990/50 vs 12GS in slow technical stuff

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JacoM

Race Dog
WD Supporter
Reaction score
Bike
BMW R1200GS HP2
After this past weekend Advanced Countrytrax course at Klipbokkop I made a few observations and come to the following conclusion. Also note I am a Mechanical Engineer so over analysing stuff comes naturally. ;)
Note: I had a 12GS in the past, extensively tested a 990R and now owns a HP2 and are not sold on one brand. My next touring bike would most probably be a 990.

KTM 990/50
As we all know, the KTM is in a class of its own suspension wise and with the 21' front. 2nd gear and up this bike is a real pleasure in all terrain, including thick sand. Higher speed technical riding is where it is "untouchable" Picking it up though is a real bitch with the high COG - remember it is a myth that the KTM weights less than the 12GS

BUT
The 12GS  is much easier to handle in the slow technical stuff due to the lower COG, torquey engine from idle speed, shorter wheel base + picks up so much easier. ;D Maneuvering the bike in slow conditions are just so easy.

Definition of slow technical:
1-2ND gear over and around obstacles
Making U-turns on steep inclines (and declines) on unstable surfaces
Controlled lifting of the front from idle speed
steep in/declines without wheel spin - due to that amazing T - remember wheel spin reduce control under these conditions
Drifting starting from standstill speed.
General slow speed cornering, etc.

The HP is a nice blend of all above.....
PS. I am recuperating in bed after a knee op so have lots of time to talk s...t to fellow dogs! ;D