21 days through BotsNamZamZim two up May 2011

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayne Duck

Race Dog
Reaction score
No fixed address...Travelling Southern Africa in a
21 days through Botswana, Namibia, Zambia and Zimbabwe – unassisted, two up on a KTM 990R (about 70% tar / 30% dirt)

This trip we did in May 2011, before I joined this forum...a shorter version did appear in Enduro World but with much less pictures.

We (Ronelle and myself) started with the thought of riding up to Kariba and sailing on the ferry...but, after the planning started in earnest (on Mapsource and the internet) in November 2010, we had soon included not only the Kariba ferry, but all the countries mentioned above! By January 2011 we had everything booked and, by April, all the necessary paperwork, travel insurance, vaccinations and, of course, the bike serviced.

Day one, 324 km’s (Sun City, Ellisras, Big Fig Inn):

This was an easy run from home to the Botswana border at Martin’s Drift. We left after lunch and reached the Big Fig Inn, 3 km’s from the Martin’s Drift, at 4.30pm.

All packed and ready to leave home
afecf389.jpg

Day two, 552 km’s (Martin’s Drift, Palapye, Lethlakane):

We got up early to clear the SA and Botswana border formalities and push on to Palapye for a mid-morning “bacon-less” breakfast at Wimpy (no pork due to foot and mouth outbreak). From Palapye we headed out to Serowe and arrived at the Mikelele Motel in Lethlakane before midday. After removing the panniers we rode off in the direction of Kubu Island, the intention being to try see a bit of the Makgadikgadi Pans. However, in the hot afternoon sun the thick sand was fluffy and difficult two up…both the bike and I were overheating! We decided to follow the dirt road to Masu in a circular route back to Lethlakane (which we re-named Lekker-lanie while “re-hydrating” ourselves at the bar!)

31fb1215.jpg

a4365ccf.jpg

b4acd6a1.jpg

243ac4e4.jpg

ac8330fe.jpg

ce7b6173.jpg

Days three to six, 373 km’s (Lethlakane, Rakops, Maun and Okavango Delta):

This route skirts around the Makgadikgadi National Park. We were amazed at the thousands of livestock walking freely across the huge open “vlakte”, and of course across the road! Arriving in Maun we rode straight to the Old Bridge Backpackers, where we were to spend the night (and leave the bike) before leaving on a 3 day Inner Delta Safari (organised by Old Bridge Backpackers).
In the morning we boarded a “tinny” (aluminium hull speed boat) and threaded our way through the delta’s thousands of channels for four and a half hours until we reached Chief’s Island, deep in the Okavango Delta’s Moremi National Park. Here we set up tents to camp for two nights. During the days we did bush walks and a mokoro trip, seeing a lot of game. A highlight was coming across 3 lion feeding on a warthog...we got to about 40 meters away before they noticed us and ran away, taking the carcass with them. We were very relieved (understatement of the year!) that they ran away because our guide (a chap from the local village just outside the park) was “armed” only with an old pair of binoculars!

4a2402e4.jpg

88cd5c1a.jpg

View from tent at Old Bridge Backpackers
a0ca2424.jpg

f7d0bfa3.jpg

db13e8ad.jpg

4a8d26ac.jpg

Swimming in the delta!
3144dddb.jpg

a4e8537d.jpg

8ed116a6.jpg

971ee3c8.jpg

6b39f500.jpg

0a166334.jpg

49670975.jpg

Relaxing at Old Bridge
273cb4b7.jpg

5f9d7d8c.jpg

Day seven, 439 km’s (Maun, Etsha, Mahango Park, Popa Falls)

All packed and about to leave Maun we had the only “incident” with the bike the whole trip…I turned the key in the ignition and nothing happened, no instrument lights, or the comforting “systems” check or whirr of the fuel pump! In an instant my 30 years of biking experience was forgotten – I immediately thought the worst and set about stripping the tank bag off to check the fuses. All 100%. Next wild thought, the battery must be flat. Nope, the head light and flickers worked. So it must be the fancy-electronic-immobiliser-chip-thingie in the key, I thought! While I was digging in my pockets for the spare Ronelle (with just 3 years biking experience, gained via me!) very tactfully asks “darling, does this bike have a kill switch?” Ok, so now I’m embarrassed  :-[  Duh, bloody kill switch! I gave her a big hug and we were on our way! (I never turn the kill switch off...must have been someone fiddling while it was parked for the three days - that's my story and I'm sticking to it  ;D )

The route up the Okavango panhandle is an easy one and before you know it you’ll be at the Namibian border. From there it’s a short hop through the Mahango National Park to Popa Falls (Rainbow River Lodge) for the night.

a06e4510.jpg

d08ec446.jpg

871ead1d.jpg

95d9bade.jpg

2c3da7cc.jpg

d5394246.jpg

Many foot and mouth spray downs along the way
1adea597.jpg

555e5b26.jpg

Nice cool swim at the end of another hard day in Africa!
90f9ae3e.jpg

Day eight, 453 km’s (Popa Falls, Caprivi Strip, Chobe, Kasane)

Anyone who’s ever ridden the length of the Caprivi Strip will know it’s very long, very straight…and hard on the bum! We were fortunate to see two Cheetah right next to the road, allowing us to stop 50 meters from them for a while before they disappeared into the bush again. Entering Botswana again at Ngomo border we rode through Chobe to Kasane (Mowana Lodge) to overnight.

29d5a3fc.jpg

289afb85.jpg

a68ce160.jpg

ca1992e2.jpg

Entering Chobe
a62d33b5.jpg

103aa039.jpg

This little chap wanted to hitch a ride into Zambia
1fa41756.jpg

Days nine and ten, 95 km’s (Kasane, Kazungula Ferry, Livingstone)

Chaos! That’s all I can say about the Kazungula ferry into Zambia! I wanted to do this for the “real African experience”…and boy, was it an experience! I can now cross that off of my bucket list! From this border (which, miraculously, we cleared in just two hours) we rode to Livingstone to spend two nights at the Royal Livingstone Hotel (yes I know that this is not usual accommodation for adventure riders but after 25 years with Sun International I do get to enjoy the perks!)

The wait for the ferry begins...
7b7ce4e0.jpg

ceb44332.jpg

...and finally on the ferry, squashed in like sardines!
fa0c9f37.jpg

Cleared the border now finally in Zambia. Truckers seem to pile up in these long queues at most borders through Africa, I'm glad I do not have their job.
d19dffdf.jpg

First sight of the falls "smoke" as you ride out of Livingstone
ed8b5189.jpg

2b3713a4.jpg

2d34f76e.jpg

ba484f85.jpg

Next, into Zimbabwe...