Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Triumph tiger 800XC just amazing  (Read 3197 times)

Offline ColD

Triumph tiger 800XC just amazing
« on: August 20, 2012, 05:06:48 pm »
I recently became the proud owner of a Tiger, not knowing anything about DS bikes never having ridden one, I asked for advice from people in the know that included the WD's.

I had no idea what to expect having only ridden plastics and quads for the last 20 years odd.

Well my first bit of experience was on road, I quickly became very comfortable on the Tiger, loads of power when you need it , lekker through the bends and just a well balanced non intimidating bike to ride, a absolute pleasure. I was very impressed. The smile factor was a definite plus. What a bike.

Then I had the opportunity to go and ride with some fellow Tigers out Brits way, where we did some well graded dust roads, nothing challenging or technical, apart from one stretch with loose sand that would cause the bike to snake from time to time, but all in all a non event , bike handled perfectly, and was a pleasure on these roads. I did not deflate tyres and in retrospect will deflate in future I later learned it makes a difference.

Now this past weekend, I went down to the free state , right by Kestell and a friend on a Yamaha 200 TW( I think) and I went and rode some Jeep track, rocky train some tricky stuff wash always and small ditches crossing the road, and all I can say is yeeeeeeeeee ha. Man was I blown away by how that machine ate up the trail. It was easy to become very confident on the bike very quickly. The thing is I never expected a bike that large to be as nimble and responsive , and comfortable as can be.

After the dirt I headed for Golden gate for a few tar twisties,  yep more yeeee ha, with some awesome backdrops. Pumped the tyres for this

The next day before we returned we did a short bit of riding on the farm nothing too serious but I did a bit of bundu bashing and did a few very technical ditches, with the biggest problem being traction..... The standard tyres slip like nothing on dry grass... So new tyres for me thank you.

I found deflating the tyres on gravel just made the bike so much better on gravel, where my first trip we did to bother, and the bits of tar in between the lower pressure did not bug me.

But at the end of it I had so much unexpected fun, that this machine is now probably my favorite of all time... And I have only had it under 2 months.

Admittedly I can't compare to any other DS bike in its class. But smooth power where ever you need it, fantastic handling oh so forgiving.  What a bike.

This is not a ride report the aim is to share how amazing I think this bike is.

Will post a ride report when I do a proper ride.. Very soon,  yes very soon.
We are not here for a long time.....we are here for a good time.

Offline jaybiker

• Old school=Old's cool.
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki Versys
Re: Triumph tiger 800XC just amazing
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 05:34:49 pm »
Great to hear that you are enjoying your bike so much. Deflating tyres was something I did as a matter of course back in the 'old days' on little lightweights riding on soft mud, but I've learned to be careful of that on heavier D/S bikes on hard dirt roads.
Deflate a bit if it helps, but be careful not to go too low, or you could be asking for trouble.
Succumb not to the erosion of those born of unconsecrated union.

"Two Wheels, an engine and a place to sit." What more do you need?

2021 a milestone. 60 years a biker.

Offline ColD

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 05:40:26 pm »
Now the question how low should I go? I was at about 1.4 bar

Offline TTMAN

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: Triumph 800 XC
  • I reserve the right to change my mind
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 06:59:12 pm »
Cold.

To stop my Mitas e07 to "sing" too much on tari pump them 2bar.  You can do gravel and corrugation like that but itis soo much betterat 1.5.  Even 1.4 is fine.  The reason why not too soft is rocks.  Luckily the rims are excel.  Enjoy your bike.
Voorheen GS-Dawid

Offline Murdoch

• Race Dog
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 12:52:48 pm »
Are you sure the Tiger is as good as you say it is or are you just trying to justify why you bought one  :pot:

Offline Trippple XC

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki Versys
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 01:38:07 pm »
Are you sure the Tiger is as good as you say it is or are you just trying to justify why you bought one  :pot:
TTTTTTRRRRRRRROOOOOLLLLIIINNNGGGGG :biggrin:
"Ride on ' Rough-shod if need be,smooth shod if that will do,but ride on 'Ride over all obstacles,and win the race'"- Charles Dickens

Offline NeilV

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
    • My Flickr account
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 01:39:57 pm »

Considering the fact that you're looking to buy one yourself I'm sure you already know the answer to your question.  :thumleft:  :pot:
Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle.

Offline Murdoch

• Race Dog
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 02:20:15 pm »

Considering the fact that you're looking to buy one yourself I'm sure you already know the answer to your question.  :thumleft:  :pot:

Trying to avoid buyers remorse when she arrives  :thumleft:

Offline ColD

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 07:15:50 pm »
Definitely no buyers remorse here, on the contrary I got more than I expected. ;D

Geotraveller

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2012, 08:21:16 pm »

Surely you test rode the Triumph before ordering? If not you'll be a convert very soon after it arrives!!

Offline MarcovYken

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2012, 05:50:12 pm »

Surely you test rode the Triumph before ordering? If not you'll be a convert very soon after it arrives!!

+1  :thumleft:

Offline Murdoch

• Race Dog
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 01:30:42 pm »

I did, rode the 800 XC without ABS and just grinned all the time , was amazing, I get my Tiger on Friday.

Offline Fuzzy Muzzy

• Merchandisers
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 01:40:52 pm »
Enjoy, I test rode the bike and it was'nt for me, but I sure could'nt fault the bike, it is amazing.. many happy safe miles.
Africa trip, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Malawi, Tanzania & Moz rr http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=61231.0

Offline Murdoch

• Race Dog
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2012, 01:53:37 pm »
Enjoy, I test rode the bike and it was'nt for me, but I sure could'nt fault the bike, it is amazing.. many happy safe miles.

Thanks mate

Geotraveller

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2012, 03:42:37 pm »
You will NOT be sorry!

Offline Divot

• Pack Dog
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2012, 03:44:40 pm »
I have had mine for two months now, and having a total jol! I was on an outride this weekend when I experienced a fault with the idling of the bike. This is the second time this has happened and have sent it in for repairs just be carefull of this.
What a bike otherwise!!
I envy every man that has not been to Africa, for he has so much to look forward too.

Geotraveller

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2012, 03:49:42 pm »
I have had mine for two months now, and having a total jol! I was on an outride this weekend when I experienced a fault with the idling of the bike. This is the second time this has happened and have sent it in for repairs just be carefull of this.
What a bike otherwise!!

TTMan had the same issue, maybe you should chat to him.

Offline Murdoch

• Race Dog
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2012, 04:53:12 pm »
There is a recall for a remap to sort this out.

Offline GIDEON

• Born in the year of the Tiger
  • Race Dog
  • Bikes est dans mon sang
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2012, 01:23:01 pm »
This is where were hiding.
Awesome feedback.
NOW  >:D

Pictures.

:biggrin:

Nobody can be exactly like me. Sometimes even I have trouble doing it.

Offline J-dog

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2012, 01:36:08 pm »
So it seems the triumph isn't too bad for a soft-roader?