Diesel and petrol dont mix well.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ama ride ride

Grey Hound
Reaction score
friends

I had been down in the cape for a holiday with my two sons.

On way back I fulled up at the Engen just next to the N1 on the south side of town. I saw the the fuel foamed more than usually and asked the petrol attendant about this. He just sez "die petrol maak maar so" And like an idiot I left it there.

Problems started right away. No power. Slightly rough idle. As I had to open the trottle more to stay at 120km/h  my bike started to heat up. (not overheating) Stopped and checked a few things. Checked airfilter for blocking etc. All jolly. Sms adventurer. Dirty fuel he said.

Bike started with no problems but still not more power than a 650. Decide to keep an eye on things and rode for bloem at 100km/h. Arriving there and Renoster took me to BMW Bloem (speedbike). Excelent service there.

End of story diesel in fuel.  :mad:

Phoned the Engen at Colesberg. Yes they know of the problem and shut down the pumps. They are investigating and will pay back my costs.

The knock sensors on the BM protected the engine well and no damage there.

Thinking back I remember seeing two cars just a km from the Engen garage. Smoke coming from the zorst while the woner peeking under the bonnet...

Lessons learned.
1.) If the fuel does not smell or look right. Stop pumping and check.
2.) Always ask for a cash slip when buying fuel.