Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: you gotta get microdotted!!!  (Read 3968 times)

Offline TeeJay

Re: you gotta get microdotted!!!
« Reply #60 on: December 21, 2012, 10:56:59 am »
What's the purpose?......lets say they steal your microdotted car....then what? How does it help - they steal your car, it goes to a place where they break it up for spares, the put some of your car's spares in another car (which was also microdotted - so now presumably the one car has different microdots (possibly from various vehicles), maybe the police find your stripped down vehicle....then what....how does it help? Thieves don't care if your car is microdotted or not - if they want it they will take it.
Eat life!

Offline wayneh

• Bike: BSA (all models)
    • South Africa's dual-sport motorcycle rally
« Reply #61 on: December 21, 2012, 11:00:43 am »
It's simply just passing the 'attempted fix' onto someone else plate.

Find the means to stop corruption within the Traffic Department (RE-registration) and Border Control. It amazes me how quickly the discussion changes topic when it comes to corruption in South Africa. Are we being programmed to accept this common activity?

I suggest dramatically increased fines and jail time, administrated by an independent judicial system (free from state manipulation). Surely we pay enough taxes for something in return?

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #62 on: December 21, 2012, 12:38:44 pm »
Another thought:

Imagine in a few years all vehicles have been microdotted - where do they end up when old? Or better, after the stolen vehicle is recovered with multiple different microdots on - what happens to it? Does it go back to the owner, if so , which piece. And if owner is insurance company, what then? Same with written off vehicles, what happens to them?

eventually, they all become second hand and, to be sold in pieces in a breakers yard.

What if I cross the border with a car with 2, or more, different sets of dots on it or if our wonderboys pull me over and check it out? What if I've bought a second hand car with a stolen door handle? Do I go to prison? Does my car get impounded? Or do they just arrest the handle?

Why are we the first to legislate this? Are we so clever or have the rest of the world looked a bit further ahead and realised it's not worth it?

I am led to believe that 80-90% of our police are extremely bright and non-corrupt but it has always made me wonder why I have only ever had dealings with the other 10%.
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline ktmmer

« Reply #63 on: December 21, 2012, 12:51:20 pm »
The SAP cannot even return the recovered stolen vehicles, to their rightfull owners how will this microdotting make any difference, other than to the pockets of those benefitting from it.

Offline Fudmucker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R80GS
  • Aka "Wrinkled Rocker" in a past life
« Reply #64 on: December 21, 2012, 02:15:36 pm »
Only 31 members commented on this thread out of 12274 members. Would think that this issue is more controversial than this. Would like to have some more input.

MODS: Please make this a sticky thread with a poll for Dogs to respond...?
AIRHEADS ARE AN ADMIRABLE ADDICTION !
Life is far too short to be taken too seriously.
I am far too short to be taken too seriously.

Offline Inprogress

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Life's to short to be an adult!
    • Umfanjana Films
« Reply #65 on: December 21, 2012, 02:46:27 pm »
Only 31 members commented on this thread out of 12274 members. Would think that this issue is more controversial than this. Would like to have some more input.

And that is your measure? Likely about 75% of the members on this thread aren't classified as "Active". They pop in every now and then to ask a question about their bike; some joined cause a friend joined and that is as far as it went; some join cause they wanted to buy a bike (or sell a bike), asked some questions, got some answers, and pretty much that is were it was left.

Best of all, most people probably don't even know about this microdotting yet, which is VERY concerning considering the "benefits" you propose it supposedly offers. One would assume, if such a revolutionary standard is the first to be done in the world, especially were road users must pay for it by law, it would be pasted all over the mediums of communication. But now, just like E-Tolling, you hope to slide it under the table and surprise everyone!   >:(  Pay up for we don't want to tackle the real problems....or go to jail.

That mere action suggests that this whole microdotting is another gravy train that will fail just like RICA which is a fart in the wind, another step to go through that is completely meaningless and falls FAR short of what it set out to do, that at least for now, costs us nothing. Some bright ideas to make money in this country  :-\
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 02:48:47 pm by Inprogress »
If an idle mind is the devil's workshop, then a busy mind is God's canvas

Offline ZAR

• Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
« Reply #66 on: December 21, 2012, 03:17:33 pm »

This will screw the legal secondhand car part  businesses.   :patch: 
When injustice becomes law, Rebellion becomes duty!

A dubious plan decisively executed is more likely to succeed than a very good plan tentatively executed.

To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary.  To one without faith, no explanation is possible.               - Thomas Aquinas (1225 1274) -  2013 -  Suzuki DL650 2007; 2012-2013 Suzuki DL1000 2009 Crashed; 2009-2012 Suzuki DL650 2006 Sold; 2009-2012 PGO G-MAX 125cc 2009 Sold; 1990-1990 Suzuki GSX750 1982 Sold; 1988-1991 Suzuki RG50F

Offline Inprogress

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Life's to short to be an adult!
    • Umfanjana Films
« Reply #67 on: December 21, 2012, 03:20:35 pm »

This will screw the legal secondhand car part  businesses.   :patch: 

Yeah. How does it work now that you buy a front fender, gearbox and waterpump at the scrapyard? Do I have to get a certificate with each part from the three cars I salvaged them from? Or I buy those parts over "Tandvleisboom" from a guy who crashed his car. Must I pay for a certificate for each part I buy from him especially if I want to sell those parts?
If an idle mind is the devil's workshop, then a busy mind is God's canvas

Online eberhard

• Bike: Moto Guzzi (all models)
  • Time takes a cigarette...
« Reply #68 on: December 21, 2012, 03:21:04 pm »
Is microdotting only a money making scheme? Security (like in protecting your person and property) is not a priority for the government. Anyone who believes that the government has your security at heart, is a fool. Security in SA is what you make of it. How much you are prepared to invest. Not your friendly policeman coming to your assistance. In how many breakins do the robbers know exactly where your guns are? Got the info from your friendly policeman. E.g. those rhinos that got killed days after the farmer filed his application to move them. Before that the government did not know about their existence. Two points here: (1) security is your, and only your concern; (2) in whose hands will possible information end up. As correctly pointed out above, how can microdotting curb car theft? It is tantamount to the government saying that burglar doors are compulsory, as it will prevent house robberies. Again, the government cares a sh#t. It is your decision. Also pointed out above, the AA was not approached for input, neither the general public. It appears to have been a private, in house decision, as said earlier, to MAKE MONEY!!! (and to make more criminals from innocent, law abiding, over taxed citizens)
eberhard
Agostini 1000
R90S
R80/7
R75/5 Big Boy 150 Vuka 110

Offline Arno Roux

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Viljoenskroon
« Reply #69 on: December 21, 2012, 03:40:49 pm »
EK hoor alles wat julle se en alles wat julle redineer.

Wat ek wil weet.

1) Hoe lyk die goed??
2) Hoe lyk dit as dit op n bike gesit is??
3) As die goed 1mm in deursnee is en jy moet 3000 op n bike sit. Moenie vi my se hulle gaan dit net mooi opsit op die plekke wat bo genoem is nie.
4) Hoe word dit opgesit? met spraygun of verf kwas ja. Waar is ek as hulle die kak op my bike sit.
5) Dink nou vir jouself, Iemand soos Hans Coertze, Hy is een van die manne wat met die oudste fietse die DJ Run doen. Hy doen dit weer die jaar met n 1911 Humber en sy Pel met n 1909 Humber. Daai fietse is oor die R2 Miljoen werd. ek vat myself, Ek is besig met my Dream en dan gaan ek die DKW tackle. as hulle die verf op#$% dan wat dan.
6) die dots is 1mm in deursnee, DWS 54x54 mm gaan die dots wees en die Shite wat saam opgesit word om dit te laat plak maak dit dan hoeveel

Nee ek weet darm nie, Klink vir my of iemand ook lekker geld maak met die kak, net soos die Vuurwapen lisensies
You live only once. Live it on the back of a GS with your BOETA next to you on his GS

Offline Dogboxelectric

• Bike: Honda XR650L
  • SANI- So not done with Lesotho
« Reply #70 on: December 21, 2012, 03:54:48 pm »
It looks like fly shit. If it is applied by the supplying company as with cars they have specific places where they put it. The police(the awake ones) know where to look for microdots. They have a serial number printed on them, when you purchase the microdot that serial number is then assigned to you on a database, the police have access to the database when they recover a vehicle the check the pre agreed application sites with a UV lamp, when and if they find them they have either a USB scanner or microscope type thingy. Ghey then crossreference the serial number on the dot with the database and Viola, or thats supposed to be how it works.
Mesmerising stuff?!?
Honda XR650L 2011
Kawasaki Versys 650 2014

Offline Dogboxelectric

• Bike: Honda XR650L
  • SANI- So not done with Lesotho
« Reply #71 on: December 21, 2012, 03:56:24 pm »
Maybe i should have read all the posts.
Mesmerising stuff?!?
Honda XR650L 2011
Kawasaki Versys 650 2014

Offline lowflya

« Reply #72 on: December 21, 2012, 04:46:38 pm »
Oh ! so all the 4x4 and suv's being stolen are crossing the borders at the "Border Posts" !!! I don't think so, dots won't stop a thing when your vehicle gets taken across any one of many "Informal" crossing points !!!

Offline Arno Roux

• Viljoenskroon
« Reply #73 on: December 21, 2012, 05:45:44 pm »
7 )  Ok wat gebeur as jy die fiets repaint.

Die poepelle gaan dit seker iewers wet maak. hulle vra hier by ons R500 so dws ek het 9 goed wat nommerplate op het. Dus gaan dit my R4500 kos. Se moer man
You live only once. Live it on the back of a GS with your BOETA next to you on his GS

Offline Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #74 on: December 21, 2012, 08:41:42 pm »
These ostriches are farting against thunder - always been like that - always will be - bonehead mentality!
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Online Bill the Bong

• CRF450X for the win
  • Bike: Cagiva Elefant 900
« Reply #75 on: December 21, 2012, 09:50:24 pm »
What frightens me is that the insurance companies will make this compulsory even though it may not be a legal requirement.  Same as the tracker shit I used to have to fit on my bikes.  Suddenly it stops being a requirement but I had to buy 2 @ R450 and pay R160 p/m for 2 bikes for 3 years. 

Vultures

Offline knightrat

• Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #76 on: December 21, 2012, 10:19:10 pm »
Wonder if the factory fitted microdots on the new BMW's are accepted locally??

When I bought my bakkie last year I was told that certain vehicles back then were compulsory? My insurance company didn't care.. its that window etching business all over again? it will help with the identification of the rightful owner should the vehicle be recovered, but its certainly not going to help stop the theft? As it is the cops don't pull over and look at a nice easy to read vin plate, what's going to make them try read tiny microdots?

as said earlier, nice idea, kuk method of implementation!

Offline Oshkosh

« Reply #77 on: December 22, 2012, 06:09:03 am »
What's the purpose?......lets say they steal your microdotted car....then what? How does it help - they steal your car, it goes to a place where they break it up for spares, the put some of your car's spares in another car (which was also microdotted - so now presumably the one car has different microdots (possibly from various vehicles), maybe the police find your stripped down vehicle....then what....how does it help? Thieves don't care if your car is microdotted or not - if they want it they will take it.

My thoughts exactly they not going to read the fine printed sticker stuck on your windscreen his there to steal it come hell or high water.
2017 R1200RS SPORT F#ck Me what an Animal!
2010 R1200GS ADV "The Comfy Chair with GRUNT"(SOLD)
2012 R1200RT "The Wife's Little Tourer"

Offline Arno Roux

• Viljoenskroon
« Reply #78 on: December 22, 2012, 06:21:15 am »

My thoughts exactly they not going to read the fine printed sticker stuck on your windscreen his there to steal it come hell or high water.

Nee julle verstaan verkeerd. Daar is net een of twee diewe en 3000 of 10 000 micro dots. Die microdots gaan die diewe hard moer :pot:

Offline Mad Matt

• Bike: Yamaha Super Tenere
« Reply #79 on: December 22, 2012, 09:15:33 am »
Had to have my new Dirt Bike done, dont know how they gonna make this work!! The idea is good but logic hasnt been brought into the equation, for starters our civil servants are not committed enough or at all!!! There is definately gonna be a problem with 2nd hand parts....are we gonna have to register each part that is bought with other dots on?? If the bike gets stollen are we gonna get a call from SAPS - ehhh Mr Piet Pompies wi hav rekavad yo stolan vihighkle radiator kap..... ! Talk about rubbing more salt into the wound!
Whats stopping the scabs from aquiring a UV light and then removing the dots???? The high pressure cleaner removed a lot of them off my scoot! The solvents you can buy today can remove most things! maybe we should use them to remove the wankers that made this compulsory!!!
XT1200Z
CBR1000RR
XR650R
KTM300XC-w
CRF230F XR200R DT175E XL125 HTM250 Fong Kong Special   If you feel you're in control, you're riding too slow!