Triumph tiger 800XC just amazing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColD

Pack Dog
Reaction score
Bike
Triumph 800 XC
I recently became the proud owner of a Tiger, not knowing anything about DS bikes never having ridden one, I asked for advice from people in the know that included the WD's.

I had no idea what to expect having only ridden plastics and quads for the last 20 years odd.

Well my first bit of experience was on road, I quickly became very comfortable on the Tiger, loads of power when you need it , lekker through the bends and just a well balanced non intimidating bike to ride, a absolute pleasure. I was very impressed. The smile factor was a definite plus. What a bike.

Then I had the opportunity to go and ride with some fellow Tigers out Brits way, where we did some well graded dust roads, nothing challenging or technical, apart from one stretch with loose sand that would cause the bike to snake from time to time, but all in all a non event , bike handled perfectly, and was a pleasure on these roads. I did not deflate tyres and in retrospect will deflate in future I later learned it makes a difference.

Now this past weekend, I went down to the free state , right by Kestell and a friend on a Yamaha 200 TW( I think) and I went and rode some Jeep track, rocky train some tricky stuff wash always and small ditches crossing the road, and all I can say is yeeeeeeeeee ha. Man was I blown away by how that machine ate up the trail. It was easy to become very confident on the bike very quickly. The thing is I never expected a bike that large to be as nimble and responsive , and comfortable as can be.

After the dirt I headed for Golden gate for a few tar twisties,  yep more yeeee ha, with some awesome backdrops. Pumped the tyres for this

The next day before we returned we did a short bit of riding on the farm nothing too serious but I did a bit of bundu bashing and did a few very technical ditches, with the biggest problem being traction..... The standard tyres slip like nothing on dry grass... So new tyres for me thank you.

I found deflating the tyres on gravel just made the bike so much better on gravel, where my first trip we did to bother, and the bits of tar in between the lower pressure did not bug me.

But at the end of it I had so much unexpected fun, that this machine is now probably my favorite of all time... And I have only had it under 2 months.

Admittedly I can't compare to any other DS bike in its class. But smooth power where ever you need it, fantastic handling oh so forgiving.  What a bike.

This is not a ride report the aim is to share how amazing I think this bike is.

Will post a ride report when I do a proper ride.. Very soon,  yes very soon.