Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: KZN Dogs, 25-08-2012.  (Read 948 times)

Offline zacapa

• Bike: Honda XR650L
  • XR650L - 134.217kg lite weight special...
KZN Dogs, 25-08-2012.
« on: August 26, 2012, 11:56:57 pm »
Seeing that no-one has got around to an RR, let me kick off with with the some news of the Saturday 25th trip
down KZN side. Flex had posted a few days before and put together a new route for us. Saturday bright and early
we all met at Vmacs in Westmead. As usual I was the last to get to the meeting spot due to hitting the snooze button
5 times in a row. Good to meet some new Dogs in the process, and the most outstanding feature was that out of 7
riders we were all represented on different bikes. Flex decided to cheat by coming along on a semi plastic DRZ 400
which was the lightest bike on the trip scaling in at a swelte 127 kg fully fueled. As Flex is a grand dad in comparison to the rest
of us I think you will understand. Youngest member of the group ryno.v was representing the blue & white propellor badge with his
lightweight 213kg fully fueled F800GS. No problem for the skinny youngster then.
Long Story Short - An amazing ride was had by all, saw a wild zebra in the bush, rediscovered and waypointed old Hammarsdale MX track,
learnt a bit about ruins and appropriation of land in new SA, went chasing up a hill with trevorwb and Flex who was just too fast
to catch on his semi plastic. Much time was spent at Mfula store fixing 2 punctures which was eased by the passing of Hansa's finest
and a collection of tools and spanners, CO2 bombs etc. being thrown in by the collective, all free of charge of course.

Statistics:
Distance travelled - about 153km
Bikes - DRZ400E, KTM950SE, XR650L, KLR650, XTZ660Tenere, F800GS, KTM690
Riders: flex, trevorwb, zacapa, bushcat, ryno.v, salvage and salvage's mate on the XTZ (apology - please add the missing infos)
Weather: Pretty damn hot for a winters day
Speed: Slow and controlled for most parts, a wee bit of tyre spin, powerslides and general foolishness in others.
Offs: Can't say for sure, just know I took a rest down the plastics path early in the morning when the Mich Desert on greasy cross-slope
which didn't agree with this early in my day. ryno.v did amazingly well with only 1 or 2 walking pace tip-overs on difficult terrain. The BMW
engine guards held up well considering the $ paid . Flex entertained us all by doing the pirouette on the DRZ on a slimy river crossing that he had
all warned us about. Bushcat did the usual in displaying good riding style and only succumbing to the draw of terra firma once while moving and twice
when stationary.
Mechanical malfunctions: Only 2 punctures along the way, fixed during a beer break or two. Thx to all involved.

Conclusion:
You can take an assortment of arbitrary ADV bikes and throw it all together.
You can have riders of agegroup 25 - 60 and throw it all together.
End of trip - We all relate, make of bike don't matter, age of rider don't matter - Station Masters in Hillcrest was cool for getting hydration levels back to normal.
Cool Ride Guys - looking forward to more of the same.

Arb pics below, too busy riding for taking photos - pls add some more.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 12:09:34 am by zacapa »

Offline 777

Re: KZN Dogs, 25-08-2012.
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 07:10:46 am »
Mmm, maybe i should have brought my bike on the bakkie to V Macs and startred early with the puncture reapirs, txs for the RR, nice one
TS 50- Gave away
RM 125- Not sure where it is.
IT 200- Sold.
XT 550- Sold.
CR 250-Sold. RMX 250-Sold WR 250-Sold. CFR 450x-Sold. CRF 250x-Sold. XT 660R- Sold KTM 690 Enduro- Alfie Cox Special Edition .Honda XR 650L., WR450, Current bikes, KTM 500 Six Days and BMW 800GS

Offline Bushcat

• Bike: KTM 790 Adventure R
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 12:33:16 pm »
Shot for the ride report Thorsten,  was a good day had by all with a few good laughs & lekker new riding terrain found, Dave & Craig definatly lost out on this one, big up to young Ryno on his pig with "Air o plain" tyres, that took brass balls in my book!  Was good to have Wayne & Tony with us too!! Flex & his wipe out was another good laugh, but damn i think he is feeling it today !!
Motorsport is the only sport, the rest are just GAMES!!

Offline CoolBreeze

• 'Live to Ride & Ride to Live'
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 01:03:54 pm »
Great ride report Zacapa, thank you. It was an amazing day and I could not have asked for a better route. Looking back on the ride, I actually cannot believe I got though some of the spots, my riding confidence has definitely taken a massive boost.
Thank you also to BushCat for the air bomb and Salvage for the 2cans of Tyreweld, I will arrange to replace those when we meet next time. (Good Excuse for another ride  )
Overall:   -I learnt a hell of allot about my own riding ability (momentum, momentum momentum!!)
   -Iím fitting knobblies this week
-Iím getting my toolkit and puncture repair kit sorted
   -I met some great guys, had a shit load of fun and had a Hansa Quarts and a Zululand platter for lunch.

Thanks all, canít wait for the next one.
'One life, Live it...so...Live to Ride & Ride to Live' :)
F800GS, XT660R....and soon to add XR650L

Offline trevorwb

• Bike: KTM 690 Enduro
  • Warning Labels are only recommendations
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 02:25:11 pm »
Good ride report-Thanks all for a fantastic day out.I look forward to this weekends ride.Where to next ?.Zacapa send me yr email address for those oil specs.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 02:32:14 pm by trevorwb »

Offline CoolBreeze

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 03:30:43 pm »
Good Fun

Offline CoolBreeze

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 03:39:24 pm »

Offline goingnowherequickly

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 07:27:36 pm »
looks like a fun ride was had...
Unfortunately I work most saturdays   :( , so missed out
Thanks for posting the report, will have to catch up for a ride soon
 :thumleft:

Offline flex

• Flex
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • BMW R80 g/s
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 03:52:15 pm »
Hey I didn't see this report....  :lamer: been busy, busy.......
What a good RR Zacappa - well done bud!!
Can't wait for the next ride.
Hows this for a diff this Sat.
Its the Classic Bike Club monthly meet.
Classic sidecars on show this month. Starts 12:00 ish. burger & a few v cold millers and some really good company  :mwink:
Anybody want to join me let me know, its different & I love it!!! (admittedly nothing beats the bush....but) This is a good diff frame, some awesome bikes, awesome restoration projects and some real knowledgeable chaps around  :thumleft:
Zacappa, bringing that BMW is a must - come for a burger.

Then about the ride, well those pics are amazing and I am looking forward to riding with you guys again sooner than later. Maybe I'll have my new ProTapers on then I'll be able to ride properly  :laughing4:
Never seen anybody make a 950 look like a 50 ....  :imaposer:
XR650L
DR-Z 400
AJS 350
BMW R80 gs, BMW R60, BMW 1150GSA