2007 Great African GS Challenge - on the gravy train

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuckyStriker

Bachelor Dog
Reaction score
Bike
BMW G650 X-challenge
Herewith a short report with little to read but plenty pics:

I picked up my media bike from Donford Motorrad on Monday morning and spent the rest of that day packing and adjusting the bikeâ??s suspension.
BMW SA invited TopBike magazine and they in turn decided to send me as their representative. What can say, itâ??s tough being LuckyStriker.

I marked the GoogleEarth maps with the places where I took pics. Match the corresponding pics with the markers if you like.

googleupfw6.jpg

Day one â?? Ride up from the Cape to Papkuilsfontein, 25km south of Nieuwoudtville

pic00np3.jpg

Pic00 â?? Stopping off at Ceres for a bottle of OBS & Mocador

pic01aq2.jpg

Pic01 â?? Anton, one the third member of our party splashing through outside Eselbank in the Cederberg.

pic03xa2.jpg

Arriving at Papkuilsfontein campsite â?? we were already quite cheery when we arrived thanks to our regular beer stops and the bottles OBS and Mocador.

pic04lv5.jpg

In the distance you can see the Bedouin tent, apparently the largest of its kind in South Africa.
Everything had to be shipped in. Clean Porta-loos with ample paper and water. Sufficient showers with 24hour-hot water.
The food during the course of the event was quite good. Warm and cold breakfasts every morning, a snack bag for lunch (biltong/droewors and dried fruits & salted nuts) and large evening meals with desserts. They had mielies too but I couldnâ??t tell you if they were hot or not because I donâ??t really like them anyway.
The bar was well stocked and we saw it close at around midnight every night. The lounges had comfortable sofas, wicker chairs and glass coffee tables. All very impressive, very posh.
Drinking into the wee hours in complete darkness (after they shut down the bar) was performed by a few hardy souls, of which I proudly count myself one of.
The Wild Dogs represented the crazier element of the participants...as it should be.

The rest of the participants went to bed at around 9! Boring bastardsâ?¦

pic02sr2.jpg

What a beauty!

googleo1iw8.jpg

Orange route Day 1 â?? 303km, slightly technical, stunning scenery, easiest of the Orange routes.
Very nice route which took the participants around 7hours to complete. Jacko and I did it in about 5, including the hair-of-the-dog in Loeriesfontein.

pic05ll1.jpg

Pic05 â?? Sheep obstacles

pic06bl3.jpg

Pic06 â?? Mud

pic07ta0.jpg

Pic07 â?? Awesome landscapes

pic08ky8.jpg

Pic08 â?? Typical dirt roads â?? good for 100km/h max because of sudden wash-aways and large rocks.

pic09pt2.jpg

Pic09 â?? Dry riverbed crossings, easy stuff if you know how to ride sand.
One or two X-challenges and HP2â??s did the Orange route. Iâ??m not sure why they didnâ??t do the Red route instead, surely the Orange is way to simple for such bikes.

pic10ex9.jpg

Albert from Donford Motorrad doing some repairs on a holed sump. Three dealers provided staff for the workshop: Hamman, Auto Atlantic and Donford. Work was done free of charg, you only had to pay for replacement parts if the damage could not be repaired.
The most common ailment was broken/missing bash-plates and mirrors. I had to bring my bike in as well because both mirrors were vibrating loose and needed frequent adjustment, very irritating but soon sorted by the helpful mechanics.
A few injuries occurred on all the routes but they were all caused by people who raced too fast or through choosing a route above their skill level â?? all were preventable IMHO.

googleo2kc8.jpg

Orange route Day 2 â?? 332km, The longest of all the Orange routes, great views, fairly challenging.

pic11kc2.jpg

Pic11

pic12ka6.jpg

Pic12
Still heavily hung over from the night before

pic13vj6.jpg

Pic13 â?? Pakhuis pass

pic14gx2.jpg

Pic14 â?? Bidou valley

pic15av5.jpg

Pic15 â?? as al die riviere vol brandewyn wasâ?¦ wie wil dan water he?...

pic16rh5.jpg

Pic16 â?? Second malfunction. The TKC ate my mudguard sir.

pic17hb8.jpg

Pic17

pic18ed5.jpg

Skills challenge, day 2

pic19xy6.jpg

The rules are simple. You lose points for touching the ground, sitting down in the seat, falling, etc. Lose enough points and the marshals may tell you to stop and get off the course.

pic20ty2.jpg

Coloured flags denote special rules. Orange flags indicate that the rider has to ride on the left peg only.

pic21jr5.jpg

Close fit

pic22ai2.jpg

White flag, both feet on the seat

pic23iw6.jpg

Brake failure

pic24nr9.jpg

Very tight fit

pic25vi0.jpg

Iâ??m sure all of us would be able to do the skills challenge without a problem. The trick is to do it without committing errors such as putting your feet out or toppling over. You are also timed as you do the obstacle course. These guys were really good.

pic26bq3.jpg

pic27hr6.jpg

pic28sm7.jpg

pic29mr7.jpg

pic30tz8.jpg

pic31kr7.jpg

The new 4fiddy â?? world premier