DRZ400E Engine rebuild due to seized camshaft

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torque Curve

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
NER-A-CAR
Threads about recently purchased bikes should start with farkles and ride pics, but unfortunately mine starts with an engine rebuild. The bike performed 100% when I got it and the oil was free of any contaminants. I accept that all damage was done over the past 800km under my use.

I thought that I had run out of fuel last Saturday, but the tank was half. On trying to restart it I was met with a few pops and back-fires, so onto a bakkie it went.
I spent two evenings cleaning and checking the carb and when it still would not start I decided to remove the valve cover as the start of deeper search efforts.
I discoverd that the inlet camshaft had seized on both journals and this caused the camshaft cap to develop a large Y-shaped crack. The left inlet valve is stuck 5mm open and there is a slight metal to metal rub mark on the inlet side of the cylinder wall. I also flushed about 1/2 a teaspoon of metal shavings and particles from the motor.
I discovered that the valve cover, head and cylinder had been removed before and possibly on two different occasions because different sealant residues were present on joining surfaces.

I changed the oil and filter as soon as I got the bike (Castrol Actevo and OEM filter) and found no particles on the magnetic sump plug or in the old oil, so I am quite confident that all damage was caused during the approx. 800km that I put on the bike. So, please be clear that I'm not looking to point fingers or seek any clarification from previous owners.

An entire new head assembly (read good used) is required, new inlet camshaft and at least a cylinder hone and new rings. But since the motor needs to be split entirely to check and measure all components I might as well do what ever work is required to the clutch, replace the timing chain and all oil seals.

I'm looking forward to doing the work on this motor - a lovely bonding experience between man and machine.

Attachments

• 100_2000.JPG
    100_2000.JPG
    134.5 KB · Views: 432
  • 100_2006.JPG
    100_2006.JPG
    154 KB · Views: 425
  • 100_1986.JPG
    100_1986.JPG
    173.9 KB · Views: 432
  • 100_1993.JPG
    100_1993.JPG