Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: gordons bay - rooiels  (Read 1415 times)

Offline LuckyStriker

• Stealthy Camper
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • Bellville Rock City
    • LuckyStriker's Blog
gordons bay - rooiels
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2006, 04:18:17 pm »
Quote from: "Wikipedia"
In South Africa, the Afrikaans term rooinek (meaning "redneck") was derisively applied by Afrikaners to the British soldiers who fought during the Boer Wars, because their skin was sensitive to the harsh African sun. The phrase is still used by Afrikaners to describe English-speaking white people.

Ironically, the term "redneck" is also used by the English to describe very conservative Afrikaners because of that group's historic support of apartheid, a system of white, minority power and privilege and black and "coloured" exploitation and disenfranchisement, possibly by analogy to the American usage described above.

hmmmmm
seems all the white people in this country are rednecks

Offline X Banana Boy

gordons bay - rooiels
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2006, 05:03:14 pm »
Quote from: "JourneyMan"
Quote from: "macduff"
i dont understand a word of afrikaans, and am assuming you are all talking about the road to rooiels????

:D  :D  :D

Which reminds me: Rooinek or Red Neck.

Stems from the fact that the English got their necks burned red by the African sun. Their helmets were not suited for the conditions.

In the USA there is also a "Red Neck" term. Anybody have a idea what it is about?

In the US a redneck is a country type person, who is nomally blue collar and does the hunting, fishing type thing.  They are also in the south east part of the US, ie my neck of the woods.

and from Wikipedia.com

In modern usage, the term redneck predominantly refers to a particular stereotype of individuals living in Appalachia, the Southern United States, the Ozarks, and later the Rocky Mountain States. The word can be used either as a pejorative or as a matter of pride, depending on context.

Usage of the term "Redneck" generally differs from Hick and Hillbilly, because Rednecks reject or resist assimilation into the dominant culture, while Hicks and Hillbillies theoretically are isolated from the dominant culture. In this way, the Redneck is similar to the word Cracker.

Offline Lootch67

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin
gordons bay - rooiels
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2006, 01:35:28 am »
Said that the Englishman has got a foot in England and the other on Africa with his willy dangling in the sea! :lol:

Mmm, just realised that, by that definition, me am also now a Soutie.

Where does a Redneck go to meet women? Family reunion :P
98 Black AT & the wheel from a 04 KLR 650.

Offline X Banana Boy

gordons bay - rooiels
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2006, 02:54:12 pm »
Quote from: "Lootch67"
Said that the Englishman has got a foot in England and the other on Africa with his willy dangling in the sea! :lol:

Mmm, just realised that, by that definition, me am also now a Soutie.

Where does a Redneck go to meet women? Family reunion :P

Thats true in the south.  My inlaws yearly family reunion is always 50 plus people and that is just some of the imediate family.

Offline Lootch67

• Race Dog
gordons bay - rooiels
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2006, 03:33:46 pm »
Quote from: "X Banana Boy"
Thats true in the south.  My inlaws yearly family reunion is always 50 plus people and that is just some of the imediate family.

Me and my big gob!  :oops:  Should've know there would be people related to rednecks on this forum :lol:

Offline X Banana Boy

gordons bay - rooiels
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2006, 04:02:56 pm »
Quote from: "X Banana Boy"

Me and my big gob!  :oops:  Should've know there would be people related to rednecks on this forum :lol:

I think the whole thing is funny.

If you want to piss them off, call them a yank.  Say that all Americans are yanks.   :D  :D  :D  :twisted:

Offline Lootch67

• Race Dog
gordons bay - rooiels
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2006, 05:37:38 pm »
I bet you've got a couple of stories to tell...

I wear braces with the Union Jack on them and the Brits never know what to make of it. They can't decide whether I'm trying to be more British than them or whether I'm taking the p!ss. In reality I had a choice between these and Bart Simpson ones, but I like to keep them guessing.

Offline X Banana Boy

gordons bay - rooiels
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2006, 05:55:50 pm »
I bet you've got a couple of stories to tell...

I wear braces with the Union Jack and the Brits never know what to make of it. They can't decide whether I'm trying to be more British than them or whether I'm taking the p!ss. In reality I had a choice between these and Bart Simpson ones, but I like to keep them guessing.

:D  :D  The yanks call braces suspenders in the US.  It still cracks me up as i always this of a lady with her suspenders holding up her tights.

Them rednecks are funny as well.  My wife's favourite uncle, Jimmy Mac (yip thats his name) is a wonderful man and loves my kids.  They are my wife's god parents.  

Jimmy Mac was horrified to hear that my wife was going out with a South African - I am from Africa so I must be black thinking.  When he sees a pic of me is okay that i am white.  He then asked my wife if my parents were black (being from Africa and all).  My wife just cracked up laughing and we still laugh about it to this day.  :D  Interesting how international our views are compared to others, especially small town folk.