Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: "Goose & Grizz's Punt-Innie-Wind Tour" - France & Belgium........  (Read 8404 times)

Offline Goose

• NAPIER Country life is great!
  • Shop Mods
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
"Goose & Grizz's Punt-Innie-Wind Tour" - France & Belgium........
« on: September 08, 2012, 08:04:16 pm »
France & D-Day......... let's check out what the fuss is all about!   :mwink:

Grizz's impending Memorial tour to South Africa (http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=106063.0) had us chatting about fitting 2-way radios on the bikes in SA to allow comms between their bikes.

Now any decent, intelligent biker knows that ANY excuse is a good excuse for a ride...... so a ride around the block/area is definitely NOT good enough if you have access to some of the best biking roads in Europe for a mere £16.00 ticket price away. P&O Ferry's have a great 2 hour service from Dover to Calais at 6am .....  which allows a full day's travelling on French soil!

Grizz managed to get hold of a Kenwood 2-way radio and early this morning he arrived at our place to start the installation.

We also needed to visit Halfords for some goodies to comply with the new French touring laws....... a spare set of Bulbs & 2 'orrible Straws that one has to blow into to prove to the Gendarmes that we can still ride a bike....

..... just love the Wilddog Paws!!!   :thumleft:

Remember to look out for the "Goose" and "Grizz" stickers on our tour...... with special guest and a "Cling-on" (Morgie's Wilddog's brother)

(Nicola - Grizz's better half had these specially printed for him.... cute... she's also the one sending him to Africa - so she can have a break!)

"Cling-On" the Wilddog groupie!  :mwink:

I must say that it's an absolute pleasure spending time with another dude that can "Maak-'n-plan" ........   as we had 1 x Autocom system + 1 x Kenwood, 2 x Other radio's and a kak-huis full of cables.....!  :mwink:

Well Autocom installed - we found that there was no way we could get the two smaller radios working - the Kenwood was ok - but powered off the Autocom - however no PTT was in the bag, so out came a set of Sharman headphones......

A quick installation of the Headset and we were ready to connect the radio.... or so we thought  :eek7:
Two small 1,5mm screws were needed to allow the Kenwood to be connected via cables to the Autocom... but we had none - so off to Maplin and their wonderfully skilled Electronic experts to assist!

:dousing: :dousing:

Hier kom kark.

I watched Grizz's stare and if he could have BLIKSEM'd the salesman - he would have..............  the DUDE insited on ïnserting" the screw himself and after 2 turns both of us could see the thread was wrong into the aluminium housing. Before either of us could blurt out a word... the bliksem forced the screwdriver and snapped the head of the screw off............   :o Dom twatwaffle (sorry hentie)

Fortunately.........  I'm used to working on radio equipment.. so with the salesman realising he was in deep kark......... (he would potentially be liable to replace a 70 quid radio) we were given carte blanche to open and use ANY of the tools and equipment in the store to rectify the situation!

So on the Maplin counter top.........  we did a strip & repair........... but not just ANY repair... (as the old screw was totally jammed) we promptly proceeded to strip the unit, drill a new hole (check the size of the hand-drill)

..... the drill-bit being so thin & flimsy - required Grizz to stabilise it with his farmer-brown "vingers" .....

and as a first ever.... used a nifty miniature Tap & Die set to tap a new thread for our fastening screw!

Finally we were given the screws by the salesman after being more than grateful that we were not holding him liable for the stuffed screw.
Amazingly he commented on how he found it fascinating to watch us with the inhouse repair as he'd not realised what some of the tools we used were for..... :patch: - he works there... but no clue!

The Autocom connector had rust and some broken wires inside the power lead sheath... causing intermittent functionality that really screw'd us around.... but nothing a soldering iron would not sort out!

Eventually a whole rewire of the cable system was required to get it working........... using old dvd power lead (recycling's big here you know!)

EUREKA!!!!  Comms finally working.. a quick test and a blast up to the M25 was needed to make sure it works. (another excuse for a spin on the boney  :mwink:)

Interestingly we had 9/10 reception at speeds approaching  "license threatening"  with a distance of close on a mile (1.5km) and no signs of any break-up at all.
Needless to say - we are really chuffed with the performance and this adds a new dimension to riding with your mate!

SUNSHINE!!!!!!!!!!!  Check the LED Lights that we got on the group-buy!! Seriously NICE!!!

damn.......... we have fork'd off the main route/reason for this report........... have to concentrate.... erm.... waar de donner was ek nou weer??   :sip:

P & O Ferries were contacted and our tickets booked for the Sailing on Tuesday morning at 06:00 ............  ONLY  3 more sleepies.........   :peepwall: :peepwall:

So who's coming with us.........  :mwink:

« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 09:04:05 am by Goose »
"Life is a Waste of Time..... Time is a Waste of Life........ Get Wasted all the Time and have the Time of your Life"  ‹(•¿•)›

Offline Plothond

• Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • I was powerslide pozer KING & TV personality
Re: "Goose & Grizz's Punt-Innie-Wind Tour" - France, D-Day and Alizee........
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 09:09:54 pm »
Bliksim - gotto find that Alizee thread  :drif: :drif: :drif:
I used to be indecisive, but I'm not so sure anymore

The butcher backed into the meat grinder and got a little behind in his work

Offline bungycool

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 09:42:03 pm »
hmm seriously you guys couldn't have plotted it better for not having a katoom along with you! the wife is off to visit friend in germany this week so am juggling kiddy watch and home renovation and work this week. and lord knows my new heidenau needs a spanking!
If your'e going to do something do it with conviction!

Online Pumbaa

• Africa Cycle Tours
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 06:04:16 am »
hmm seriously you guys couldn't have plotted it better for not having a katoom along with you! the wife is off to visit friend in germany this week so am juggling kiddy watch and home renovation and work this week. and lord knows my new heidenau needs a spanking!

Sorry to hijack a bit here, but BC, how do you find the Heidi in the wet UK weather?  Which ones do you have on yours.  I'll need to replace my scorps when I get back, and not sure what to get.

Hijack over

I must say, it is so nice to just pop over to the continent for a (long) weekend.

Goose, you have to admire the skills of Maplin staff.  About as much enthusiam as Footlocker probably.
Africa Cycle Tours - Offering supported bicycle tours

Offline bungycool

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 09:45:18 am »
Heidi k60. Just scrubbing it in will let you know in a week. That is if I get a chance to ride it in the wet  :imaposer:

Offline Goose

• NAPIER Country life is great!
  • Shop Mods
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 09:57:09 am »
Heidi k60. Just scrubbing it in will let you know in a week. That is if I get a chance to ride it in the wet  :imaposer:

stuff off... don't go wishing for more rain blikskottel!
"Life is a Waste of Time..... Time is a Waste of Life........ Get Wasted all the Time and have the Time of your Life"  ‹(•¿•)›

Online grizz

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • ROCHERSTER, KENT
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 01:28:42 pm »
TWO MORE SLEEPIES......

It was great spending the day over at Goose's pozzie yesterday creating havoc and then watching the guys amazing skill set..... I would never have had the balls to strip down to board level and chassis a two way radio. Then fix it.

I TAKE MY HAT OFF TO YOU GOOSE. 

Looking forward to a nice BRAAI tomorrow evening and a couple of pear ciders.

We went to our usual Sunday bootfair today and got hand cut steaks 35mm thick. Pork ribs and lamb chops. Also got sweet Thai chilli sauce chicken strips and some fresh mieles to toss on the fire. If we get to it maybe some toasties too.

I managed to pick up a Hein Gericke tankbag for £2 at the bootfair. This is to use on Mavericks bike next year.

Cant wait to go riding on the wrong side of the road.

Searching for Alizeeeeeee.....   :biggrin:

NEVER EVER UNDERESTIMATE THE STUPIDITY OF OTHERS....

I LIVE IN ROCHESTER, KENT, UK.

Online grizz

• ROCHERSTER, KENT
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2012, 02:07:38 pm »
Hein Gericke Tankbag for the trip next year n Mavericks GS @ £2.00 GOTTA BE A BARGAIN.

Offline Grrrr....

• ...eats seeds as a pastime activity.
  • Forum Whore
  • Wanneer vat ons vog?
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2012, 02:09:55 pm »
Ok, out with it.

Who is this?

And post more pic's of her behind.

Online grizz

• ROCHERSTER, KENT
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2012, 03:38:53 pm »
Ok, out with it.

Who is this?

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrizzz en GRRRRRR  have a lot in common.

This is apparently rightfully so, the wet dream of many members on this board  :lol8: :lol8: :lol8: :lol8:

She is Alizee and if you check her out on Youtube annd Google images, the answer will become apparent.

Verder kan ek nie help nie, dit is die GANS man se gunstelling tydverdryf en hy het al haar musiek op sy iPod speler.

Offline Plothond

• Bike: KTM 1090 Adventure R
  • I was powerslide pozer KING & TV personality
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2012, 10:35:59 pm »
Ok, out with it.
 :drif: :drif: :drif:
Who is this?

Just search the forum
Whole thread about her  :drif: :drif: :drif:

Just keep a spare keyboard handy. The one you normally use tends to get a bit. ............... a. .... sticky
I used to be indecisive, but I'm not so sure anymore

The butcher backed into the meat grinder and got a little behind in his work

Offline bungycool

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2012, 12:08:09 am »

ag sorry man, nah seriously you all will be ok remember im living behind the haggis curtain where mist and midgies reign!

Online grizz

• ROCHERSTER, KENT
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2012, 11:21:41 am »

ag sorry man, nah seriously you all will be ok remember im living behind the haggis curtain where mist and midgies reign!

Dont worrt BC, the weather never stopped me doing most things.

Yesterday I bought a half a cow, a pig, some chickens and wors from this guy at the bootfair, have done so for years.

This is a whole refrigerated butchers lorry.....

The guys have a set up where you stand out front, he has a scale and then tosses whatever you ask for in multiples of £5 into the scale for you..... often they will add a kilo of bacon or a kilo of pork sausages, a chicken or whatever on top to sweeten the deal.

Yesterday I bought some meat for us to Braai tonight..... loooking forward to a couple of Pear Ciders (Stella Artois) with Goose and a lekker kark praat around the fire.

This is the front side of the truck.

Only one more Sleepy  !!!!! THEN   :ricky: :ricky: :ricky:

Nicola was commenting to her friend last night that she is looking forward to sleeping like a Starfish in the bed... owning all four corners while I am not here.

However, I have programmed our 3 cats to join her in bed to save my spot. I have promised them unrestricted access to the catnip bag  :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Online grizz

• ROCHERSTER, KENT
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2012, 11:24:51 am »
OOOOPPPPSSSS.

Nearly forgot (Or did I ??)

Online grizz

• ROCHERSTER, KENT
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2012, 04:26:51 pm »
Right.....

Been to pick up another item of Goose-hunting.

Bought a 12V to 2 x 12V and 2 x USB power outlet for the bike, to charge the backup Satnav in case we need it, and also to charge up our Apple products like mobile phones. £14.99 probably well spent as part of the prep for the ride.

Then stopped at the local GULF Pertol station where the guys still come out and fill your tank with a smile. (99% of UK fuel stations are totally self service) and filled my bike up to the neck..... its about a kilometer from home.

I have all my KARK including  sleeping bag in a pile on the floor, waiting for Goose to get here so we can double check what has been packed.

So, my speedo is now at 20678 miles (guess thats about 33000km)
Will be interesting to see how far we ride this week. Its not a mega miles trip, but we should see some good stuff, and maybe find Alizee for GRRRRRRRR.... !!

Offline Gérrard

• AKA 'jupiter' maar noem my Gerard.
  • Global Moderator
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • WAT KYK JY
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2012, 04:54:30 pm »
Julle moet dit geniet en veilig ry  :thumleft:
...dis nooit te laat om n happy childhood te he nie !

Build a sidecar they said. It will be fun they said. Ja-nee !

Online grizz

• ROCHERSTER, KENT
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2012, 05:13:36 pm »
Julle moet dit geniet en veilig ry  :thumleft:

Thanks Gerard.

Ons sal.

Goose just landed and we are onto our first Stella Artois Pear Cider.

Of course CLING-ON IS HERE TOO.

Offline Maverick

• Slacker Extraordinaire
  • Bike: BMW R100GS / Kalahari
  • Some multi-task. I multi-slack.
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2012, 05:21:53 pm »
Ek kan jou nie sé hoeveel maal het ek al amper Maplin staff gebliksem nie, dit is nou so kort trappie voor Halfords staff. Hulle is nie clueless nie want dan is jy tenminste iets, hulle is so dom soos grond  ::)

Geniet julle trip outjies, wens ek kon saam wegslip vir so paar dae. Sou kon help met die Frans, 007 het my laas jaar leer hoe om die aksent te praat al is dit nog steeds in Afrikaans  :biggrin:
Maverick Disclaimer: This thread is intended for the use of the individual(s) named above and may contain information that is confidential privileged or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense of humor or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this thread is not authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating social faux pas.

Online grizz

• ROCHERSTER, KENT
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2012, 10:15:07 pm »
Last few pics.....

Before we get up at 03.50 to get to Dover ferry port for our Ferry.

Before we got the fire going, Peter and I got our bikes sorted, did a final comms check and then sent a pic to my brother who responded with a simple word of envy  "SNOT !!! " 
In our family, Jy eet snot is the extreme form of envy.

Peter was great company, and his incessant excitement and chatter about this trip was really infectious ...... I am soooo looking forward to the trip.

Finally ended up with a medium stealk pork ribs, Bratwurst, lamb chops and braai mielies.

Well, last sleepie for us, and all I can hope for is a sighting of Alizee.

Offline bungycool

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2012, 09:51:55 pm »
hope you guys are riding safely and dry - its been summer showers up here in soggy snotland.... SNOT