Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Service when out of waranty  (Read 4544 times)

Offline Bosvalk

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
Service when out of waranty
« on: August 20, 2012, 05:45:14 pm »
My stallion is due for its 50 000 km service. Previously the services were done by the agents. They are somewhat pricy for their services and I am looking at alternatives as it is a 2007 model and long out of its waranty.

Is it a plausable alternative or should one stay away from the private jobs?

Advice please?

Offline punisher

• DILLIGAF
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
Re: Service when out of waranty
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 05:56:59 pm »
 O0 sub
just wanna have fun , and ride ... and ....... ride

Offline Duke916

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 06:27:34 pm »
Do it yourself I say  :deal:
Then : RD50  550 Four  900F   CBX  CBX Prolink XL 500 XR 500  CR 450  MTX 200  916 BIP

Now :  1100RC  R100 RT    1098  RGV 250  KTM 495  R 1200GS ADV    KLR650

Online BMWPE

• Port Elizabeth
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 07:35:19 pm »
Personally i stick to agents
Rallye

Offline AntVan

• I am the Zipslayer! Hear me zzzzzzzzp!
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 06:07:32 am »
Okay, here's my opinion. If you are looking at selling the bike at market value, stick to the agents. If you are not reasonably proficient yourself, stick to the agents. If you are not looking at learning anything about the bike, stick to the agents.

There are two other options: one is to DYI and the second is to take it to the private dudes.

Private Dudes are like anything else a business and would look at making money out of you, you have a better face-to-face communication with them (in theory) but I must tell you since my last hissy fit at the agents I have a pretty good relationship with individuals. I've also had terrible service from non-agents as well (no experience on this forum).

Several guys here will tell you to DYI. That is an option if you are reasonably stocked with tools and the proper manuals. It's not that difficult and what you may learn will be very valuable if your bike breaks down somewhere. It can save you a lot of money in the long run. The biggest plus for me here is that you can now notice small discrepancies yourself (those things that makes you go: that's funny) and possibly catch things before they cause damage.

In all of these cases, it would probably be a good idea to know a bit about the bike in any case and check the work after it's been done. You probably got a bit of a shock at the 40,000km service, but if you knew what to look for and knew what is done at 40,000km intervals you could have minimised the costs.

For instance: I let them service the engine. I have a pretty okay manual myself, but still. i don't think it's excessive and I only let them do what they have to, they cannot take chances. But: I refuse to pay that much for brakes. I still buy the brakes from the agents but then I install them myself. It's a 30 minute job all round. Why they charge you so much for the labour no-one knows. I've had no major failures on the engine. Once the beast gets too old or she fails in a biggish sort of way, I might look into servicing myself. But that is, I guess, still 40,000 away (she is at 58,000).
I don't always drop my bike, but when I do, I prefer to drop her in front of a crowd

Offline kwassi

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 08:01:52 am »
We serviced another dogs bike a couple of months ago.

We had a service Dvd and Haynes manual.

It was easy enough to do and we got some of the service parts at Mosskays and Midas. 

Solo travellers should not be considered unsociable, they are expressing their independence until they choose to do otherwise.

Offline Bosvalk

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2012, 12:30:59 pm »
I am carefully optimistic to try it myself, but my concern is that the fcuk-up will be 10 times the price of the service in the first place. I have serviced my old bakkie on its regular intervals without incident, and that will probably tip the scale.

Offline DanMan

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 12:53:28 pm »
Call Justin @ Motorrad Teck
I know he does BMW's.
I am happy with his work.
Regards
Danie
"It's not  the size of the dog in the fight,it's the size of the fight in the dog"

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 01:06:13 pm »
I called MatorradTech this morning - Jaques (?) - quoted R1200.00 plus VAT for a 30K service on the Adventure - good price - and as it's out of warrantee, and I intend keeping it for the forseeable future - they will get the business!
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline The 0

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2012, 02:00:50 pm »
Find a "LeCap" type guy in Gauteng

Offline punisher

• DILLIGAF
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2012, 02:13:49 pm »
I called MatorradTech this morning - Jaques (?) - quoted R1200.00 plus VAT for a 30K service on the Adventure - good price - and as it's out of warrantee, and I intend keeping it for the forseeable future - they will get the business!

where are they  and do you have numbers pls 

mine is approaching the beeeeeeeeg 100 000

Offline BryanOC6

• I can like to ride Ja
  • Time to ride , I say a cammaahhhn
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2012, 08:24:07 pm »
37 golden drive Benoni, just off Snake rd, did my 40 k service great !
BMW GSA 1200 LC 2014
Yamaha WR250 2007
Yamaha SR500 1983 Bratstyle

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2012, 07:31:16 am »

where are they  and do you have numbers pls 

mine is approaching the beeeeeeeeg 100 000

Close to us Punisher - 35 Golden Drive - Unit 7 - off of Snake Road very close to the N12 - 011-425-6632 - probably do mine early next month, still got about 1100km before it's due.....
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline punisher

• DILLIGAF
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2012, 08:11:25 am »
cooooool beeeeeenz  guys  :)
 :thumleft:

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2012, 08:23:14 pm »
I service 1200s, no worries, I can teach you how to do your own bike in future if required.
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline ceasar

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2012, 01:56:09 pm »
Let me just say it like this:

The agents are for most practical reasons the best suited to service our bikes. They are the ones with the know-how and experience to do the job right. That said, they mostly fail because they don't really care. The "drive" for them is to make money. When asked, they will promise you the earth and the heavens, and most of the times they succeed, but after a long relationship with them the statistics catches up with you, and they do "something" wrong somewhere down the line. Then, if you're like me, its infuriating! I am so mad then, because their "mistake" came at a huge expense over time, i.e. all the times I paid top dollar for their "superior" service.

Independent shops usually DONT have the knowledge, or let me say, ALL the knowledge all the time. This is because, like in BMW's case, BMW don't allow information to be known outside their dealerships. Independent shops then has to "learn" at our expense. Most of the time this is OK, because lots of things are common to any type of vehicle, like changing oil, changing spark plugs etc. Its when "the shit hits the fan" that the independents either go out of their way at a huge cost to themselves to satisfy their customers, or they bog down and make a huge stuff-up. So its a situation of, six of the one, or a half dozen of the other.

I'm contemplating self service, because I WILL always care. The problem is, I don't have the time or the know-how to do everything all the time, so I'm back at square one, Independent or Dealers...

Thus, for me its not an easy decision. I would like to service my bike at a Dealer all the time, but then I want them to "take care" of my bike/car/boat whatever. The cost then, will be justified to some degree. I would also like to service my bike at an independent, because they usually (the good one's that is) do much more than what I pay for, because they care, and they are more willing to accommodate me, and help out without costing me an arm and the whole lot!

I think, to be honest to myself, a combination of doing it yourself, the regular stuff like servicing, getting an independent to sort out other minor jobs like fitting aftermarket parts, tuning, clutches etc., and reserving the big issues like blown engines or gearboxes for the Dealers.

This route of course will in some cases depreciate your resale value, but the right open minded buyer, will upon presented with proof of all work done over time, be willing to meet you halfway after realising that the bike's integrity was looked after in a responsible way. I know I will...

My 5c...

Offline madmax

• Bike: Rotax (all models)
  • I may be MAD but it MAX no difference
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2012, 03:03:24 pm »
mike of alan and mike fame (alan mathews and mike jones) who for many years had own shop in wynberg, then midrand and then got bought by bmw midrand and ultimately moved to lyndhurst, where alan then got xferred to midrand head office again.... has left lyndhurst and doing own servicing etc   0823337279
fornicate the proletariat

Offline Duke916

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2012, 07:32:49 pm »
Let me just say it like this:

The agents are for most practical reasons the best suited to service our bikes. They are the ones with the know-how and experience to do the job right. That said, they mostly fail because they don't really care. The "drive" for them is to make money. When asked, they will promise you the earth and the heavens, and most of the times they succeed, but after a long relationship with them the statistics catches up with you, and they do "something" wrong somewhere down the line. Then, if you're like me, its infuriating! I am so mad then, because their "mistake" came at a huge expense over time, i.e. all the times I paid top dollar for their "superior" service.

Independent shops usually DONT have the knowledge, or let me say, ALL the knowledge all the time. This is because, like in BMW's case, BMW don't allow information to be known outside their dealerships. Independent shops then has to "learn" at our expense. Most of the time this is OK, because lots of things are common to any type of vehicle, like changing oil, changing spark plugs etc. Its when "the shit hits the fan" that the independents either go out of their way at a huge cost to themselves to satisfy their customers, or they bog down and make a huge stuff-up. So its a situation of, six of the one, or a half dozen of the other.

I'm contemplating self service, because I WILL always care. The problem is, I don't have the time or the know-how to do everything all the time, so I'm back at square one, Independent or Dealers...

Thus, for me its not an easy decision. I would like to service my bike at a Dealer all the time, but then I want them to "take care" of my bike/car/boat whatever. The cost then, will be justified to some degree. I would also like to service my bike at an independent, because they usually (the good one's that is) do much more than what I pay for, because they care, and they are more willing to accommodate me, and help out without costing me an arm and the whole lot!

I think, to be honest to myself, a combination of doing it yourself, the regular stuff like servicing, getting an independent to sort out other minor jobs like fitting aftermarket parts, tuning, clutches etc., and reserving the big issues like blown engines or gearboxes for the Dealers.

This route of course will in some cases depreciate your resale value, but the right open minded buyer, will upon presented with proof of all work done over time, be willing to meet you halfway after realising that the bike's integrity was looked after in a responsible way. I know I will...

My 5c...

Why not organise a service weekend with a couple of mates ? Just make sure one of the mates are mechanical minded and that you have a manual that covers the work you want to perform . The minded mate can show how and supervise at the same time  :deal:
Then : RD50  550 Four  900F   CBX  CBX Prolink XL 500 XR 500  CR 450  MTX 200  916 BIP

Now :  1100RC  R100 RT    1098  RGV 250  KTM 495  R 1200GS ADV    KLR650

Offline kwassi

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2012, 03:21:41 pm »
Nou wat is die belsuit hier
Solo travellers should not be considered unsociable, they are expressing their independence until they choose to do otherwise.

Offline Bosvalk

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2012, 05:23:45 pm »
Ek skat dit kom neer op horses for courses. As dit jou ding is om hande vuil te maak, kan dit nie skade doen om dit self te probeer nie. Maar vir die wat aan die veilige kant gamble, vat hom na 'n agent toe of selfs 'n private.

Persoonlik dink ek Ceaser se idee om 'n deel self te doen en om 'n deel te laat doen by 'n private soos hierbo genoem, gaan dalk die beste uitwerk as $$ en effort opgeweeg word.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 05:26:45 pm by Bosvalk »