Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Snake Photos  (Read 94091 times)

Offline Delport

• Bike: BMW G650 X-challenge
  • When in doubt, pin it...
Re: Snake Photos
« Reply #420 on: February 15, 2016, 08:02:36 pm »
Jissie scary looking snake? Are they venomous? Almost has a cobra-like look to it

Offline silvrav

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #421 on: February 16, 2016, 06:28:46 am »
quote from the one guy who will investigate further
"Honestly for me the most difficult of species to distinguish between is the Purple glossed, Natal Black and southern stiletto. Usually the location is the limiting factor but in this case it works for all 3."

Also leaning towards natal black.

Head size,nostril size eliminates the southern stiletto for me

Online frankmac

• Bike: Singer (all models)
  • You want my what??
« Reply #422 on: February 16, 2016, 07:42:47 am »
Johan Marais has confirmed it as a Natal Black snake, Jon.

Although not an aggressive snake, it's venom is apparently quite potent

Offline JonW

• Hilton Hound
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
« Reply #423 on: February 16, 2016, 08:25:40 am »
Thanks everyone for the input, seems like it is a Natal black snake.

I don't really like my gardener killing snakes he finds in the garden, but this was quite a big one and he is terrified of them.

How can I be lost when I have got nowhere to go?

Offline Parkinoff

• Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
« Reply #424 on: February 16, 2016, 09:17:49 am »
Deleted personal stuff
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 10:08:14 am by Parkinoff »
My rides:

Super Hex TTI Alexithymia with completely unnecessary, but very expensive Nemophilistic suspension. Electroflux Gogglemaster Oenophilia Edition. 1983 (very rare) Yonderly Bawhair with heated grips.

Offline Parkinoff

« Reply #425 on: February 16, 2016, 09:18:40 am »
Deleted some more personal stuff
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 10:08:46 am by Parkinoff »
My rides:

Super Hex TTI Alexithymia with completely unnecessary, but very expensive Nemophilistic suspension. Electroflux Gogglemaster Oenophilia Edition. 1983 (very rare) Yonderly Bawhair with heated grips.

Offline Parkinoff

« Reply #426 on: February 16, 2016, 09:19:41 am »
Mole
My rides:

Offline Parkinoff

« Reply #427 on: February 16, 2016, 09:20:24 am »
Mole
My rides:

Offline Mev Vis Arend

• Bike: Honda CRF-250L
« Reply #428 on: February 16, 2016, 09:31:52 am »
2 Foties of our Storm. She's a Yellow rat snake and very very docile. Only thing that stresses her are dogs nearby.

Other 2 pics of a mole snake I caught in my garage, also very docile and did not try to strike at all. Some healed damage visible just behind its head. We often get Puffies lazing on the gravel roads here and I don't like to walk without a torch at night.

Ag nee wat, Parkinoff, ek beskuit myself!  Bygesę, ek verpes dit as mense slange voor die voet doodmaak, maar ek is nie so braaf soos julle nie.

Ons meisiekind en haar pa het so ruk lank twee waterslange in die huis gehad, maar na 'n paar maande kon ek hulle oortuig dat die goetjies in die veld hoort. 
Honda XR250 - Given to daughter.  BMW 1200 GSA met Karretjie  -  Suzuki 125 Scoota with a KTM topbox - sold.  Honda CRF 250 L

Offline Parkinoff

« Reply #429 on: February 16, 2016, 09:38:54 am »
Ek hou van diere maar oor ek soms uitstedig is vir n week of wat kan ek nie iets anders aanhou as n slang nie. Storm sal nie in die wild oorleef nie want sy is bang vir n lewendige muis en eet net dooie muise en so versigtig ook. Soos vroer in hierdie post genoem, mens moet die slange uitlos dan los hulle jou uit. Eks nie lief vir n spinnef@kkenkop nie, hulle gee my nagmerries.
My rides:

Offline Quicker

« Reply #430 on: February 21, 2016, 09:37:49 pm »
So who can tell me why the puffies are always straight?unlike other snakes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #431 on: February 22, 2016, 09:22:29 am »

Puffies are not always straight. They lie curled up. But that's when we almost never see them because they are so well camouflaged.

When we do usually see them is when they are on the move, crossing roads and suchlike. Puffies have a different type of "motion" to most other snakes. They sort of crimp and stretch their bodies, using the belly scales to move forward. Othe snakes bend their bodies and use the angles to move forward.

That's why puffies "appear" to be straighter than other snakes.  :thumleft:
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline ERJ

• Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #432 on: February 22, 2016, 10:28:13 am »
So on Friday night, at about 21:00, on my parents farm in the Freestate the 1 year old little Jack Russell, Roxy (note that Jack Russell on a farm should only be named once they are older than a year) went looking for adventure and found a Puffadder (NOTE) curled up in a small circle. Took one hit in the face and another on the chest.
Was touch and go for the night, but she survived! Lucky it was a big snake, arguing that they are more experienced/ able to regulate the amount of venom in a bite, “n droe pik”.
Unfortunately my dad was very cross at the snake and, I assume, respectfully challenged him to a duel,  snake lost.

Will have to wait and see if little Roxy carries any long term effects.

The previous year we lost one of our RidgeBacks to a Cobra. Never even knew she was bitten.
We probably lose one or two livestock during the year because of snakes, but this I mostly the cattle that stumbles across a puffadder. Always bitten on the face – the puffadder is too fat to move away and the cattle are stubbornly curious.

Funny thing is, the horses also get bitten (in the face) but their natural immune system is so strong they just cough once or twice (face swells to double the size), then move on to the next potentially killing interest.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 11:04:56 am by ERJ »

Offline Rufus115

« Reply #433 on: February 22, 2016, 10:39:20 am »
Mole
This is not a mole snake...looks to be possibly a brown water snake. Very docile and easy to hand rear.
"To live, you gotta lose some sleep"

Offline Dirty Boy

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Son, thats not how I showed you......
« Reply #434 on: February 22, 2016, 10:50:04 am »

Not all are straight  ;)

Offline Battlestar

• IF IM NOT HERE IM ON MY BIKE
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom
  • "LUX NOBIS DUX"
« Reply #435 on: February 22, 2016, 10:56:00 am »
Mole
This is not a mole snake...looks to be possibly a brown water snake. Very docile and easy to hand rear.
100% a brown water snake
Pass this way once!

Online frankmac

• Bike: Singer (all models)
  • You want my what??
« Reply #436 on: February 22, 2016, 11:01:14 am »

Not all are straight  ;)

Nope, but doesn't look too gay either after that belabouring, DB. More like an oversized fencing staple

Offline Quicker

« Reply #437 on: February 22, 2016, 08:08:55 pm »
Bwahahahaha!!
Skerp kerels…

Offline Redline1

« Reply #438 on: February 22, 2016, 08:41:00 pm »
 :sip:
Chinese proverb: 讀萬卷書不如行萬里路
Reading ten thousand books is not as useful as travelling ten thousand miles

Offline silvrav

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #439 on: February 22, 2016, 09:20:35 pm »
So on Friday night, at about 21:00, on my parents farm in the Freestate the 1 year old little Jack Russell, Roxy (note that Jack Russell on a farm should only be named once they are older than a year) went looking for adventure and found a Puffadder (NOTE) curled up in a small circle. Took one hit in the face and another on the chest.
Was touch and go for the night, but she survived! Lucky it was a big snake, arguing that they are more experienced/ able to regulate the amount of venom in a bite, “n droe pik”.
Unfortunately my dad was very cross at the snake and, I assume, respectfully challenged him to a duel,  snake lost.

Will have to wait and see if little Roxy carries any long term effects.

The previous year we lost one of our RidgeBacks to a Cobra. Never even knew she was bitten.
We probably lose one or two livestock during the year because of snakes, but this I mostly the cattle that stumbles across a puffadder. Always bitten on the face – the puffadder is too fat to move away and the cattle are stubbornly curious.

Funny thing is, the horses also get bitten (in the face) but their natural immune system is so strong they just cough once or twice (face swells to double the size), then move on to the next potentially killing interest.

Lucky jackie and glaf he is ok.

Yes one way of making snake anti venom is to inject it into horses and collect the plasma created by the antibodies to usr as an anti venom