Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Service when out of waranty  (Read 4560 times)

Online woody1

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • XT1200ZE "Vinnige" Witte
Re: Service when out of waranty
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2012, 05:40:17 pm »
Call Justin @ Motorrad Teck
I know he does BMW's.
I am happy with his work.
Regards
Danie

Kan nie verkeerd gaan nie. Hy het uit sy pad gegaan om my R1150RT reg te kry vir 'n lang trip.
Ook al die fiets by hom gediens...PUIK   :laughing4:

I WOULD RATHER BE AN HONEST ASSHOLE .... THAN A FLIPPEN LIAR !   

Ducati 100cc Mountaineer, Honda 550 K3, Suzuki Gs1000E, Suzuki Gs1000G, Suzuki 1100 Katana, BMW R1100RT, BMW R1150RT,,,,,All gone. Only 2014 ST in the garage at the moment... And Honda XL 600

Offline Bosvalk

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Only dead fish go with the flow
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2012, 06:44:16 pm »
Call Justin @ Motorrad Teck
I know he does BMW's.
I am happy with his work.
Regards
Danie

Kan nie verkeerd gaan nie. Hy het uit sy pad gegaan om my R1150RT reg te kry vir 'n lang trip.
Ook al die fiets by hom gediens...PUIK   :laughing4:

Dis verseker een van die redes waarom hierdie forum 'n wenner is  :thumleft:

Offline Jacobsroodt

• vendor
  • Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • Carpe Diem (in Afrikaans: Life's short, Ride hard)
    • West Coast Parts
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2012, 09:25:37 am »
Kry die handelaar stempel by elke diens om seker te maak hulle kyk na alles, maar doen wat jy kan. Ek vervang self remblokkies, maar remvloeistof moet deur hulle vervang word elke 2 jaar (kan dit waarskynlik ook self doen). Ek vervang self die ketting en sprockets (het 'n spesiale tool nodig vir die ketting) maar sal enjin werk en iets soos shocks of header bearings deur die agente laat doen. Dit help om self op jou fiets te werk want so kry jy 'n idee van die ware stand van sake.
BoosterPlug, LED Spots, Tool Tubes, RustStop, Kappa Screens, Top boxes, Tank Bags, ATG Gear - whatever works for me.

Offline Koet

• T-Rex 700N "The Beast"!
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Splash!
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2012, 02:14:34 pm »
Only Bikers understand why dogs love to stick their heads out car windows.

Offline Cheetah

• Forum Vendor
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2012, 03:05:22 pm »
 :sip:
Thanks for very nice tips in this thread.
As a man is, so he sees.

Bikes:
BMW R 1200 GS Adv
1981 BMW Bobber

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2012, 07:06:02 am »
I always have Bavarian do the scheduled services to keep a full service history for resale.
(There are often little adjustments the manufacturer does that independents don't know about.)

I could do the disk pads and similar stuff myself, but I get such good service there - they fit them for me for free.
Perhaps being a loyal customer for 15 years has something to do with it.

AIRHEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline Hidalgo

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2012, 12:05:45 pm »
Hi there guys

This is a long winded post but bear with me its totally on topic and worth the read  :deal:

At the outset I would like to point out that I am totally anal about my bikes.   Unfortunately I was blessed with 10 thumbs so working on my own bike is out of the question apart from very basic stuff.

I have always wanted a 1200 GS and earlier this year I finally bought one - a 2010 30 year aniversary edition with 13 000kms on the clock - I frikken love this bike  :drif:

However after I got used to the bike I noticed that she has the dreaded ping  :'(

So after getting some good referrals from this forum I took the bike to Zambesi Auto.   Jacques and his team are fantastic they have a small workshop so you get personal attention !   They did the octane adjustment, while I waited and I found the bike ran better and they did not even charge me  :thumleft:

They did ask me to bring the bike back to set the valves which I did.    But when I got the bike back she felt sluggish and the pinging has been worse than ever.   In fact, when I give her horns it sounds like there are loose bolts inside the motor  :o

We were on a trip in ET (Mpumalanga) and we ran into Justin's (from Motorrad Tech) dad.   He suggested I give Justin a call and chat to him.

I called Justin and I was immediately impressed with his down to earth nature and his knowledge !   And he actually listened to what I was saying.

I booked in the bike and dropped it with him.  He asked me what I wanted from the bike and I told him I don't want more power or anything like that, I just wanted the bike to run properly.

He told me that in that case they would simply check the valves and setup the fuel system as best they can and he said he would phone me with an update little later that day.    I must admit I thought Ya right - they never phone...   

Trues Bob they phoned and said that the valve timing was out and that they have sorted that and she was running WAAAYYYY WAAAYYYY too lean and they have managed to get that better too.    And according to their dyno she now has a bit more power and torque.

And his invoice was much less than I expected.

So it seems that Justin from Motorrad Tech is exactly what I have been looking for - A decent, no BS, trustworthy guy who actually knows his stuff and who is running a great business  :deal:

The only person who will be looking after my GS from now on is Justin.

Ultimately I think we all want our bikes to run well and be reliable over the long run because they give us our freedom, so wether you service it yourself or get good service from BMW or another indy thats great !!! 

I am blown away by Justin's service and knowledge and I would not hesitate to recommend Justin to anyone !!!

:thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
Difference between cars and bikes - Driving in your car is like watching a movie, riding your bike is like starring in the movie.

BMW R1200 GS Rallye

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • Give It Horns - Save Our Rhino's
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2012, 01:06:04 pm »
Good reference - thanks.

My bike is going in to Justin in a couple of weeks for the 30k service....
www.majita.co.za - we sell tools!

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2012, 01:12:11 pm »
OK - dropped the Lump off at Motorrad tech on Wednesday late and collected it yesterday afternoon - they are not slow, I chose the times, i fact the bike was ready by about 10am yesterday. nice neat shop, clean and well organised.

Spoke to Justin & Jacques - what nice okes - very friendly and proffesional - they give you the attention that I, as a customer, feel I should be getting. Bike booked in, work done, bill paid - and the bill wasn't a outrageous as some other places.... :biggrin:

Also had fuel mapping done as per Hidalgo's post above - got an extra 7HP on the dyno - and it sounds so much better!

I understand Justin is the owner and also the chief mechanic - makes a difference....

"And if I knew I was going to be this thirsty, I would have drunk more last night"

2010 R1200GS Adventure SOLD - 2007 BMW G650x - 1981 XT500 - 1980 XT500 - Gone to Mud Island for a better life with Roadcat the Lordly, Keeper of the Mead...!

Offline BlingKing

• Don't just fix it - BLING IT!
  • Vendors
  • R3k Vendor
    • Bling King Motorcycles
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2012, 11:01:03 am »
Justin is the owner and the person that actually does the work. He was my Workshop Foreman at Auto Alpina and one of the very few properly certified Motorrad Technicians in this country and has acres of experience .
I would trust him with my life and bike, simple really.
Professionals is Suspension Matters
We Service & Repair Dual Sport & Adventure Bikes
Upgrades, Repairs & Replacements of Shocks & Forks
Importers for WILBERS Suspension AG, TFX Suspension, HAGON Shocks UK, WUNDERLICH for your BMW!
Agents for: HYPERPRO, BiTUBO, OHLINS, RACE-TECH, K-TECH

Offline Vaalseun

« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2012, 07:56:33 am »
And where is Motorrad Tech located?

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2012, 08:26:50 am »
Unit 7, 35 Golden Drive, Benoni - Just off of Snake Road and a block from the N12 - in a small business complex.

Interesting (and appreciated) point is that they include a litre of engine oil when you collect your bike, for top-ups between services....

Nice touch!

And I would have bought the oil anyway....!

Offline punisher

• DILLIGAF
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2012, 09:59:06 am »
 O0
just wanna have fun , and ride ... and ....... ride

Offline stan1975

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • 3335'35.71"S 2440'26.84"E
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2013, 02:21:41 pm »
Let me just say Justin and Jacques run a very tight ship and give great service and advice.

After years of convincing myself servicing at the agents is best I always go east to http://www.motorradtech.co.za/

Workmanship is top notch. Troubleshooting second to none and best value for money.
Ride within yourself, think ahead... Plan your escape route & be safe.... Just remember no one else knows what your thinking until you tell them...

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2013, 06:49:20 am »
Indeed!

I got Lump back Friday week ago - 40k service - R2500 plus VAT - goes like a dream & pulls like a train again - excellent work indeed!

Offline Tjoek

« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2013, 09:15:02 pm »
My 40k service is coming up. I bought brake pads from Midas. Do you think the BMW dealers would be willing to fit non-BMW spares?

Offline Bosvalk

• Only dead fish go with the flow
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2013, 09:49:11 pm »
It may be worth a ask, but my gut says never. They will not warrant their work for non b-m branded parts as you can imagine the potential liability risk they may attract if something does go wrong.  :lamer:

Offline ClimbingTurtle

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
    • Majita Tool Supplies
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2013, 07:31:42 am »
My 40k service is coming up. I bought brake pads from Midas. Do you think the BMW dealers would be willing to fit non-BMW spares?

Where are you situated? Is your bike still under warrantee?

Offline Duke916

« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2013, 12:39:22 pm »

I seriously doubt it   ::)
Then : RD50  550 Four  900F   CBX  CBX Prolink XL 500 XR 500  CR 450  MTX 200  916 BIP

Now :  1100RC  R100 RT    1098  RGV 250  KTM 495  R 1200GS ADV    KLR650

Offline Mzee

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
  • Bikes: DL 650 Suzuki; Honda 250 Suzuki 125; Vespa
    • Mzee-Jaki
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2013, 01:21:52 pm »
Brake pads and the like I do myself. I electrical and engine I take to the guru.
Life is kind to those who afford it kindness

XT1200Z Super Tenere