Thanks to Countrytrax, Atlantic Motorrad and Klipbokkop

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bernoulli

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1100GS
for increasing my offroad skills (and hence confidence) significantly over the week-end! :biggrin: Had an absolute blast! :ricky:
Here are some photos, to help those of you still contemplating the value of attending a course, to go as well!

I met some of the group early on Friday morning at Winelands Engen
Awaitingfellowstudents.jpg

We went over Du Toitskloof and the scenery was good, but the lack of temperature was even better! Made a stop at the turn-off to Rawsonville to allow some life back into frozen extremities.
ColdoutsideRawsonville.jpg

Arrived at Klipbokkop and this was the scene over the Brandvleidam from the stoep for when we were allowed R&R during the week-end.
Viewfrombase.jpg

Then the training started. Getting ready for the first session.
Gettingready.jpg

Did lots of very usefull exersizes  - all nicely designed to build skill and confidence. I was too busy learning and enjoying myself to take a lot of pictures, but here are some.

On the first day (which was the first dry day after a spell of significant rain) one of the riders attempted an uphill but lost traction in the mud at the foot of it (You can see it at the bottom of the first photograph) He gunned it as best he could but ran out of momentum just before the crest. Then slid back on a very slippery, muddy surface and had to be rescued from there.

Unplanneduphillrecovery1.jpg
Unplanneduphillrecovery2.jpg
Unplanneduphillrecovery3.jpg
Unplanneduphillrecoverydone.jpg

Back at base after the first day's training.
Safelytorestafteranexhaustingday.jpg

The second day - uphill recovery training on a more suiteable surface!
Planneduphillrecovery.jpg

Jumped this waterhole!
Jumpedthishole.jpg

Last exercise for the second day was an attempt at some sandriding, which ended after about 50meters for me and Margaret! Here she is  after being helped upright, but still refusing to start-up again.
Endofsandattempt.jpg

We  transported her back to base and after some careful attention, could get her back to life and ready for the last day's training.

The course concluded with an outride where we could apply all our new skills. This was a stop on the route.
Finaloutride.jpg

Attending the course was a milestone for me, and I will certainly recommend it to anyone that ventures off-road regularly. Not only will you enjoy the ride more, you will be safer as well.

Margaret, however, celebrated a milestone of her own!
AndsoMargaretreachedanothermilestone.jpg

The photos does not do the training justice in any way. We did a lot more - emergency stops, downhill stops, etc. but hopefully I have provided a glimpse into what was a joyful experience and money well spent! :ricky: