Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Snake Photos  (Read 130345 times)

Offline PapaDragon

Re: Snake Photos
« Reply #740 on: May 30, 2021, 09:10:37 pm »
:o
As kids Mtunzini was our favourite place to be during June July hols... we camped in the reserve campgrounds, were told that they were to be found but never saw any, my first encounter was 1972 while on patrol in the Caprivi when I almost stepped on one, our Loot actually spotted it and yelled "Dekking!". It was so to say invisible in the leaf litter.
Check the distribution of Gaboons, The Caprivi is not part of their range.

Sent from my vivo 1820 using Tapatalk
It is where Zambia borders the Caprivi... and I was there. :sip:

I have also seen one a few ks into Zambia from the Caprivi cutline,
weird the distribution maps.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed with the things that you didn't do, than the things you did. Mark Twain

The following users thanked this post: RobC

Offline Koet

• T-Rex 700N "The Beast"!
  • Race Dog
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • Splash!
« Reply #741 on: May 31, 2021, 09:01:27 am »
Snakes can't read so they don't know they're not supposed to be in those areas.  The ones you find there are the renegades.   :pot:
Only Bikers understand why dogs love to stick their heads out car windows.

Offline RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #742 on: May 31, 2021, 09:38:29 am »
Snakes can't read so they don't know they're not supposed to be in those areas.  The ones you find there are the renegades.   :pot:
:laughing4: A lot of animals have ranges far beyond the defined ranges, very little updates have been done in the past 10 off years as well... and covid has further complicated things. :sip:

Offline LeonDude

• A very quiet
  • Grey hound
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DL650 - The Magic Touch
    • Leon de Kock - Author pages
« Reply #743 on: May 31, 2021, 02:47:53 pm »
:laughing4: A lot of animals have ranges far beyond the defined ranges, very little updates have been done in the past 10 off years as well... and covid has further complicated things. :sip:
As a birder, I can tell you that the ranges are changing as we speak. Birds that have never been in an area before are moving in there. I am also with Gnorbig - the bat interest group, and as we do research on bats we find species far out of their known ranges - it's simply a matter of lack of knowledge and research.
Ride reports, books and more on my website.
http://www.leondekock.com/
Building Plans - A Concise reference
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1093937
https://books.apple.com/us/book/x/id1576543716

Offline mtr89

• Race Dog
  • Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • one grateful dude
« Reply #744 on: May 31, 2021, 03:22:12 pm »
Saw this spotted Skaapsteker sunning himself on the Loteni Road on Friday. I stopped for a few pics and managed to get him off the road before a car flattened his curves. He got quite agitated when I got near him, but still a beaut snake. Apologies for not getting a better close up
KX125-sold;DT 175-sold;XT660R-sold;VFR 800-sold;SR250-soldt;2006 YZ 250 2t sold;2009 YZ 250 2t sold; 2013 XT 660Z Tenere-current

The following users thanked this post: RobC, Dorsland, Tom van Brits

Offline RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #745 on: May 31, 2021, 03:25:13 pm »
Saw this spotted Skaapsteker sunning himself on the Loteni Road on Friday. I stopped for a few pics and managed to get him off the road before a car flattened his curves. He got quite agitated when I got near him, but still a beaut snake. Apologies for not getting a better close up
:thumleft: You did good!

The following users thanked this post: Tom van Brits

Offline mtr89

• Race Dog
  • one grateful dude
« Reply #746 on: May 31, 2021, 03:40:31 pm »
Thanks @RobC
KX125-sold;DT 175-sold;XT660R-sold;VFR 800-sold;SR250-soldt;2006 YZ 250 2t sold;2009 YZ 250 2t sold; 2013 XT 660Z Tenere-current

Offline Big E

• Race Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Hou my BigE dop...ek wil vir jou trick wys
« Reply #747 on: May 31, 2021, 04:38:24 pm »

Jy is blerrie gelukkig daai slang het lank genoeg stil gele sodat jy die foto kon neem......hulle is blitsig
Nou kyk nou net waar het daai hond loop l!

Offline mtr89

• Race Dog
  • one grateful dude
« Reply #748 on: June 01, 2021, 08:53:08 am »
@BigE, you're quite right, as soon as I got close to him he was whipping around and getting lively! He must have been cold though to have stayed in the road like that

Offline Robert Raubenheimer

• Pack Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
« Reply #749 on: June 06, 2021, 10:27:50 am »
I caught this Poffie by my neighbour yesterday put it into a drum and released

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The following users thanked this post: RobC, Odd Dog, Ri, Tom van Brits

Offline Dorsland

• Grey hound
  • Opsaal kerels!
    • Patriot Boerbokstoet
« Reply #750 on: June 06, 2021, 12:08:49 pm »
Ek hou van julle ouens wat die slange so hervestig.  Mooi gedaan! :thumleft:

@mtr89 that looks like an unusually long skaapstekertjie, difficult to tell without a scale of some sort?
If youth but knew...if age but could.

Henri Estienne

Offline mtr89

• Race Dog
  • one grateful dude
« Reply #751 on: June 07, 2021, 06:30:26 pm »
@Dorsland, id guess he was at about 60-70cm long

Offline Herkules

« Reply #752 on: June 07, 2021, 07:19:29 pm »
 :sip: Robc ek stem saam jy kon sekerlik n Caboen adder in die Caprive raakgeloop het, die grense van die slange word maar bepaal op die local popolation wat dit rapporteer, was daar internet daai tyd?
Ook op die oomblik? wat is die popilasie digtheid teenoor die oop veld?
Ek glo baie slange kom buite gerapporteerde grense voor.
Ek het byvoorbeeld n swart spoeg kobra in Melkbos verwyder, later uitgevind die eienaar van die huis was in die Sederberge die vorige naweek. die ou het n lift gevang.  :spitcoffee: Maar so kan slange hervestig word.  :3some:
Daar was selfs roomers dat die groter bosveld luiperd in die Sederberg opgemerk was. die diere "expand" voordurend hulle jaggebied. dis net my opinie.

Offline RobC

• Stoepkakkertjie
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bloemfontein
« Reply #753 on: June 07, 2021, 09:09:17 pm »
:sip: Robc ek stem saam jy kon sekerlik n Caboen adder in die Caprive raakgeloop het, die grense van die slange word maar bepaal op die local popolation wat dit rapporteer, was daar internet daai tyd?
Ek het byvoorbeeld n swart spoeg kobra in Melkbos verwyder, later uitgevind die eienaar van die huis was in die Sederberge die vorige naweek. die ou het n lift gevang.  :spitcoffee: Maar so kan slange hervestig word.  :3some:
Daar was selfs roomers dat die groter bosveld luiperd in die Sederberg opgemerk was. die diere "expand" voordurend hulle jaggebied. dis net my opinie.
:thumleft:
Hierdie was Julie maand 1972 noordoos van Katima, langs die Zambesi... nee daar was nie internet nie, net B52 radio coms met Zero. :biggrin:
Ons het 'n slangbyt/orientasie lesing gekry voor ons vertrek en is gese hulle is skaars maar wel daar. Was beslis nie 'n pofadder nie. :deal: :biggrin:

Offline Herkules

« Reply #754 on: June 07, 2021, 09:14:45 pm »
:thumleft:
Hierdie was Julie maand 1972 noordoos van Katima, langs die Zambesi... nee daar was nie internet nie, net B52 radio coms met Zero. :biggrin:
Ons het 'n slangbyt/orientasie lesing gekry voor ons vertrek en is gese hulle is skaars maar wel daar. Was beslis nie 'n pofadder nie. :deal: :biggrin:
  Ek was self in 1972 in die Caprivi in Katima! Intresant!?

Offline Herkules

« Reply #755 on: June 07, 2021, 09:19:52 pm »
Ek het wel Swart en Groen mambas teegekom en ook n baie mooi groot Cape File Snake. Nie enige ander slange nie. Ek was ook in n ander kamp verder wes in 1969.

Offline PapaDragon

« Reply #756 on: June 15, 2021, 10:05:59 pm »
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed with the things that you didn't do, than the things you did. Mark Twain

Offline Koet

• T-Rex 700N "The Beast"!
  • Race Dog
  • Splash!
« Reply #757 on: September 13, 2021, 10:35:43 am »
Hi guys and gals

Can someone help identify this little fellow?  We found it in the Waterberg area near Vaalwater.  It was curled up dead in the road.  You can see a bulge extruding from it's side so maybe it was run over by a car?  Although the body wasn't flattened.  So not sure what caused it's death.
Only Bikers understand why dogs love to stick their heads out car windows.

Offline FrancoisTz

« Reply #758 on: September 13, 2021, 10:42:45 am »
The colors suggest brown house snake
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank amongst those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.

Offline TheHamster

« Reply #759 on: September 13, 2021, 11:35:28 am »
Not a House Snake; looks more like a Brown Water Snake.

Sent from my vivo 1820 using Tapatalk

Never hesitate to take that ride. Ride safe, ride often and ride far. The soul demands it.

All men die, but not all men live......

The following users thanked this post: Koet