WD Sunday Reportback

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boertjie

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS
Ok, the "challenge"came from GoosePilot to invite other WDS to ride along on my next trip. A challenge is not something that I can ever let go without at least giving it my best shot... so I did exactly that... post an invite for a ride this morning. Planned the route after a few of the guys at Kriges indicated that if you organise, you better have a plan.

Without further ado, I only took very few piccies. There were more guys taking pics, so please guys please add yours to this thread. I only afterwards realised that my piccies actually spell a wait report rather than a ride report, but I will post them anyway and the rest of the guys can chip in the ride parts.

Woke up this morning with the wind quite strong, but the sky clear. Wind-clouds rolling over the Helderberg mountains.

WDsunday1.jpg

Got to the Shell nice and early, put in petrol, checked the tyres, got meself a nice warm cup of coffee, friendly "good morning" to the speedcop that popped into the shop and waited for the rest of the gang to arrive. I did not have to wait long, before the guys started rolling in... and in... and in... In the end we were 15 dogs at the Shell.

WDSunday2.jpg

We went over to Grabouw, where Growweblaar joined us...

WDSunday3.jpg

Over the mountain towards Villiersdorp and met up with Rooipoot... who was our tour guide from there, since he is a local resident in that area. Got onto the gravel en route to Botrivier. At this junction, I waited to let the other riders through and (after Eisbein went through) decided to photograph the next rider that came through. Well, I did not realise that I was actually last at that stage. After waiting for a while, I got going again, to find Eisbein has turned around to see whether I was OK... Thanx Eisbein and great to see the WD spirit in action.

WDSunday4.jpg

Got to Botrivier and here the trip deviated from my original plan, with a friendly farmer allowed us to go through his farm... This the wait in Botrivier.

WDSunday5.jpg

This is where the real ride report should start, but I will write a few lines and let the rest of the guys contribute.

Got to the farm after a short ride on the N2. through a few farm gates and then... low and behold... whilst I asked for nothing technical, since this was my first real ride off the main roads, we got to a steepish uphill with LOTS of loose fist size stones. It was real slippery... for me anyway. Halfway up, the rider in front of me went down. With the road not very wide and me being on the edge as well, I had to stop... which I managed to do successfully. Not 20 meters further anoth rider went down... I was still parked in themiddel of the road. A few of the Dogs came through and parked at the top of the hill and walked down to assist the other dogs. First two bikes got up and with some help pushing and with plenty of spinning and flying stones, got out of the way. I tried a few times, but just could not get away... the rear wheel dug in spinning and I had to got back out of the hole spun... after about the fifth or sixth attempt, the back wheel spun out and I also went down... fortunately from standstill... No damage or injuries, but dented ego. Got the bike up with some help from a few old hands and with a push to get away again, made it up the rest of the hill... with held breath and new holes in my undies... could have made washers if I had a pipe up my arse. I am aare of at least one other rider that also went down behind me. The fact that I was not the only one taking a lie-down, was some consolation... not that I wish anybody else to ever go down.

From there no further incidents. From there the group split into guys going for breakfast/lunch in Greyton, but I had to get home, since I planned to be back around noon. Franschhoek pass is in great conditiona dn really beautifull. There are millions of bikers in Franschhoek. Helshoogte pass was fast and then it was normal traffic back home.

I had a wonderfull day as my first riding with other wild dogs. Just want to say thank you to everyone that helped me get up and off again. Thanx guys, the WD spirit is great and strong.

OK, other WDs that were there and took some piccies, please add your version of the day.

Nou is die ys gebreek en sal ek graag gereeld wil saamry. Ek onderneem om so een maal per maand 'n trippie te reel as daar nie iets aan is nie.