Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: you gotta get microdotted!!!  (Read 3966 times)

Offline KtmMick

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
Re: you gotta get microdotted!!!
« Reply #80 on: December 23, 2012, 02:21:51 pm »
I think that the statement made that South Africa is the only one who has a "STANDARD" should be verified.
Microdots is old technology and in a Country with so much corruption is doomed to failure. What good is it having it on new vehicles? They will just steal and hijack the ones without it! As for Border control..........well if they can get stuff out now without it being discovered a few dots is not going to help.
On a positive note if your vehicle is dotted and they catch criminals with it in their possession in theory they should be able to link all the crimes to that person or persons.
Zero help when the inefficient Police lose the dockets or the Public Prosecutor throws the case out.
It is like gun laws.......they don't work............the criminals don't abide by the law same thing here.

Offline Arno Roux

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Viljoenskroon
« Reply #81 on: December 23, 2012, 03:36:11 pm »
:useless:
You live only once. Live it on the back of a GS with your BOETA next to you on his GS

Offline Inprogress

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
  • Life's to short to be an adult!
    • Umfanjana Films
« Reply #82 on: January 07, 2013, 09:23:45 pm »
Let's start this up again, it is 2013 and we still don't know. Jannie46...waar is jy?
If an idle mind is the devil's workshop, then a busy mind is God's canvas

Offline Jannie46

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #83 on: January 14, 2013, 11:00:58 am »
If you need a collector's bike our any bike for that matter, microdotted, you can get it custom done by Recoveri. I spoke to Phillip Opperman and he said that they have purpose trained fitters who use customized application kits to mark bikes. Philip can be contacted 011-453 0868.

Offline Inprogress

• Umfanjana Films
« Reply #84 on: January 14, 2013, 03:13:26 pm »
We have moved on a bit about what to do about microdotting vintage cars/bikes/etc. What really irks me is that this mircodotting has been passed as law and yet the public, majority of which have no clue about it, have not been involved or notified. I have not seen this on the news, nor heard it on the radio, no ads on tv or radio or even the internet.

Please provide the procedures and parties involved when it came to passing of this law onto the public which involves the public forking out the money for a failed system. Where was meeting held? Who was approached in government about this system? When was public, not business, involvement requested (if ever) before the implementation and passing as law? Which case studies have been put forth to indicate that microdotting is such an advanced ant-theft system that it must be forced onto the general public and not given as an additional choice like for example, car alarm, tracking systems and steering locks?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 03:15:12 pm by Inprogress »

Rooivark

« Reply #85 on: January 14, 2013, 03:54:13 pm »
Jannie46
Ek het n voorstel:Vat jy en jou maatjies julle mikrodotjies en druk dit in julle g@tte !

Offline RobC

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #86 on: January 14, 2013, 03:59:56 pm »
That is expensive - perhaps the public should go beserk and agree to only pay R500!  Just like e-tolling!  We will have to be a lot more militant in South Africa in the future.  We are not cash cows!

Wackhead
This is no fool proof idea either... another government sanctioned scam like E-tol. :patch:

Offline Jannie46

« Reply #87 on: January 14, 2013, 04:11:23 pm »
Rooivark, moet my nie kruisig vir n stelsel waarin ek n bydrae gelewe het van n forensiese oogpunt af nie. Die wetgewing en implimentering het "f&k%l met my te doen gehad nie, net so min as die idiee van mikroskyfies op voertuie en dies meer.

Do not shoot the messenger. The only thing I have been doing to date is to give positive input wherever I can.

Jusitifiably, people have a right to opinions and viewpoints, but then direct it at the right people.

I am still prepared to assist where I can, but will not entertain any abuse. Any constructive criticism will be welcomed.

NUF SAID!

Offline Jannie46

« Reply #88 on: January 14, 2013, 04:14:51 pm »
O yes. Direct your anger and abuse to towards the Department of Transport, Business Against Crime, Vesa and the South African Police Service.

Offline Koet

• T-Rex 700N "The Beast"!
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Splash!
« Reply #89 on: January 14, 2013, 04:16:45 pm »
Rooivark, moet my nie kruisig vir n stelsel waarin ek n bydrae gelewe het van n forensiese oogpunt af nie. Die wetgewing en implimentering het "f&k%l met my te doen gehad nie, net so min as die idiee van mikroskyfies op voertuie en dies meer.

Do not shoot the messenger. The only thing I have been doing to date is to give positive input wherever I can.

Jusitifiably, people have a right to opinions and viewpoints, but then direct it at the right people.

I am still prepared to assist where I can, but will not entertain any abuse. Any constructive criticism will be welcomed.

NUF SAID!

Agree with your post Jannie.  I'm not happy about microdotting being forced upon us at all, especially as I don't see how it will curb theft in any way.  But attacking Jannie won't help at all.  He's been very happy to take constructive comments, even when they are complaints.
Only Bikers understand why dogs love to stick their heads out car windows.

Offline Inprogress

• Umfanjana Films
« Reply #90 on: January 14, 2013, 04:50:38 pm »
O yes. Direct your anger and abuse to towards the Department of Transport, Business Against Crime, Vesa and the South African Police Service.

Hi Jannie. Do you have any specific people we can contact regarding this? I am sure there must have been champions who took the proposal forward, ran with it and had it implemented.

Online Cracker

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 950 Adventure S
  • Top Biscuit!
« Reply #91 on: January 14, 2013, 06:36:58 pm »
Jannie, besides reading it, what are you going to do with the constructive criticism?
Don't let fear hold you back ..... take it with you!

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #92 on: January 14, 2013, 07:09:13 pm »
I'm told only vehicles which get placed on the NATIS system after September 2012 have to be microdotted, before that it is your choice.
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline Arno Roux

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • Viljoenskroon
« Reply #93 on: January 14, 2013, 09:50:32 pm »
Nee Kurt, As jy na Sept 2012 Polisie Clearence op n voertuig moet kry moet jy dit laat Microdot voordat die polisie vir jou klaring sal gee
You live only once. Live it on the back of a GS with your BOETA next to you on his GS

Offline Adventurer

• Deleted Users
  • Bachelor Dog
« Reply #94 on: January 14, 2013, 09:52:52 pm »
Nee Kurt, As jy na Sept 2012 Polisie Clearence op n voertuig moet kry moet jy dit laat Microdot voordat die polisie vir jou klaring sal gee

I'm sure, but if you need police clearance I think that means being re-registered on the Natis system?
If you can keep your head in the midst of all this confusion, you don't understand the situation!

Offline Jannie46

« Reply #95 on: January 14, 2013, 10:23:04 pm »
Inprogress, you can contact Fouche Burgers at Business Against Crime or Dave Menday of Datadot.

Cracker, I am still a member of the Technical Committee, so much of what have been discussed here would probably be reviewed at the committee at our next meeting. I am also in contact with the Microdot Suppliers and one of the police officers on the ground responsible for the microdot initiative with whom I share information from time to time.

Koet, there is sufficient research available which has been done in some European countries, where microdots have been applied on selected brands and where vehicle theft of these specific types of vehicles have decreased by more than 40%. Interestingly enough, microdots are not even legislated or regulated in these countries, just think of the impact it will have when it becomes compulsory. I do understand that there is already international interest in our approach here.

KtmMick, yes the technology might be old in relative terms, but maybe you should brush up on the latest developments. How does writing of 2 microns in size on a dot of 0.5mm x 0.5mm sounds, and then also with holographic properties? South Africa is without argument the first country in the world who has developed a Standard for the industry and who at this moment is putting together a Regulatory body for the industry. Yes, I do agree that there are teething problems and that it is far from successful, but, no use sitting with our arms folded and shift reponsibility around.

Wackhead agreed, that is one of the issues that will become a hot topic with the Regulating body. Like with all new industries, there will always be opportunists around abusing the system for a while.

Hope the answers are satisfactory for the moment.

Offline Inprogress

• Umfanjana Films
« Reply #96 on: January 14, 2013, 11:18:13 pm »
Inprogress, you can contact Fouche Burgers at Business Against Crime or Dave Menday of Datadot.

Dankie Jannie.  :thumleft: Wie is die staats beampte wat dit bevorder? Of, wie is die enkel persoon in die staat wat genader was en die proses mee bevorder is? Kan jy uitvind asseblief?

Offline Jannie46

« Reply #97 on: January 15, 2013, 07:43:51 am »
Inprogress, kan jy jou navraag opneem met Fouche Burgers asseblief. Navrae van hierdie aard behoort aan hom gerig te word. Ek backtrack nie maar dit is buite my veld van betrokkendheid.

Rooivark

« Reply #98 on: January 15, 2013, 08:06:44 am »
Follow the money.

Offline Inprogress

• Umfanjana Films
« Reply #99 on: January 15, 2013, 11:14:40 am »
Inprogress, kan jy jou navraag opneem met Fouche Burgers asseblief. Navrae van hierdie aard behoort aan hom gerig te word. Ek backtrack nie maar dit is buite my veld van betrokkendheid.

Cool beans. Dankie, ek sal bietjie opvolg.