Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: you gotta get microdotted!!!  (Read 3957 times)

Offline Kobus

• RPMods
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
Re: you gotta get microdotted!!!
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2012, 11:11:58 am »
So what exactly is a microdot?           :-\
Dream like you will live forever, live like you're going to die tomorrow

Offline HONDAKAWA11

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2012, 11:15:07 am »
exactly what its name implies, it is a tiny tiny dot with information about the vehicle or object they are placed on. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microdot

Microdot identification is a process where tiny identification tags are etched or coded with a given vehicle VIN, asset identification number or a unique serial number. Unique personal identification numbers (PIN), asset identification number or customized customer data entries are also available. The microdots are brushed or sprayed onto the key parts of an asset to provide complete parts marking. The technology was developed in the United States in the 1990s before being commercialized by various manufacturers and distributors around the world.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 11:19:13 am by HONDAKAWA11 »

Offline Drusky

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2012, 07:10:20 pm »
Youíve heard about the law, the procedure and probably the cost but until you have experienced it you donít really know how the microdot system will affect your blood pressure. Here is my short story.

I bought an old R80ST recently. A lithe, lovely little road machine. A classic beauty. I am very fond of her even though weíve known only each other for a week. Our one and only brief romp through the country back roads lasted from the courier to my garage.

Now that it is clean up and fix up time I get to see what nasty things have happened to her over time. Most things are acceptable given her age but what I really canít stand is the microdotting.

Imagine taking a Chernobyl survivor, make sure he has a really gummy gluey chest cold and get him to snort and growl nicely before spitting on every removable part of your lovely machine. Let the gunk dry like hot glue and then stand back to admire the disaster that is microdotting. It fluoresces a purple/blue colour under the UV light of the sun, I have managed to peel some of it off the engine casings but my air mox and multiple other parts appear to be permanently marked. Itís revolting, offensive and ruinous.

If you get this done make sure that the fellow applying the stuff does so on inconspicuous places. Under the mudguard. Under the lid of the airbox. On the inside edge of the frame. Threaten to tar and feather him if he makes your bike look like it has been shat on by fruit bats.

I have tried using acetone to remove one spot. No dice. Anyone have any better ideas?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 09:36:10 pm by Drusky »

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2012, 07:37:36 pm »
According to the Website, a bike kit is R500...?

http://www.datadot.co.za/datadot_buy_for_motor_bike.php
AIRHEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline Motties

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
  • Was Darksider
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2012, 07:39:53 pm »
I had to do a Venter when I did the change of ownership a month or two ago. Seems currently it depends on where you go, not everyone seems to know about this yet, or do they?
'16 KTM 300 XCW

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2012, 07:48:46 pm »
According to the datadot website, the placement of data dots is defined in SANS 534-1.
Guess what?
If you want to read SANS 534-1, you have to pay SABS the amount of R129 to get a copy!
You can't copy it or photocopy it or scan it or inform anyone else here about it.

The rip-off has just started, guys.

Offline Drusky

« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2012, 09:21:31 pm »
The Microdot of the R80St cost R400 in JHB. I recently had an AG200 treated locally through Datadot for R500 odd they did a much neater job than the JHB crowd.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 09:33:01 pm by Drusky »

Offline Jughead

• Old rail tunnel, Cradock.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Port Elizabeth
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2012, 10:45:18 am »
I have the Microdot contract in PE.

R395 for a bike, 3000dots.
I came here to drink milk and kick arse!  And i've just finished my milk.
http://www.dsmc.co.za        http://www.triumphowners.com/to-car/mkiii/
Supplier of Ticket to the Moon Hammocks   http://www.ticketothemoon.com             

Offline madmax

• Bike: Rotax (all models)
  • I may be MAD but it MAX no difference
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2012, 12:38:26 pm »
i just bought 2nd hand bakkie ... had it maybe 1 month or 6 weeks... no miceodots, roadworthied (apparently genuine) by dealer and registred .... done in edenvale
fornicate the proletariat

Offline donovan paton

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2012, 12:56:37 pm »
Phoned my local dot dealer and asked if I had to have my willy doted as I like to loan it to the wife, was not impressed with me :)
first bike, XR200R 19??
YZ125 1988
KTM200 2001
YZ250 2008
KLR650 2007 next bike super tenera (dont tell the wife)

Offline Jannie46

« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2012, 01:14:54 pm »
There are four companies in South Africa doing microdots:
1.)    Veridot
2.)    Datadot
3.)    Autodot
4.)    Recoveri

It will pay to shop around.

I have been part of the standards writing committee. We never professed that everything is perfect. Yes, like all things new, it will have it's fair share of criticism and teething pains. Corruption to the scale indicated in this thread, I doubt. Maybe it is time that those who make remarks, substantiate it with facts.

I am still a member of the technical committee and we would welcome hard facts to work with.

There are no so-called goverment contracts, and this business is a private initiative with several role players each fighting for market share.

I am fully aware that in future we will have to deal with aspects of corruption and criminality as microdotting become more known and taking effect. But his is for discussion on another day.

Hope this help those who do not understand.

Offline Bill the Bong

• CRF450X for the win
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2012, 01:19:04 pm »
Its a long time since I've had to read officialese.

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2012, 01:20:16 pm »
1.)    Veridot
2.)    Datadot
3.)    Autodot
4.)    Recoveri

I have been part of the standards writing committee. We never professed that everything is perfect. Yes, like all things new, it will have it's fair share of criticism and teething pains. Corruption to the scale indicated in this thread, I doubt. Maybe it is time that those who make remarks, substantiate it with facts.

I am still a member of the technical committee and we would welcome hard facts to work with.

There are no so-called goverment contracts, and this business is a private initiative with several role players each fighting for market share.

I am fully aware that in future we will have to deal with aspects of corruption and criminality as microdotting become more known and taking effect. But his is for discussion on another day.

Is this a requirement for border crossing?
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline Koet

• T-Rex 700N "The Beast"!
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Splash!
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2012, 01:47:05 pm »
1.)    Veridot
2.)    Datadot
3.)    Autodot
4.)    Recoveri

So does that mean that there is no law that a vehicle must be fitted with this?  Sorry, but this is a bit confusing to me.
Only Bikers understand why dogs love to stick their heads out car windows.

Offline Jannie46

« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2012, 03:07:58 pm »
@ Adventurer. I would think that if the vehicle is RSA registered, it must be microdotted. 

@ Koet. It is a legal requirement now for vehicles to be microdotted. What I meant by the remark,highlighted by you, is that this is a private sector initiative driven through government. The Standard requires that all vehicles registered after 1 September 2012, must be microdotted.

Just for interest, the following organizations participated in the workgroup who drafted and reviewed the standard:

Asset Identification Systems CC
Association of Motorcycle Importers and Distributors (AMID)
Business Against Crime South Africa
Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR)
Datadot Technology SA (Pty)Ltd
Department of Transport
Holomatrix (Pty)Ltd
Itaro Information Technologies (Pty)Ltd
National Association of Automobile Manufacturers of SA (NAAMSA)
National Regulator of Compulsory Specifications (NRCS)
Pro Scripto Document Examination CC
Recoveri Tag What's Yours (Pty)Ltd
South African Police Service
Tasima (Pty)Ltd
The Motor Vehicle Security Association of South Africa (VESA)
Veridot (Pty)Ltd

Offline Tweets

• Shop Mods
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Centurion
« Reply #35 on: December 19, 2012, 04:33:06 pm »
For ONCE, I know this is not a gravy train issue. In fact totally contrary . The SAP and the Insurance houses have been lobbing for this for some time.  This is going to slow down the theft for 2nd hand parts big time, and assit the police in sorting out vehicle verification, registration fraud and lots of vehicle issues.  The SAPS really have a tough time trying to stay ahead of the criminals. This microdot requirements is FANTASTIC for us genuine vehicle owners.   
Borrow money from pessimists - they dont expect it back
Current bikes : 1200GS, 800GS, 400XT

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2012, 05:01:28 pm »
J46,

I understand the spirit and intention behind the microdotting. It's all about risk reduction, I know.
It started with microdotting the inside of things like desktops, hi-fi's and such a few years back as an owner's choice, supported by insurance premium reductions commensurate with the reduced risk of theft.
I also notice that the SABS Standards committee had NO REPRESENTATION FROM VEHICLE OWNER ORGANISATIONS (such as the AA).
My problem is with the implementation.
If you had a piece of art, would you permit some klutz the insurance company appointed to spray microdots over the front?
If you had an antique French Polished Louis14th table, would you allow somebody with a spraygun near it to spray stuff onto it.
"But it's only visible under UV light, sir!" you may say.
And in five years... ten years?
Is there any guarantee that the film will NEVER react with the base layer?
If it does, who suffers the damage?  
The OWNER does.
Will the Microdot contractor who sprayed the stuff all over reimburse the owner for such damages?  
Will the SABS - who wrote the standard - reimburse the owner?
Will the State who passes the legislation reimburse the owner?

I have no problem with marking things where they will not normally be seen and will not be affected by cleaning, restoration etc.
But this blanket microdotting of everything on a motorcycle is just too much to bear.
If you are trying to restore a classic motorcycle, you may be using parts sourced off a number of donor bikes.
Does that mean one has to get a police clearance certificate and register the microdots off every donor vehicle?  

The logistics of this are horrendous!

So you buy a sad rusted bike for a restoration project.  
You have to microdot it to take ownership.
How do you restore the finish without obliterating the microdots?  
Having restored the bike you have to REMICRODOT it.

If it was voluntary, a restorer could wait until the vehicle is completed and then have the completed project done.

Making microdotting compulsory is extortion.

Offline eberhard

• Bike: Moto Guzzi (all models)
  • Time takes a cigarette...
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2012, 05:14:41 pm »
 :thumleft:
eberhard
Agostini 1000
R90S
R80/7
R75/5 Big Boy 150 Vuka 110

Offline SmuGS

• A very quiet
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS
  • Only 98 669 km.
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2012, 05:38:04 pm »
DO NOT GET ME STARTED ON THIS TOPIC.. :dousing: :dousing: :dousing:
Nee wat vlekkelose ek kuier op my lekkerste tussen die rokers,dronkgatte,vloekers,hoere en ander sondaars  :imaposer:
R1150gs,  KLE 500, XT660R.

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2012, 06:23:19 pm »
What I meant by the remark,highlighted by you, is that this is a private sector initiative driven through government. The Standard requires that all vehicles registered after 1 September 2012, must be microdotted.

Just for interest, the following organizations participated in the workgroup who drafted and reviewed the standard:
INPUT: Lets see who stands to gain financially from the compulsory introduction...

Asset Identification Systems CC - Benefits directly from microdotting requirement?
Association of Motorcycle Importers and Distributors (AMID)
Business Against Crime South Africa
Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR)
Datadot Technology SA (Pty)Ltd - Benefits directly from microdotting requirement?
Department of Transport
Holomatrix (Pty)Ltd - Benefits directly from microdotting requirement?
Itaro Information Technologies (Pty)Ltd - Benefits directly from microdotting requirement?
National Association of Automobile Manufacturers of SA (NAAMSA)
National Regulator of Compulsory Specifications (NRCS)
Pro Scripto Document Examination CC - Benefits directly from microdotting requirement?
Recoveri Tag What's Yours (Pty)Ltd - Benefits directly from microdotting
South African Police Service
Tasima (Pty)Ltd
The Motor Vehicle Security Association of South Africa (VESA) - Benefits directly from microdotting requirement?
Veridot (Pty)Ltd - Benefits directly from microdotting requirement?

I welcome any input from these organisations to present their bona fides to prove that they do not have a potential financial benefit from the introduction of this SANS standard.