Kruger Park Fence Ride with Jimbo - August - Day 1 and 2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Bike
Suzuki DR350
Jimbo: This ride actually started on Saturday 04 Aug 2012 with a “FULL DRESS REHEARSAL” from Fourways to the De Wild area, fully loaded and kitted up.  It was  a shakedown in a sense.  We had a few days to sort any emerging problems prior to departure date proper (Tuesday 07 Aug 2012).  See  HYPERLINK "https://wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=103675.0" wilddog.net.za/forum/index.php?topic=103675.0 

DSC00243Copy.jpg

Leigh's Comments.
I think this was Jim's way of seeing how soft Australia had made me and if i would be able to cope with the sort of riding that lay ahead of me. it seemed pretty easy till i used the old theory "when in doubt power out" and powered out straight into an embankment and hit it hard! The handle bars corked my thigh muscle and I got a bit of whip lash injury to my neck from hitting the bank. This bruise was going to be a good one.

DSC00250Copy.jpg

We stopped at the granite mine - usually where Jimbo and Henrietta go for their champagne run

DSC00268Copy.jpg

Jimbo: DAY 1.  Ride Proper (Tue 07 Aug 2012).  The coldest day of the year.  Reluctantly left Fourways around 09h00 into a very cold outdoors.  The intention was to travel the non-toll roads to Belfast, and then back-roads to Barberton.  The stop/go road works along the way, and unscheduled “Get Warm” stops put us well behind estimate.  This forced us to abandon the Badplass / Bulembu / Komati River loop.  We instead went directly via Bothasnek pass to Barberton.  Wayne at Barberton Chalets had stocked up our chalet with beer and braai stuff. 

Andre's Comments
I’ve always wanted to do this trip and finally everything came together. After completing Jimbo’s “shakedown” without too much trouble the nerves started to leave and the excitement settled in.
Typically, came Tuesday morning and time to leave, things never quite fitted the way planned, so last minute re packing was not the way to start. The trip to Jimbo showed signs of a very cold trip; little did we know what was to come.
Coupled with my poor sense of direction and having to come to know that Jimbo does not stop for much, I pleaded that as I was going to take up “sweeper” position, with Leigh in front and Jimbo taking the lead, they do check their mirrors every now and again.
Somewhere between Bronkhorstspruit and Belfast, I noticed rain clouds shedding their load in the distance. “Surely Jim is going to stop”. I noticed there was nothing that would serve as shelter, not even a tree. I noticed some sunshine peeking out behind the rain and figured Jim is most probably going to gun for that. Anyway, rain was the least of our worries, it started to snow!
Let’s just say it was so cold that when we did stop and I took my gloves off, I thought I had left some of my fingers behind in the gloves. Ventilated MX pants did not help either.
Things warmed up soon after Belfast and the brain started defrosting again, we made it to Barbeton.
We spent the next day riding to the Swaziland border; being coached by Jim on how to better handle tar and gravel twists and turns at higher speed. A beautiful part of the country.

Leigh's Comments.
I haven't travelled highway's in JNB for quite some time, let alone in freezing conditions. it required the utmost of concentration just to keep the break and throttle working, not easy when you can't feel your fingers. Heading up to the Middlebank Plaza we could see rain clouds on the horizon, we were heading straight towards them, only to find out it was snow! I couldn't help but giggle to myself and think "this is ridiculous!" Seriously my old man must be bloody crazy to carry on in this - but we did for a good 100km to the Belfast Wimpy where we were glared at by fellow travelers, i knew what they were thinking and they were right - we were fucking COLD!!!

It improved from Belfast as we continued to the Low Veld, we travelled a gravel road in an attempt to get through a game fence but abandoned the idea and heading the 7km back to the tar road to Barberton.

DSC00290Copy.jpg

DSC00303Copy.jpg

DSC00315Copy.jpg