Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Snake Photos  (Read 90368 times)

Offline Herklaas

• Bike: Triumph (all models)
  • Do it, you only live twice.
Re: Snake Photos
« Reply #520 on: May 11, 2018, 07:57:04 pm »
Boomslang looking for prey

:sip: Female Boomslang.
Yamaha 50, Yamaha 400, 2 x Yamaha DR 350 LC, Honda CBX 550 F2, Honda TransAlp 650, Triumph Tiger 800 Xc,
Now 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 Xcx.and.. my favorite... 1996 Yamaha Tenere 660 5 valve single.

Offline Herklaas

« Reply #521 on: May 11, 2018, 08:03:33 pm »

:sip: Zebra Cobra, distribution Caprivi Zipfel and surrounds. I would appreciate it if the area of where the photo was taken is also mentioned by the person posting a pic of a snake.
Yamaha 50, Yamaha 400, 2 x Yamaha DR 350 LC, Honda CBX 550 F2, Honda TransAlp 650, Triumph Tiger 800 Xc,
Now 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 Xcx.and.. my favorite... 1996 Yamaha Tenere 660 5 valve single.

The following users thanked this post: frankmac

Offline Vis Arend

• It's not how fast you start, it's how long you endure.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-250 Rally
« Reply #522 on: May 12, 2018, 06:07:46 am »

:sip: Zebra Cobra, distribution Caprivi Zipfel and surrounds. I would appreciate it if the area of where the photo was taken is also mentioned by the person posting a pic of a snake.

Area is Kaokoland in Namibia, must be either the Ugab or Hoanib river by the looks of the area.
No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the the couch
Honda XL125  -  Sold,    Honda XR200R  -  Sold,     Yamaha TT500  -  Sold,     Honda Transalp700  -  Sold,       Yamaha S10 Fast Blue  -  Sold,   Yamaha S10 Slow White  -  Sold,   Honda CRF250 Rally..

Offline Xpat

« Reply #523 on: May 12, 2018, 12:59:58 pm »

http://www.wilddog.za.net/forum/index.php?topic=222953.220

Offline Xpat

« Reply #524 on: May 12, 2018, 01:01:09 pm »

Area is Kaokoland in Namibia, must be either the Ugab or Hoanib river by the looks of the area.

Close - Hoarusib river, Puros canyon.

Offline Herklaas

« Reply #525 on: May 12, 2018, 07:26:32 pm »

yes, it looks like that area, I see this one has a lighter coloration, possibly because the dryer area, the ones in the Caprivi is much darker and lighter contrast.

Offline Malmoer

• Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Either i find a way or I will make one!!
« Reply #526 on: May 13, 2018, 09:05:37 am »

In 2015 i was relocated to Tsumeb. Found a flat and the elderly chat told me. Seun hou maar jou deure toe. Ander gaan jy n surprice kry as jy terugkom.
Mambas and Angolan spitting cobra or like the locals call them (Zebra snake) was obviously their concern. Now he wasnt scared of the mambas but he told me that up there the Zebra snake was the most dangerous. Due to not having their anti venom available or something like that. Any truth to this?
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit...... WHAT A RIDE"!!!!!!!

2011 F800gs (Current)
2007 G650 x challenge (Crashed!!!)
2008 YZ250wr (Sold)

Offline Xpat

« Reply #527 on: May 13, 2018, 10:14:53 am »

In 2015 i was relocated to Tsumeb. Found a flat and the elderly chat told me. Seun hou maar jou deure toe. Ander gaan jy n surprice kry as jy terugkom.
Mambas and Angolan spitting cobra or like the locals call them (Zebra snake) was obviously their concern. Now he wasnt scared of the mambas but he told me that up there the Zebra snake was the most dangerous. Due to not having their anti venom available or something like that. Any truth to this?

If you are asking me - sorry, I know nothing about snakes. But even with that caveat the anecdotal evidence seems to indicate that what the old gentleman told you may be true.

I had exactly the same warning issued to me by good people of Puros at the Puros Community Bushlodge - always keep the doors closed, because of what they called spitting cobra (which I think is pretty safe bet that the snake in the image is - I actually remember feeling quite safe when taking those pictures sitting on the bike just because I had googles on  :imaposer:). Actually I remember on my first visit there many years ago, the sand around the roundavel was meticulously swept and there was very clear zig-zag pattern following the circumference of the building. It was so regular and pretty, that I complimented the lodge guy there for a nice touch. To which he replied that it is indeed from spitting cobra. I then cemented my survivalist credentials by asking if it is poisonous - it apparently is.

As far as if it is more dangerous than mamba - again, no idea, but I do find these kind of comparisons kind of ridiculous, at least out in the bush (in Tsumeb with hospital closeby the difference indeed may be critical). I'm pretty sure that one proper bite from any of those two out there in Puros canyon would basically be game over. Sure, we had some painkillers and bandages but I somehow think that those wouldn't be good enough even for mamba bite.

As far as aggression goes - again no idea. I have no idea how this snake appeared on the track where just a minute ago JustBendIt was parked waiting for me. One guess would be the Justin run it over and dug it out of the sand with his 500 - you can see the snake sitting on top of Justin's track - but as I said no idea. The snake stood in that warning position for the whole time I was there taking pictures about 3-4 meters from it, but when I gave it wide berth it sliden away seamlessly. It didn't try to attack me while taking pictures which took for good 2 - 3 minutes.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 10:22:09 am by Xpat »

Offline Malmoer

• Bike: BMW F800GS
  • Either i find a way or I will make one!!
« Reply #528 on: May 13, 2018, 12:52:05 pm »
I have huge respect for snakes and they fascinate me hugely.
As i remember the uncle said that the mamba where more venimous but with the Zebra snake getting antivenom was the problem.
I the 3 months i was there, he killed 2 Mambas in his yard on the same day!!!
The locals had a few people(Children as well) bitten by a zebra snake. Do not know what happened.

Seeing the pyffy earlier reminded me of the run in i had with a puffy in my garage.
My garage is facing towards the field here in Langebaan which is also the direction of the national park/reserve

Changing the cars timing belt wife came in to ask if i wanted some coffee and started shouting at me snake snake.
Obviously i jumped. We caught the puffy and let it go in the park but upon investigating where the puffy was in relation to my feet i got a huge SKRIK!

We determined it was on its way directly towards my feet and at the time she entered the garage was between 25 to 30 cm away from my feet. I would have been a really kak Sunday had she not come in when she did, i think

anycase we have had a few juvinile molesnakes in the house, a few cobras passing by but this was the first puffadder in about 7 years.
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit...... WHAT A RIDE"!!!!!!!

2011 F800gs (Current)
2007 G650 x challenge (Crashed!!!)
2008 YZ250wr (Sold)

Offline Herklaas

« Reply #529 on: May 13, 2018, 07:30:06 pm »
 :sip: In very hot areas the snakes will enter homes/huts because it is cooler, also, because it is so hot in those areas we leave the windows and doors open. Snakes will only bite/spit when they feel threatend. Sometimes when stepped on or rolled over onto in bed.

Offline elandsrider

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #530 on: January 18, 2019, 10:14:27 pm »
Hi hi is this little fellow
KLR 650, KDX 200, XTZ 750, XL 500

Offline Piet

« Reply #531 on: January 18, 2019, 10:32:40 pm »
Hi hi is this little fellow
Brown House Snake...

The following users thanked this post: elandsrider

Offline elandsrider

• Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
« Reply #532 on: January 19, 2019, 06:00:34 am »
Thanks, that makes sense, he was in the house ;D
KLR 650, KDX 200, XTZ 750, XL 500

Offline chicco

• Bike: KTM 990 Adventure
  • Revolution or death........
« Reply #533 on: January 19, 2019, 09:29:05 am »
Thanks, that makes sense, he was in the house ;D

Makes a nice pet.
KLR650, KTM 950, KTM 990, HONDA CRF 230, KTM 990S

Offline Breekbeen

• Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Whiskey for my men and beer for my horses.
« Reply #534 on: March 25, 2019, 08:59:11 am »
Can someone id?

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

YAMAHA WR450F ; YAMAHA XT660Z TENERE '12(sold)

An Adventure is waiting.... just go look for it.

Offline Breekbeen

• Bike: Zero (all models)
  • Whiskey for my men and beer for my horses.
« Reply #535 on: March 25, 2019, 09:22:48 am »
Herald snake?
YAMAHA WR450F ; YAMAHA XT660Z TENERE '12(sold)

An Adventure is waiting.... just go look for it.

Offline NeilV

• My Flickr account
« Reply #536 on: March 25, 2019, 09:27:38 am »
Definitely a red lipped herald.  :thumleft:
Love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle.

Offline mtr89

• Bike: Yamaha XT 660 Z
  • one grateful dude
« Reply #537 on: March 25, 2019, 07:04:00 pm »
Herald snake
KX125-sold;DT 175-sold;XT660R-sold;VFR 800-sold;SR250-soldt;2006 YZ 250 2t sold;2009 YZ 250 2t sold; 2013 XT 660Z Tenere-current

Offline Herklaas

« Reply #538 on: March 30, 2019, 07:45:06 am »
Herald snake, also called the red lip snake, but some do not have the red lips. (on the lower part of the mouth) Mildly venomous. It can change the shape of it's head to imetate an adder.

Offline heti

• Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • Heti, the abominable slowman!
« Reply #539 on: April 04, 2019, 09:21:51 am »
Interesting snippet of useless info...... the existence of this snake was first reported in the Eastern Cape Herald newspaper, from there the name.