Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Bad Behaviour by Adventure Bikers In Northern Tuli  (Read 17893 times)

Offline PoepolJack

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Really shy member since 2006-11-08
Re: Bad Behaviour by Adventure Bikers In Northern Tuli
« Reply #100 on: August 21, 2012, 09:50:51 am »
Next thing someone builds a house in Kaokoland on the banks of the Huab River and complain about the bikes passing. Jirre the things we did in that sand. If someone tell me now we fucked up the environment I would feel quite guilty.  :P

Areas should be clearly marked if it is not accessable for bikes or vehicles. 
There ARE signs there stating the regulations.... These assholes obviously can't read either! >:(
Exactly my point!!! As I said earlier; maybe they have not received the memo that say: Please collect your brain at the Post Office. Could any one spot any of those number plates on a Ride Report???
You have one life... Live it!!!

Offline KTM Jagermeister

• Bike: KTM 950 SE
« Reply #101 on: August 21, 2012, 10:01:20 am »
You don't want to be on the wrong side of the BDF or B Police. 

Offline roxenz

• rocks make sense
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • cheerful yesterdays and confident tomorrows
« Reply #102 on: August 21, 2012, 10:21:42 am »
Whilst in complete agreement on the inapropriateness of the reported behaviour, and very upset over the bad reputation this will no doubt create in some minds about "bikers", I don't think we should immediately call for banning or other extreme punishments ("f*ck them" - really? not me!  ;D ). If the culprits are identified (or 'fess up), I think it would be altogether better for them to be educated in how short-sighted there actions were, how very angry a lot of people are with them and then be given the chance to make amends by apologising to the landowners and to other adventure bikers. This will not only create a better legacy with the landowners, but may turn the perpetrators into more responsible adv bikers, perhaps even get them to preach and practice responsible adv riding.  Harsh punishment may just cement an "eff you" attitude...

Offline Skaiidawg

« Reply #103 on: August 21, 2012, 10:29:49 am »
am i the only one that is not surprised that they all had GP number plates?  its just that when ever i go some where in Africa and there are SAFFA's fucking around and being pricks, 8 out of 10 times its vaalies.

no offence to you law abiding vaalies on here, but its just something ive notices both here and overseas.

That's a bold statement and totally uncalled for......you may expect a lot of criticism my friend!

Much as I hate to admit it, he's probably right... funny thing is that many people I speak to from out-of-country talk about the GP idiots that seem to feel that they can do as they please.  

I was always under the impression that travel was done to expose ourselves to other peoples worlds... not take ours with and dump it on others...
There are groups of people that do that and when enough people from an area do it, then unfortunately all get painted with the same tar brush...
Think 'the Americans', perceived as loud, boisterous and obnoxious... many in Africa see the GP crowd in a similar light....

WOW do you really think all GP number plates out there are specific to people from Gauteng? I do rent cars on a regular basis and 98% of those cars rented are registered in Gauteng, so I dont think its fair to label almost all of them to be pricks.
Courtesy from Grizz: In this day and age religion is often frowned upon, but I have met some of the most amazing people from various religions over time.
From Buddhists to Sikhs, through Muslims and Christians and everything in between, there are many good people out there and if you do not allow yourself to be swayed by petulant religious opinion, the world is an awesome place with the odd idiot in between trying to make it rubbish for others.

Offline Goose

• NAPIER Country life is great!
  • Shop Mods
  • Forum Whore
« Reply #104 on: August 21, 2012, 10:30:57 am »
Mmmmmmmmmmm  someone (an American female friend) once asked me whether I liked Americans...... I said no - not the ones I'd met before.

She wanted to know why?

I answered that they were loud, arrogant and threw their weight around a lot and had a "look at me attitude" .........

She said - "funny you say that, I agree........ but I've heard South Africans described as the Americans of Africa...."

Food for thought....?

What these riders did is inexcusable .......

should they be punished - well how will that rectify the situation as the damage has already been done - not only to the environment, but the reputation of DS bikers in general.
The fact is that the owners of the property and perhaps any tourists present, would already have placed the black mark against all DS riders... so whatever is decided with regard to punishment or rectification of the matter - needs to involve a serious PR campaign by the guilty parties to ensure the rest of the bikers are not now labelled as idiots.....

"Life is a Waste of Time..... Time is a Waste of Life........ Get Wasted all the Time and have the Time of your Life"  č(ēŅē)õ

Offline lecap

« Reply #105 on: August 21, 2012, 10:32:52 am »
Sadly the signs of the whole Adventure bike craze.

Over the last few years every single twatwaffle bought a bike and feels entitled to chase ostriches into fences, ride over goaties & dogs on private roads through rural farm villages and dig up riverbeds in conservation areas.
Then pull out and wield your piece because the kids are throwing stones at you?
::)

I guess I'll just have to wait until the craze is over and all the adventure bikes are offered for cheap in the far corner of the dealers yard. All the a***holes will (un)fortunately move on and ruin another pastime for others.

Then I can start working on regaining access by bike to areas we currently only dream of.
I will probably even start all over with the bike tours. As soon as I know that the people come to experience Africa on a bike and not to propagate dick headed neo-colonialism and hooliganism.

And you who thinks the whole of the Kunene is made for you to dig it up just because there is no one to tell you not to do so you unfortunately also did not get it. If you want to be an MX stunt star why don't you just go to the local MX track? You can even go there with your "performance" exhaust and the ambulance will be there reasonably quick if you end up on your sorry backside.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline Avontier

• Coitus reservatus
  • Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
« Reply #106 on: August 21, 2012, 10:36:23 am »
I must say Danie makes an excellent point.

I don't condone what happened (there were signs, it seems there are rules there about disturbing the peace, whatnot & it is controlled private land in this case)

BUT

I don't buy the conservation story about riding in river beds. After all it is a just river bed. :dontknow:

Just because you don't "buy" it doesn't mean it lacks merit.
The Tuli Block is experiencing a severe drought. The river beds are dry and the tyre track damage will remain in the beds for at least another 3 months. Furthermore, tyre tracks are not natural phenomina - and they can be distracting to various animals, who have a far keener sense of disruption to their environment and habitat, than we mere motorcycle riding humans do. And then, these same tyre tracks are just unsightly (not to mention unnecessary) in a pristine and unspoilt environment - and they impact on the overall appearance of the entire place.
If someone came to your home and did wheelspins on your lawn and through your garden, generally tearing up the place, could the argument not be: "Oh well, it will come right after some rain?" Yes it may, but you have to live with this until such time as it does come right. Unspoilt should remain that way.

You missed the major one - if it is private land the owners can name the conditions for entering.
Nothing else needed.

:(

Exactly, Eisbein.

Tommy, where were they staying/camping? Which syndicate are you part of?

I took my wife on the 990 to Mashatu some weeks ago. We left the bike at the airstrip where we were picked up. Being a biker myself, the last thing I would want to hear while having a sundowner on a koppie, or breakfast in the bush, is a quad with a Cowley amplifier doing donuts. Mashatu is however quite a distance from Solomon's Wall. The nearest would be Tuli Safari Lodge, and Talana commercial Farms, isn't it?

Offline Skaiidawg

« Reply #107 on: August 21, 2012, 10:44:56 am »
On the recent long-weekend, 9 to 12 August, some South African Adventure (and, we believe, Quad) Bikers went to the Northern..................

One of the groups of riders, all on relatively new KTM's (the registration numbers of which we have - one of which was from George) were approached by the manageress of Mashatu EcoTraining whilst they were riding in the Motloutse River bed. A member of this group chose to not only ignore her request to cease riding in the river bed, but proceeded to ride donuts in front of her whilst she was advising the riders that they were not to ride in the river bed.

The registration numbers of the offending bikes are as follows..............

YTP***GP; CAW6***0; BM***1GP; RGH***GP; BX***PGP; XRN***GP; BG***RGP; RWP***GP; RRN*** GP

Lancer can you give more information as I dont understand all of this. 1st you talk about bikers that went to a certain place and the assumption were made they might have been people on quads (see the bold quoted text), then you talk about riders on KTM's doing donuts and then have certain proof of the registration numbers of these bikes.

Was it quad riders that violated the rules?

Was it bike riders that violated the rules?

Was it different groups of quads and bikes?

Surely if it was quads those quads could not have been driven there but being towed there? Where is the registration numbers of the cars/trailers?
Courtesy from Grizz: In this day and age religion is often frowned upon, but I have met some of the most amazing people from various religions over time.
From Buddhists to Sikhs, through Muslims and Christians and everything in between, there are many good people out there and if you do not allow yourself to be swayed by petulant religious opinion, the world is an awesome place with the odd idiot in between trying to make it rubbish for others.

Offline tok-tokkie

• Bike: Yamaha TW200
  • Green Point
« Reply #108 on: August 21, 2012, 10:56:24 am »
It astonishes me that bikers making a bloody noise in a nature reservation has been defended on this site.

People go to the bush to experience a bit of nature & escape their industrialised environment.  Besides that the bikes were off the roads.

Offline ETS

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 1290 Adventure S
  • Die Punda van Prieska
« Reply #109 on: August 21, 2012, 11:01:20 am »
Ek hoop nie die manne wat so vol stront is, is die manne wat die Richtersveld se slote so vol gery het nie :peepwall: :pot:
If i had to explain you would not understand anyway......

Offline Lancer

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
  • Africa Twin - Say no more
« Reply #110 on: August 21, 2012, 11:35:57 am »
Whilst in complete agreement on the inapropriateness of the reported behaviour, and very upset over the bad reputation this will no doubt create in some minds about "bikers", I don't think we should immediately call for banning or other extreme punishments ("f*ck them" - really? not me!  ;D ). If the culprits are identified (or 'fess up), I think it would be altogether better for them to be educated in how short-sighted there actions were, how very angry a lot of people are with them and then be given the chance to make amends by apologising to the landowners and to other adventure bikers. This will not only create a better legacy with the landowners, but may turn the perpetrators into more responsible adv bikers, perhaps even get them to preach and practice responsible adv riding.  Harsh punishment may just cement an "eff you" attitude...

I totally agree with you on this
+1000000
People ask us why we ride a motorcycle. For those who have experienced the joy, no explanation is necessary; for those who have not, no explanation is possible.

Offline Lancer

• Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
  • Africa Twin - Say no more
« Reply #111 on: August 21, 2012, 11:44:30 am »
On the recent long-weekend, 9 to 12 August, some South African Adventure (and, we believe, Quad) Bikers went to the Northern..................

One of the groups of riders, all on relatively new KTM's (the registration numbers of which we have - one of which was from George) were approached by the manageress of Mashatu EcoTraining whilst they were riding in the Motloutse River bed. A member of this group chose to not only ignore her request to cease riding in the river bed, but proceeded to ride donuts in front of her whilst she was advising the riders that they were not to ride in the river bed.

The registration numbers of the offending bikes are as follows..............

YTP***GP; CAW6***0; BM***1GP; RGH***GP; BX***PGP; XRN***GP; BG***RGP; RWP***GP; RRN*** GP

Lancer can you give more information as I dont understand all of this. 1st you talk about bikers that went to a certain place and the assumption were made they might have been people on quads (see the bold quoted text), then you talk about riders on KTM's doing donuts and then have certain proof of the registration numbers of these bikes.

Was it quad riders that violated the rules?

Was it bike riders that violated the rules?

Was it different groups of quads and bikes?

Surely if it was quads those quads could not have been driven there but being towed there? Where is the registration numbers of the cars/trailers?

The registrations that were supplied are from a group of KTM-riding Adventure bikers who were apprehended riding in the river bed at Solomon's Wall. There were both bike and quad tracks quite some distance up the Limpopo River from the confluence of the Limpopo and Motloutse Rivers too. The KTM-group was the one that behaved badly and did donuts in the river-bed.
People ask us why we ride a motorcycle. For those who have experienced the joy, no explanation is necessary; for those who have not, no explanation is possible.

Offline ChrisMann

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Every day above ground is a good day.
« Reply #112 on: August 21, 2012, 11:55:35 am »
This is so unfair to put the blame on KTM riders just because "other" bikes can not play in the sand.  >:D

Lancer, just pulling your leg. It is totally unacceptable behavior if riding in the river bed is prohibited. The right thing to do would be for the responsible riders to apologize to the persons they upset.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 11:56:26 am by UilspieŽl »
Take my advice; I don't use it anyway.

Offline Malibu

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
  • Just a girl on a bike!
« Reply #113 on: August 21, 2012, 12:10:21 pm »
am i the only one that is not surprised that they all had GP number plates?  its just that when ever i go some where in Africa and there are SAFFA's fucking around and being pricks, 8 out of 10 times its vaalies.

no offence to you law abiding vaalies on here, but its just something ive notices both here and overseas.

That's a bold statement and totally uncalled for......you may expect a lot of criticism my friend!

Much as I hate to admit it, he's probably right... funny thing is that many people I speak to from out-of-country talk about the GP idiots that seem to feel that they can do as they please. 

I was always under the impression that travel was done to expose ourselves to other peoples worlds... not take ours with and dump it on others...
There are groups of people that do that and when enough people from an area do it, then unfortunately all get painted with the same tar brush...
Think 'the Americans', perceived as loud, boisterous and obnoxious... many in Africa see the GP crowd in a similar light....
It would be interesting to see if this can be substantiated with any form of proof, statistics.......probably not!!!!
If not, ........
I guess you have proof proving me wrong... and...
Do you talk to all women like that... Sis man!  That is just really disgusting... don't think I want to associate with you ever again...
They call me Judy or Judes...

You need chaos in your soul to birth a shining star!

Offline Lear300

« Reply #114 on: August 21, 2012, 12:11:46 pm »
This is so unfair to put the blame on KTM riders just because "other" bikes can not play in the sand.  >:D

Lancer, just pulling your leg. It is totally unacceptable behavior if riding in the river bed is prohibited. The right thing to do would be for the responsible riders to apologize to the persons they upset.

And the people they have effected.

I have yet to purchase my DP bike but I am already planning my adventures. If access to the Northern Thuli is cut off due to behaviour like this, I - as well as all other responsible adventure riders -  will be very sad  :-[

Offline Lear300

« Reply #115 on: August 21, 2012, 12:14:01 pm »
am i the only one that is not surprised that they all had GP number plates?  its just that when ever i go some where in Africa and there are SAFFA's fucking around and being pricks, 8 out of 10 times its vaalies.

It would be interesting to see if this can be substantiated with any form of proof, statistics.......probably not!!!!
If not, ........
I guess you have proof proving me wrong... and...
Do you talk to all women like that... Sis man!  That is just really disgusting... don't think I want to associate with you ever again...

+1 on the way to talk to ladies!!!!

Offline ClemS

« Reply #116 on: August 21, 2012, 12:31:16 pm »
No point pissing into the wind, and trying to justify their behaviour by questioning the broken rules... there are obviously reasons for the rulz, buried hibernating frogs or fish, river banks broken down by usage contributing to erosion, etc, etc...
Fact is, we will all loose out because a few idiots can't just accept that being asked to not do something is beyond their ability... it's rude, inconsiderate, idiotical and quite frankly, not in the spirit of adventure riding!  Those kind of riders should stay in the bike parks (mx tracks).

Hear Hear! Discipline is nowhere to be found nowadays, not just in GP but also in EC, NW, WP, FS, MP, L etc.... So, guys, do not transgress natures rules. It will come back to bite you!!!

Offline Dogboxelectric

• Bike: Honda XR650L
  • SANI- So not done with Lesotho
« Reply #117 on: August 21, 2012, 12:41:12 pm »
Sadly the signs of the whole Adventure bike craze.

Over the last few years every single twatwaffle bought a bike and feels entitled to chase ostriches into fences, ride over goaties & dogs on private roads through rural farm villages and dig up riverbeds in conservation areas.
Then pull out and wield your piece because the kids are throwing stones at you?
::)

I guess I'll just have to wait until the craze is over and all the adventure bikes are offered for cheap in the far corner of the dealers yard. All the a***holes will (un)fortunately move on and ruin another pastime for others.

Then I can start working on regaining access by bike to areas we currently only dream of.
I will probably even start all over with the bike tours. As soon as I know that the people come to experience Africa on a bike and not to propagate dick headed neo-colonialism and hooliganism.

And you who thinks the whole of the Kunene is made for you to dig it up just because there is no one to tell you not to do so you unfortunately also did not get it. If you want to be an MX stunt star why don't you just go to the local MX track? You can even go there with your "performance" exhaust and the ambulance will be there reasonably quick if you end up on your sorry backside.

What he said.
Mesmerising stuff?!?
Honda XR650L 2011
Kawasaki Versys 650 2014

Offline SarelSam

• Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
« Reply #118 on: August 21, 2012, 12:49:03 pm »
Hi Guys and Girls, some of you know me but for the rest i would like to introduce myself.
I am an avid adventure seeker / traveller - whatever that definition is to you. I love riding my bike and I love the great adventures africa has to offer. I have a huge respect for mother nature and for my fellow humans. When I step on somebody's toe mine also hurts.

I was in charge of setting the route that this bunch of number plates followed and would like to state some facts (not many has been mentioned)

1. We were a group of 10 friends on 2 wheel motorcycles
2. Most of the motorcycles have exhausts fitted that will be above the legal decibel limit when revved over 6000 RPM
3. We did stop at Solomons Wall (69 meters from the path crossing the river)
4. My maximum speed was 87km/h (not even 2000 RPM) on one occasion before we got to this stop (it is a game drive). The average was around 60.

When we entered the riverbed (to cross it) Solomons wall looked like a great and safe place to stop and regroup. It would be rude to stop in the sandy tracks I thought.
Slowly the rest of the group arrived. Chantell (I think this was her name) Approached our group and I introduced myself. She explained that it was a problem to stop off the road and that this is a problem for her. I apologised without being rude at all. At that moment another rider from our Group approached on his KTM990. Those of you that know what its like to ride in riversand will also know that there is some skill involved to keep this machine upright, so the approach was a bit rough. The way to make this bike stand upright in this sand is to dig the back wheel in. This did seem a bit arrogant at the time but i assure you that it was not the intention.
We immediately left and greeted chantell. Please guys - try to turn this 990 around and get back to the main track. Yes you have to rev it and the wheel will spin, and to the uninformed it will look like some sort of donut.

Some guys were still arriving as we left so we stopped just on the other side of the river to regroup and left minutes after that for the border post.
The only tracks left in the Limpopo river was when we crossed the official border post at Pontdrif.

My motorcycle is fitted with a tracking device. The data from this device gets used to update maps. It is accurate and will stand up in a court of law as far as timing and positioning is concerned. The data cannot be manipulated by me.

I make available to anybody that wants to see for themselves this tracking data.

Go to this web site
http://41.0.5.195/

username: monkey
password: butt

go to history and select the 11th of august and say show.
the incident happened at 11:45 - just scroll down to this time and click on it. now zoom in and you will see the detail.

I have a funny feeling that there was more than one group in the Tuli that weekend.
If anybody can get me chantell's email address (I will google it in any case) I will contact her to apologise again for stopping off the road.

If accused of popping a wheelie through Alldays on the main road - Guilty

However, I cannot be accused of all the things mentioned in the previous posts.

Cheers
Sarelsam

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #119 on: August 21, 2012, 01:00:55 pm »
We do not believe you.............................we need proof of said wheely in Alldays. :mwink:

Thank you for telling us your side of the story Sarel. :thumleft:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za