Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Snake Photos  (Read 91147 times)

Offline Parkinoff

• Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
Re: Snake Photos
« Reply #440 on: February 22, 2016, 11:46:55 pm »
Mole
This is not a mole snake...looks to be possibly a brown water snake. Very docile and easy to hand rear.
100% a brown water snake

Thanks Rufus and Battlestar. I tried to google to check if its not perhaps a Cape Cobra. It was indeed very docile and calm. How do you spot the difference between the mole and the brown water snake?
My rides:

Super Hex TTI Alexithymia with completely unnecessary, but very expensive Nemophilistic suspension. Electroflux Gogglemaster Oenophilia Edition. 1983 (very rare) Yonderly Bawhair with heated grips.

Offline Mev Vis Arend

• Bike: Honda CRF-250L
« Reply #441 on: February 23, 2016, 01:01:47 am »
2 Foties of our Storm. She's a Yellow rat snake and very very docile. Only thing that stresses her are dogs nearby.

Other 2 pics of a mole snake I caught in my garage, also very docile and did not try to strike at all. Some healed damage visible just behind its head. We often get Puffies lazing on the gravel roads here and I don't like to walk without a torch at night.

Ag nee wat, Parkinoff, ek beskuit myself!  BygesÍ, ek verpes dit as mense slange voor die voet doodmaak, maar ek is nie so braaf soos julle nie.

Ons meisiekind en haar pa het so ruk lank twee waterslange in die huis gehad, maar na 'n paar maande kon ek hulle oortuig dat die goetjies in die veld hoort. 

Mole
This is not a mole snake...looks to be possibly a brown water snake. Very docile and easy to hand rear.

Een was hoeka 'n bruinwaterslang, maar dank Vader, BAIE kleiner. 
Honda XR250 - Given to daughter.  BMW 1200 GSA met Karretjie  -  Suzuki 125 Scoota with a KTM topbox - sold.  Honda CRF 250 L

Offline Franky3

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
Re:
« Reply #442 on: February 23, 2016, 01:48:26 am »
Dis n lekker thread die. Ek het nog altyd van slange gehou maar hier in die stedelike gebiede sien mens maar min van hulle. Selfs as ek bikie gan explore  sien ek nie sommer slange nie.

Sent from my SM-J110F using Tapatalk

Offline Rufus115

« Reply #443 on: February 23, 2016, 12:21:44 pm »
Mole
100% a brown water snake

Thanks Rufus and Battlestar. I tried to google to check if its not perhaps a Cape Cobra. It was indeed very docile and calm. How do you spot the difference between the mole and the brown water snake?

Its been a really long time since I kept snakes...as in very very looong but from memory, you need to have a book on the common snakes, one with good pics. Then, certain characteristics are counted together (not alone) such as head shape - mole snake has a pointy snout and the water snake more flatter and eyes bulge out more. They are both constrictors but again, from memory the transition from head to body is more pronounced in the water snake than the mole snake. Young mole snakes are not uniform in colour, they look very different to adults with their patterns. Young water snakes look like mini versions of their parents.
Mole snakes have a reputation for being aggro little bastids, water snakes are chillaxed like some forum members.

Treat all with caution and respect, and the world will be a better place.
"To live, you gotta lose some sleep"

Offline Parkinoff

• Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
« Reply #444 on: February 25, 2016, 10:43:43 am »
Mole
100% a brown water snake

Its been a really long time since I kept snakes...as in very very looong but from memory, you need to have a book on the common snakes, one with good pics. Then, certain characteristics are counted together (not alone) such as head shape - mole snake has a pointy snout and the water snake more flatter and eyes bulge out more. They are both constrictors but again, from memory the transition from head to body is more pronounced in the water snake than the mole snake. Young mole snakes are not uniform in colour, they look very different to adults with their patterns. Young water snakes look like mini versions of their parents.
Mole snakes have a reputation for being aggro little bastids, water snakes are chillaxed like some forum members.

Treat all with caution and respect, and the world will be a better place.

Tx. I agree, leave them alone and they should leave you, although a little girl died from a Cape Cobra bite recently, the snake was on the bed!! Bit the child on her hand.........
My rides:

Super Hex TTI Alexithymia with completely unnecessary, but very expensive Nemophilistic suspension. Electroflux Gogglemaster Oenophilia Edition. 1983 (very rare) Yonderly Bawhair with heated grips.

Offline Amsterdam

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
« Reply #445 on: February 25, 2016, 11:08:58 am »
Some photos I picked up from my time onshore and offshore in Cabinda (not taken by me).  There were quite a few snakes around the camp.  Company had a good policy of relocating them to a safe area in the camp and releasing them. 

When you are on a well jacket it often took hours to get a boat to pick you up again to go back to the beach.  One day some guys were dropped off at an unmanned location and when they moved around they saw a big python on the deck.  They reported it to Operations and the mere mention of the word "snake" had a helicopter on their location in minutes.  But these guys were British ex Royal Marines so they completed the job before leaving the location. 

KTM 500 XCW, Husqvarna 701, KTM 1190 Adventure

Offline Rufus115

« Reply #446 on: February 25, 2016, 09:27:28 pm »
Cool pics!

That Gaboon Viper is eating a cat..OMF!!!
"To live, you gotta lose some sleep"

Offline Vis Arend

• It's not how fast you start, it's how long you endure.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250 Rally
« Reply #447 on: February 26, 2016, 07:16:15 am »
Cool pics!

:eek7:  And his tjommies are just looking on.   :patch:   
No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the the couch
Honda XL125  -  Sold,    Honda XR200R  -  Sold,     Yamaha TT500  -  Sold,     Honda Transalp700  -  Sold,       Yamaha S10 Fast Blue  -  Sold,   Yamaha S10 Slow White  -  Sold,   Honda CRF250 Rally..

Online frankmac

• Bike: Singer (all models)
  • You want my what??
« Reply #448 on: February 26, 2016, 07:44:39 am »
Cool pics!

:eek7:  And his tjommies are just looking on.   :patch:  

Bad luck there, Fred. The queen (I'm not going to use that word) is all mine now. hehe
« Last Edit: February 26, 2016, 07:46:40 am by frankmac »

Offline Amsterdam

• Bike: Husqvarna (all models)
« Reply #449 on: February 26, 2016, 01:01:59 pm »
In the camp the word cat food had a whole different meaning from the snakes perspective.
KTM 500 XCW, Husqvarna 701, KTM 1190 Adventure

Offline Ri

• Stray DR Collector
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • DR650 Admirer
Re:
« Reply #450 on: February 26, 2016, 03:02:31 pm »
Dis n lekker thread die. Ek het nog altyd van slange gehou maar hier in die stedelike gebiede sien mens maar min van hulle. Selfs as ek bikie gan explore  sien ek nie sommer slange nie.

Sent from my SM-J110F using Tapatalk

Ek het al 2 slange op die ou Polkadraaipad gekry.

Cape Reptile Institute (CRI) bied 'n nice 2-dag slanghanteringskursus aan by die Driftsands Environmental Centre naby Kuilsrivier - groot pret  :biggrin:    (Laas jaar se advertensie: http://www.health24.com/News/Events/Become-a-snake-wrangler-20140724)
Tales of the Purple Turtles: Ride Reports
PROJECT SAS WILDEHOND III Contributions: R Snyman Capitec Savings Account 1545860511 Balance (2017/12/07): R3005,00 - R1,600 for steel purchase

Offline Franky3

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
Re:
« Reply #451 on: February 26, 2016, 03:40:39 pm »
Ri, baie dankie. Ek sal bikie uitvind oor dit. Dit is defnetief iets wat ek sal wil doen. Knowledge is power.

Sent from my SM-T531 using Tapatalk

Offline 2wdrift

• Bike: Honda XR650R
  • KLR Flip...
« Reply #452 on: March 01, 2016, 10:48:43 am »

Caught this little guy on saturday. He bit me about 100 times before realising he can calm down.
XR650R the one and only
Calling upon my years of experience, I froze at the controls.  ~Stirling Moss

Don't worry my stutter is also bilingual...

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Ride to ride again
« Reply #453 on: March 01, 2016, 11:02:53 am »
Hierdie molslang in die kgalagadi se stert is afgebyt deur 2 secretaris voels. Arme ou kon nie vinnig genoeg wegkom nie.

Jammer vir die onduidelike fotos. Swambo was te bang om in te zoom... :laughing4:

« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 11:03:40 am by Ama ride ride »
Gewoontlik n@@i ek reguit aan op fyndraai.

Offline Beemer Mike

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
  • Preserve the Wild Dog (in formaldehyde)!!!
« Reply #454 on: March 01, 2016, 11:40:08 am »
Hierdie molslang in die kgalagadi se stert is afgebyt deur 2 secretaris voels. Arme ou kon nie vinnig genoeg wegkom nie.

Jammer vir die onduidelike fotos. Swambo was te bang om in te zoom... :laughing4:

Are you sure that it is a Mole snake. Could have been a Stiletto snake which is very venemous.
BMW 1150 GSA
Honda XR 650 L
BMW GS 1200 LC Trophy

Offline 2wdrift

• KLR Flip...
Re: Re: Snake Photos
« Reply #455 on: March 01, 2016, 12:11:36 pm »

Are you sure that it is a Mole snake. Could have been a Stiletto snake which is very venemous.
I didnt know stiletto snakes can get that big?

As far as I know that cant be one because of the size, but I am not sure anymore. Will google

According to google the stiletto snake can grow up to 70cm long. The snake in that pic looks to me a bit longer than a meter. But I never realised how big the stiletto snake can get.
XR650R the one and only

Offline heinzz

« Reply #456 on: March 01, 2016, 12:38:05 pm »
Nee fok, ek los die goete uit. Gaan hom nie vra watse slang hy issi. :dousing:

Ek is nie bang vir baie nie maar vir slange kakbang.

Offline Mr Zog

• Well fuck me, I'm a
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda XL500S
  • Without the gutter my mind would be homeless...
« Reply #457 on: March 01, 2016, 12:42:22 pm »

Caught this little guy on saturday. He bit me about 100 times before realising he can calm down.

Spotted bush snake?
Young enough to know I can, old enough to know I shouldn't, stupid enough to do it anyway.

Offline 2wdrift

• KLR Flip...
« Reply #458 on: March 01, 2016, 12:59:10 pm »
Well Zog I hope so...

I know this little guy, he lives around my house so I knew what he was. My dogs discovered him and I saved him from them. Otherwise I leave them unless they pose a danger. Then I catch them release them elsewhere on the farm.

I caught a mozambique spitting cobra the other day that has been living in my house for a good few months but I could never catch him. He didnt even try and squirt the venom.
XR650R the one and only

Offline Ama ride ride

• Gravel unlimited
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Ride to ride again
« Reply #459 on: March 01, 2016, 01:44:34 pm »

Mike i was positive its a mole till you mentioned Stilleto and now.....  :eek7: :eek7:

Can you zoom in?
Gewoontlik n@@i ek reguit aan op fyndraai.