Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Rides with my son / daughter - a short collection  (Read 1367 times)

Offline Wayne Duck

• Race Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Freedom Behind Bars
Rides with my son / daughter - a short collection
« on: August 16, 2012, 01:43:06 pm »
Due to a few reports lately of dads and sons / daughters rides I thought I'd post a few pics with the stories. Also, this is practice for me to get it right before posting RR's of my other trips!

Firstly a few trips with my son. Before he was old enough to ride on his own bike (legally) he sat pillion with me, dressed in my "old" kit, hence it looking a bit baggy on him is some pics. He has grown into (and out of!) the kit over the years, he's just a tad taller than me now!

This is father and son at a small croc farm in the Groot Marico district. I like the sign!

Lunch stop.

Die Oog, Groot Marico district.

Part of a trip through Botswana.

Next few pics from a trip where we followed part of the Wild Coast Eco Route (Tracks 4 Africa), the northern bit down to Hole in the Wall.
On the way past Port Shepstone we detoured to go try out the gorge swing at Oribi...1st me then Brad.

Passing by...

Some interesting roads...

Coffee Bay - we stayed at the Coffee Shack, great place and opportunity for Brad to learn to surf!

On another trip, off to Swaziland via Waterberg, Mpumalanga top to bottom then in at Bulembu. It rained for a large part but still, a lot of fun was had!

Deep in the Magoebaskloof forests

Summit Lodge (train coach accommodation), Graskop

Wanted to do the Gorge Swing at Graskop but the rain was just too much...

...but then it cleared for a morning! Jumping together was a great bonding experience!

Muddy road from Bulembu to Piggs Peak. From here through the hills to the top of the "T Road" and down to Royal Swazi Sun for a few days. Nice to take him to see where his dad lived and worked, here and Nhlangano Sun, from '89 to '91...before he was born!

Next, a trip with my daughter to Port St John's...
Links to my Ride Reports...
I have listed (with links) all my ride reports at the start of this ride report here:
http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=121459.0

Offline Gerrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: Suzuki DR 800S Big
  • Wiff a Sidecar... form Kabega
Re: Rides with my son / daughter - a short collection
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 01:53:23 pm »
 :thumleft:
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline Wayne Duck

• Race Dog
  • Freedom Behind Bars
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2012, 02:01:04 pm »
I had never done a multiply day bike trip with my daughter so planned this one to Port St John's. Unfortunately a cold front swept in and it rained hard and non stop almost all the way there and back. Maybe because of my precious cargo (or maybe I was not lus for the challenge / being lazy!) I decided to stick to the tar all the way (it is different when with my son, somehow I become a lot more protective and cautious with my daughter / girlfriend on the back  :)

Getting ready to leave

Short sightseeing ride near Port St John's on the only rain free day. Went up to the airstrip as well, great views from there.

That's it for this topic. Next RR will be the first long ride I did with my son riding his own bike  :eek7:
I have listed (with links) all my ride reports at the start of this ride report here:

Offline Gerrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Teelhond
  • Bike: Suzuki DR 800S Big
  • Wiff a Sidecar... form Kabega
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 02:06:37 pm »
Yip, those of us who have done it, know how special that feeling is of sharing our passion with our kids. That time together is priceless. Looking forward to the next RR.
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Offline HB 9

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 05:18:25 pm »
Precious memories and beautiful pics!  :thumleft:
Tread lightly

Offline MINZI

• Under Construction!
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Triumph Tiger 1200 Explorer
  • Right here, right now, nothing else matters.
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2012, 05:24:48 pm »
You are very fortunate to share you passion with your kids and include them in your trips.  :thumleft:
If you do not STAND for something, you will FALL for anything!

The following users thanked this post: Wayne Duck

Offline Lear300

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2012, 05:37:08 pm »
You are very fortunate to share you passion with your kids and include them in your trips.  :thumleft:

+1

Offline Wayne Duck

• Race Dog
  • Freedom Behind Bars
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2012, 06:53:56 pm »
Thanks Minzi and Lear300...you are right, but not only my trips. As a single parent there's no such thing as sharing the parenting duties, I had to be very involved in everything. The plus side is that we became a very close knit team.
They're both out of the house now (but not out of the wallet yet!)...Phew, the freedom to do what I want, when I want is amazing  ;D