Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: I'm coming back to SA -- with my wife who hates motos.  (Read 1132 times)

Offline tomrinbellingham

• Puppy
  • Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
  • Making friends in high places - Peruvian Andes
I'm coming back to SA -- with my wife who hates motos.
« on: August 26, 2012, 11:09:50 pm »
I bought a bike on Wild Dogs last year and rode it up to Cairo and on to Germany. I'm coming back next May/June with my wife to celebrate our 50th anniversary with a month riding about your country.

This time I will be doing the riding about inside a vehicle with four wheels :-[.

I would appreciate any suggestions as to what websites I might begin to do some shopping for a used, good shape, smallish, camper or van type vehicle that woaccommodatedate 4 people - necessarilyaily to sleep inside.

I have some friends there now who would probably look about for something to buy - and later sell for me, if I could figure out just what I wanted and how much it would cost etc.

Here I would just go on eBay and see what's out there. But, in SA, I don't know what sites to look at. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Tom
Tom
Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile. Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should sing and dance -- and ride motorcycles.

Offline Manic

• Little Fat Guy
  • Vendors
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 11:20:41 pm by Manic »

Offline Manic

• Little Fat Guy
  • Vendors
  • Gentleman Dog
  • Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
Re: I'm coming back to SA -- with my wife who hates motos.
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2012, 11:22:25 pm »
Make sure your search is clicked on "all regions" on each website I gave you.

Offline tomrinbellingham

• Puppy
  • Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
  • Making friends in high places - Peruvian Andes
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 11:36:56 pm »
"all regions" yes. But, does it make a difference that I really prefer to make a buy from a private party not a dealer? Maybe it's more of an American thing, but I trust dealers less than politicians. I'd rather trust an unknown regular person to not try to cheat me than a dealer who makes his living by the number of "deals" he makes.

www.autotrader.co.za
www.gumtree.co.za

www.junkmail.co.za
Tom
Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile. Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we're here we should sing and dance -- and ride motorcycles.

Offline Fudmucker

• Grey hound
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Airheads are an admirable addiction
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 12:07:06 am »
Most of the sellers are private individuals.
Don't send money unless you've seen the bike and the registration papers.
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.
I do not intend to attend every argument I am invited to.
I'm not deaf... I'm ignoring you.

Offline Dirty Boy

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Son, thats not how I showed you......
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 09:21:08 am »
"all regions" yes. But, does it make a difference that I really prefer to make a buy from a private party not a dealer? Maybe it's more of an American thing, but I trust dealers less than politicians. I'd rather trust an unknown regular person to not try to cheat me than a dealer who makes his living by the number of "deals" he makes.

www.autotrader.co.za
www.gumtree.co.za

www.junkmail.co.za

Hey, thats great that you want to come back for some more adventure  :thumleft:
I totally understand your sentiments about dealers but there are just as many dodgy private sellers too.
I think there are a number of Dealers that advertise on Gumtree as Private sellers. If you want to see the car, they offer to bring it to you. Sometimes they say they are Private sellers but on the RHS of the page there is "View poster's other Ads " link and 'hey presto', he has 26 other cars for sale !!
Im sure you are worldy wise to see through some of the chimps but be aware there are a lot of scams on Gumtree. Good luck  :thumleft: :3some:

Offline ThomTom

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 07:14:23 am »
Go onto 4x4community and jion as a member.  It will give you great advice on where to go and what to do.  For second hand camper that you can sleep inside, look at Britz Rental, they sometimes sell second hand.  the best paces in SA is on dirt roads, off the beaten track.  You can often reach them in a normal vehicle but often a 4x4 is a must. The typical SA tour in summer will be a 4x4 and a trailer.

Offline IRISH

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 07:21:47 am »
Glad to hear that you are considering another adventure in SA. Maybe consider RENTING a camper from Britz or a similar company. It takes a lot of the pain away, especially if you are not going to stay for a long period. Campers are fairly expensive here compared to say NZ, Oz or the UK and they do not sell quickly after you have finished with them.

Offline briv

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • I know how an Ostrich sounds!!! knaplap huh !
oor B..erge en RIV..iere sal ons ry,
mag dit altyd tog so bly....
Yamaha AG 100. Honda XR200. Yamaha XS11.  KTM 640 ADV. BMW 650 DAKAR. Africa Twin RD07. KTM 990 ADV. BMW R1200 GS, Honda CRF 1000

is jy moeg,,,,, of vaak groot gemaak?  (2StrokeDan)