Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: DRZ400E Engine rebuild due to seized camshaft  (Read 7249 times)

Offline Torque Curve

• Bike: AJS (all models)
Re: DRZ400E Engine rebuild due to seized camshaft
« Reply #80 on: November 21, 2012, 05:20:46 pm »
??? LOOP SY AL ??? :ricky:

Nee, ek wag vir die timing chain. Die res van die motor is aan mekaar. Die clutch kan nie ingaan voordat die timing chain nie in is nie. Sal 'n slag weer foto's oplaai.
“Sometimes it's a little better to travel than to arrive”
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values

Offline Torque Curve

« Reply #81 on: November 21, 2012, 05:26:39 pm »
...Fitted the crank, put the gears back in, pulled cases closer with bolts and then...
the cases didn't touch!  :BangHead: :angry4: :angry5: :cussing: So I patiently took everything apart again - NOT! Pressed out the main bearings and measured them. Turns out the OEM main bearings are 1mm narrower than the ones I bought at Bearing Man. I took the originals and asked the sales guy to supply replacements, but never checked the width. So there goes my bearing saving because the OEM bearings are >R800 for the set...

Sorry when you mentioned all but two bearings from Bearing Man I assumed you referred to the two main bearings. Else I would have warned you.

No, the two bearings I refer to is the needle bearing inside the large starter gear and the one on the clutch shaft. I should actually take up the side bearing issue with Bearing Man because they had the old ones as samples to supply the new ones, but still gave me the incorrect thickness (ignoring the suffix in the part number).
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
« Reply #82 on: November 22, 2012, 08:27:30 am »
... I should actually take up the side bearing issue with Bearing Man because they had the old ones as samples to supply the new ones, but still gave me the incorrect thickness (ignoring the suffix in the part number).

Not really. The markings of the OEM Suzuki bearings are highly unusual, misleading and non standard.
The BMG salesman could have measured them and compared to the old ones so could you.

I had exactly the same problem but realised the difference at the BMG shop and only ended up with a delay having to wait for Suzuki to source the main bearings.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline Torque Curve

« Reply #83 on: November 24, 2012, 03:03:05 pm »
Here's an update on my progress: The motor is 90% together and I got fed-up waiting for the timing chain to arrive from US so went and bought one from Suzuki here.  Here's the very mooi 4mm over-size  Vertex piston.

Offline Torque Curve

« Reply #84 on: November 24, 2012, 03:06:38 pm »
One half of motor awaiting assembly and the last few mm's before the casings met up nicely.

Offline Torque Curve

« Reply #85 on: November 24, 2012, 03:11:41 pm »
Balancer gears, starter gear, oil pump, gear selector mechanism.

Offline Torque Curve

« Reply #86 on: November 24, 2012, 03:16:35 pm »
It was a happy moment when the piston went into the barrel.
New water pump seal.

Offline Torque Curve

« Reply #87 on: November 24, 2012, 03:32:09 pm »
This gear set drives the balancing shaft from the crank. The gear on the right is the balancing shaft gear. I need a new one now because of my own impatience! When I torqued the primary nut to 110Nm as specified, I stupidly jammed these two gears to lock the crank. a tooth on the balancer gear broke off when just 80Nm force was applied. So let my error be a warning to all: DON'T JAM GEARS.

The R900 for a new gear is bad and having to wait while it comes from Japan is even worse!!!

Offline buzzlightyear

• I'm Buzz Lightyear. I come in peace.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • To infinity and beyond
« Reply #88 on: November 24, 2012, 04:06:21 pm »
Ouch. Looking good so far!
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Offline katana

• One day when I grow up, I want to be a
  • Bike: Honda XR650L
  • Sheer Smiling Pleasure
« Reply #89 on: November 25, 2012, 08:06:51 am »
Are you assembling the motor 100% dry - no oil film?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 08:07:19 am by katana »
"The only man that has to remember anything, is the man who tells a lie" Mark Twain

Offline Torque Curve

« Reply #90 on: November 25, 2012, 05:44:28 pm »
Are you assembling the motor 100% dry - no oil film?

No, there's oil there on all the bearings, inside the barrel, big end, small end etc. Each area gets extra oil before covers go on too.

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
« Reply #91 on: November 26, 2012, 07:27:57 am »
Here's an update on my progress: The motor is 90% together and I got fed-up waiting for the timing chain to arrive from US so went and bought one from Suzuki here.  Here's the very mooi 4mm over-size  Vertex piston.

Ask and you will be assisted.

Generic (as far as not arriving in a Suzuki box besides that exactly the same as OEM) timing chains are available locally. From me for example.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline Torque Curve

« Reply #92 on: November 27, 2012, 03:02:26 pm »
Ja, Lecap I know you're a helpful man! But you are in the Cape and my impatience was boiling over in PE!

Offline Torque Curve

« Reply #93 on: December 12, 2012, 09:48:48 pm »
The replacement balancer shaft gear arrived this afternoon. Oil, coolant and tools have been standing ready for weeks.
Putting everything back together went quite quickly. Fortunately I checked the battery yesterday - it was dead and needed to be replaced.
At 9pm I pressed the starter button for the first time in 4 months and the DRZ started up right away and idled smoothly. Must still fit the cosmetics, new tail light and chain and then the riding in will start tomorrow. Pictures will follow.

Offline buzzlightyear

• I'm Buzz Lightyear. I come in peace.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • To infinity and beyond
« Reply #94 on: December 13, 2012, 05:01:07 am »
Naais! :thumleft:
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Offline Torque Curve

« Reply #95 on: December 15, 2012, 11:18:30 pm »
Last pics on this thread. Complete motor and complete bike sans mirrors and flickers. Taken before leaving to the first dirt ride in four months. I did the first 100km very gently on Friday and changed the oil. Upped the pace a bit today...
The increased torque is very noticable: We rode on well known tracks behind Rover track. The bike now gets the front up on demand. Running at 70-80km/h in fifth I can raise the front off the ground to clear ruts and obstacles. Fourth gear sees full-on power wheelies on any surface where the T63's at 0.8 bar can hook up. Tried to keep it below 100km/h :lol8: and still gently on the revs for the first 500km.

Offline bungycool

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #96 on: December 15, 2012, 11:49:51 pm »
shoee thats a tidy bike - in the last photo looks like a bottle of beer on the tail!
If your'e going to do something do it with conviction!