana. Vinnige Fanie was already awaiting our arrival, nice camping spot, so we just had to get there, and do it fast.

We took the turn off past Jozini, and from there headed along a fairly nice gravel road to Sodwana

Ponta1.jpg

Ponta2.jpg

Ponta3.jpg

Antonie putting his Adv through it's passes

Ponta4.jpg

Excalibur doing his thing...  ;D

Ponta5.jpg

Soon we met with the rest of the crowd, and were ready for an evening of fun around the camp fire.

Ponta8.jpg

These mongoose type creatures visited our campsite twice a day and scavenged all food that was wasted.

Ponta6.jpg

Reasonably tame and came pretty close.

Ponta7.jpg

We hired a hand to sit at the site all day, keeping a watchful eye for the baboons, they are a real problem, and have even managed the art of unzipping a tent. Sodwana was a real let down for me. The camp site was polluted by several @ssholes who insisted upon playing their music for the entire Nature Reserve. SO no quiet evenings, enjoying the silence and company.

The area is still relatively "wild" and one has to make ingenious plans to avoid disaster from all walks of life - even the ants

Ponta9.jpg

Ponta10.jpg

Vinnige Fanie had booked several dives and while he and his brother were out exploring the great big blue we were just lazing around, talking serious kark.

Excalibur roughing it in Africa, cell phone in hand  ;D

Ponta11.jpg

Some delightful tractor drivers  ;)

Ponta12.jpg

Sodwana was buzzing - peak holiday season

Ponta13.jpg

Ponta14.jpg

Ponta15.jpg

Ponta16.jpg

Monday morning arrived all to soon and we had to head to Ponta in Mozambique. Patman had called me on Sunday  evening and said he and Bikermmice & Son's was not going to join us, some excuse about flu and drips and what what what, so we were going to be just four guys.

Vinnige Fanie was doing his last dive that morning, so while he went diving; we set off to explore Lake Sibaya and area.