Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: DRZ400E Engine rebuild due to seized camshaft  (Read 7250 times)

Offline Torque Curve

• Bike: AJS (all models)
Re: DRZ400E seized camshaft
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2012, 07:42:21 pm »
The previous two owners had the bike for six months and about 3000km. They had no problems and suspected none either. So its my bad luck that the motor went with me as the owner.
If DJ can tell us who he bought the bike from in Dec 2011 we could pick up the scent of a butcher, but I really don't have time for that kind of negative pursuits.
Both owners before me paid a premium for this bike because it looked and went well. I also didn't haggle on price due to the condition of the bike.
I decided to fix this motor and that's that. If we live our lives waiting for people who wronged us to come and apologise that's all we will end up doing - waiting, not living. I say get over it, get on with it!

This beautiful collection of metal flakes is the reason I'm replacing aal the bearings. And no, the 10-spanner wasn't in there, it's to show the actual size of some particles.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 08:04:45 pm by Torque Curve »
“Sometimes it's a little better to travel than to arrive”
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values

Offline Heddles

« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2012, 08:07:50 pm »
To a large degree what i do with anything mechanical that I buy.. Would be nice to know who the clown is though. He is one of the people who brings the name of the mechanic into disrepute..

Loads of petrol, or whatever you use to clean.. soapy water and a decent amount of compressed air and you should have a clinically clean bucket of bits to reassemble...

Offline DJ

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Member of the SSS
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2012, 07:43:37 am »
Hey TC,

Sorry to hear about all the whoa's with the DRZ, it was such a lekker bike and I still miss it.  I was the second owner and the previous guy I bought the bike from had it from new. I never opened the engine and only replaced oil and filter on the bike while I had it. If I had known about the shoddy workmanship inside the motor I would never have bought the bike. I do have his contact details should you want them.

Good luck with the rebuild!!

Cheers,
Dale
Previously owned: Vuka RM200, Aprilia Pegaso Cube 650, Suzuki DRZ400E, Kawasaki KLE500, Suzuki DR350

Offline Torque Curve

« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2012, 07:07:19 pm »
Hey TC,

Sorry to hear about all the whoa's with the DRZ, it was such a lekker bike and I still miss it.  I was the second owner and the previous guy I bought the bike from had it from new. I never opened the engine and only replaced oil and filter on the bike while I had it. If I had known about the shoddy workmanship inside the motor I would never have bought the bike. I do have his contact details should you want them.

Good luck with the rebuild!!

Cheers,
Dale

Hi Dale, nice to read from you. Like I said before I'm not into witch-hunts, but if you do see the first owner poke him in the eye for me. ;)
I'm enjoying the work on the motor. Here's some pics of the last strip work I did today. All the bearings were press out on a hydraulic press and I made a sliding hammer to remove bearings from blind holes. The casings are now totally bare and ready for assembly.
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values

Offline Torque Curve

« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2012, 07:16:48 pm »
The oil supply to the clutch cam was blocked off because a non-OEM bearing was installed with its dust seal in place. Some internal engine bearings will require a dust seal to be in place to ensure adequite oil pressure - this is not one of those bearings. My clutch cam now has a notch worn into it.

Offline mtbbiker

• Bike: Suzuki DR-Z 400
  • Meerkat V2.0
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2012, 07:23:28 pm »
Well the positive about this whole "incident" is that you will get to know the engine intimately - if I have any questions in the future I know who I will be calling ;D
Without goals and plans to reach them, you are like a ship that has set sail with no destination - Fitzhugh Dodson
Project Meerkat:DRZ rally build http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=86025.0

Offline Torque Curve

Re: DRZ400E Engine rebuild due to seized camshaft
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2012, 07:27:18 pm »
Well the positive about this whole "incident" is that you will get to know the engine intimately - if I have any questions in the future I know who I will be calling ;D

Ja, I should rename this thread to indicate that it is a rebuild story. A senior colleague advised me to fix the motor - he says its good for one's soul to turn wrongs into rights.

Offline mtbbiker

• Meerkat V2.0
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2012, 08:20:51 pm »
 :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:
Without goals and plans to reach them, you are like a ship that has set sail with no destination - Fitzhugh Dodson
Project Meerkat:DRZ rally build http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=86025.0

Offline Torque Curve

« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2012, 09:09:03 pm »
Hannes,

Head all packed. Will get it to Time Freight on Monday.

ken

Ken's head arrived in a box today :lol8: That's Ken's DRZ-head. A beautiful condition complete head which I could just bolt straight on if it wasn't for all the other problems to fix further down in the motor. I've been doing a basic leak-down test on the valves and they've been holding tight for 15 minutes already, so things are really looking good!

Thank you, Ken!!!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 02:51:10 pm by Torque Curve »

Offline Heddles

« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2012, 12:22:43 pm »
Don't see a thermostat there.. Is it missing..?

Offline Torque Curve

« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2012, 04:24:06 pm »
Don't see a thermostat there.. Is it missing..?

Good for noticing, but E-model DRZ's don't have thermostats or radiator fans. By the way the valves in the head I got from Ken showed no leak over night!!

Offline Kobus

• RPMods
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2012, 04:56:34 pm »
Had to laugh for the plaster on the finger.   :)
Dream like you will live forever, live like you're going to die tomorrow

Offline Kenzogs

« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2012, 05:29:12 pm »
If the valves in your head leak then your brains run out  ;D
You can never get lost - you just reach a different destination.
Every road has to lead somewhere - even if it is a dead-end.

Offline Heddles

« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2012, 06:55:05 pm »
Interesting about the fans and thermostats. Makes sense though. I have however come across them with both but later models.. Does this mean that it's an improvement and the older bikes would benefit from the mod...?

Offline Torque Curve

« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2012, 07:00:17 pm »
Interesting about the fans and thermostats. Makes sense though. I have however come across them with both but later models.. Does this mean that it's an improvement and the older bikes would benefit from the mod...?

My 2010 DRZ was also sans thermostat and fan. No, don't think its an improvement as much as a functional reason on the E-motors which were designed with off-road riding in mind. The S and SM models, being road-based, would benefit more from the fan in traffic etc.

Offline Heddles

« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2012, 07:28:30 pm »
I just cringe when I am battling through deep sand, or hectic rocks where you are mostly not generating land speed. My se would have its fans pomping in a situation like that and both the DRZ and the WR don't have fans.. Just wonder if the repeated, continuous abuse doesn't chisel away at the life of the motor..

Offline Torque Curve

« Reply #56 on: September 05, 2012, 08:43:35 pm »
I just cringe when I am battling through deep sand, or hectic rocks where you are mostly not generating land speed. My se would have its fans pomping in a situation like that and both the DRZ and the WR don't have fans.. Just wonder if the repeated, continuous abuse doesn't chisel away at the life of the motor..

True, when doing slow technical trails the motor must get hot. Maybe a manual switch onto two Computer fans is a cheap option? Vapors have heat guages that plumb into the radiator hose, but surely cheaper temp guaging is possible?

Offline Heddles

« Reply #57 on: September 05, 2012, 09:31:02 pm »
There a a few really nice VW inline switches that will fit perfectly into the pipes on the Zee.. Would just have to check a few specs and which one would do the job properly and then a couple of PC fans. Would do the trick. I actually bought a pair of radiators with a fan from someone who was breaking one up. Would have to get the correct pipes though because the newer models with fans used a different plumbing arrangement.. They have thermoswitches in the rad tanks.. Have to look closely to see what temp they operate at.

My Zee is on hold for now. Trying to get it legal. Once I am certain it's not going to the crusher, I will do the rad mod, fit the rear subframe with the footpeg mounts. Get the nice bits fitted and then decide if it stays or goes.. Must say. I enjoy it more every time I ride it..

Offline MildDog

« Reply #58 on: September 05, 2012, 11:16:57 pm »
A simpler way to do the fan story: buy a second hand left hand rand from a DRZ SM from the interwebs. The radiator is exactly the same size and shape, but it has a thermostat and a fan fitted. So just needs to be wired up :)

However, if you do that, you can't fit radiator guards onto the left side radiator. The fan gets in the way.

Pretty exciting build :) sucks your engine fell apart so quickly.
I crash test all of my safety gear. Do you?

Offline Etienne2T

• Mr.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Dinosaur
« Reply #59 on: September 05, 2012, 11:41:56 pm »

True, when doing slow technical trails the motor must get hot. Maybe a manual switch onto two Computer fans is a cheap option? Vapors have heat guages that plumb into the radiator hose, but surely cheaper temp guaging is possible?

I used to run a Vapor dash, and fitted two fans on a switch, they were simple brushless PC fans and you could see a noticeable drop in temperature when they were activated.