My Bash

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kamanya

Andrew to most
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
I was a late entry, some work fell away so what can a man do.

I have been keen to see how this new engine and carbs work on longer trips. I suspected like a bat out of hell, but with crap fuel consunmption.

Packed and ready, just have to go back to the shop to change my new boots.

I took the really scenic but boring road to Kareedouw, but stopping in Knysna for a new set of rubber at Bruce’s shop;

https://capetown-westerncape.gumtree.co.za/c-Cars-Vehicles-motorcycles-scooters-BF-MOTORCYCLES-KNYSNA-WAENHOUD-STREET-08-W0QQAdIdZ414730438

I work on my own bike and love a well sorted shop. Bruce clearly has a passion for service and eye for detail. I am finicky about mechanics and liked his attitude and attention to detail. Stop in if you need anything. He works on anything.

Over the hill to Kareedouw and stopped in at a really cosy restaurant called Norma Jean, whose claim to fame was the tall order of the best ribs in the World! I tried them, I’ve not eaten all the worlds ribs but this set was some of the better ones I’ve tried.

There was a conference in Kareedouw and with no beds I was put up at a couples house who have a B&B and where prepared to rent me a room in their house.

The next morning I was up early, got some food at the local shop,

My holiday was only really starting now. J-mo on the forum had given me the gps track and kindly offered to keep an ear open for me. I was going to check into him later in the day and if he didn’t hear from me he would mobilise a search party – no small responsibility. My hat’s off to him.

That’s Kareedouw from over the river.

For the rest of the side entry it was just a really great ride. It is stunning, remote and has a nice rythym to it.

That’s Baviaans;

On looking for Chris Lamprecht, the farmer whose land I had crossed, I rode through a paddock that had a very aggressive Ostrige in it. He was fearless and didn’t even blink when I revved my bike and my bike is not quiet. I just managed to get my bike through the gate and it closed when he got to me. Chris later told me he is very wary of the big boy and gives him a wide berth.

The Baviaans was a neat rod with the only thing I was mildly concerned about was the water crossings. Without an airbox, I have a lower wading depth to a standard bike. I was not keen to drown my bike. I also have a lofted suspension so am not so good in the slower stuff where I have to try to hold the bike up.

The deepest bit was over my front wheel and I only had one nervous moment.

This is a crux bit. It has big pebbles that roll about under the wheels.

A Baviaan speed bump

I toppled over here, whilst taking a photo. It was almost the wrong way. It is flipping steep and high in places.

I had boots full of water and was keen to dry out and have something to eat. Patensie is a small neat, quant farming village where I got both done,

Bobotie and beer.

Followed by a bit of carbo loading

I thought that I could make the next bit of the trip through the Elandsriver Kloof and catch a B&B closer to PE. That waffle did more damage than I thought. I stopped halfway down the kloof at a clean little room of a place I can’t remember now.

I normally only sleep about 5 hours a night.

I didn’t move from in the bed from 6pm to about 6am. It was indicative of how much fun I had had the day before.

Eric of Metaljocky fame insisted that I travel through the Sam Knott nature reserve and over the Great Fish River past Fort Double Drift.

I didn’t get off without a few surprises. This happened after I turned back to lead a very lost articulated truck to the turnoff he was looking for.

Fort Double Drift

It prompted me to look up the history of the frontier wars. They are a direct influence on our later history and were a turbulent and formative time.

The drift itself is full of algae and exceptionally slippery. I was not happy getting across this, but made it without incident.

Just on from there is a good lookout that is the culmination of a really great track.

My brother passed away from cancer 3 years ago, his birthday would have been on the 22nd.

A big reason for the trip was to have some quiet time with his memories in a place that I find quiet and reflective. I had decided that though I would be through there a day sooner than his birthday, Katberg Pass was going to be it. I have been up there in the past during the Hogsback Bash.

Just before the top there is a very quiet corner with an old bridge that I changed my earplugs over to my iphone and some appropriate music and get ready for the rocky bit at the top;

Near the top

Having found the place I wanted, I had a quick bite with some classic trail meal and then washed out the tin to make a glass, (I’m sure the purists will grimace but under the circumstances will approve).

I found the place I had planned for and shared half of the Jameson with him.

I miss you.

It was a perfect stop.

Rejuvenated and keen to get onto Queenstown, I headed down the track to Takastad where on the way I had massive slide with the closest I have ever come to a highside and not had one. All hale the KTM suspension for getting me out of that one. I have it on video and will load it up later.

In Queenstown I found a B&B with 3 lovely ladies who looked after me and got my washing done and had a great chat.

Believe it or not, the Karma Sutra room!

Today, Snow Valley here I come!

Queenstown to Doordtrecht was probably the worst headwind I have ever ridden in. It was grim, cold and shitty.

From Dordrecht, I chose a back route to Barkley East that was far better and though I was worried about the impending threat of rain was the opposite of the prevous bit.

I found my first bunch of Wilddogs in a pub in Barkley East. Who was I not to join them;

But, places to go and people to drink with awaited and as good as the conversation was…

A beautiful old toll bridge;

And then, after 1800k’s