BASH and back

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NIMMO

Race Dog
Reaction score
Bike
KTM 990 Adventure
BASH 2012

Due to many reasons the national BASH has somehow been the only BASH that fit into my calendar every year.  This year I was really looking forward to the trip as it was being held in a part of the country I have not seen nor ridden in.
This would be the year where I finally had to pack only the necessities as the HP forces you to reconsider what you really need.

Eventually I managed to pack light within reason.  Actually the toolkit weighed 4kg’s and the rest of the bag only 11kg’s.  :deal:

190920121167.jpg

KIT: Purely as a FYI and for my own future reference the load was:

3 man tent (PLENTY of space inside, for your kit and yourself)
ATG stretcher – a luxury but necessity due to the forecast of rain (who wants to lie / sleep in water?)  ???
Ice Breaker down sleeping bag (yes I know when it’s wet it’s wet, but just make sure it does not get wet)
Toiletries and micro towel (best investment yet)  ;)
Medical bag (bit of everything and Maalox as a BASH usually goes together with PLENTY of food)
Clothes: Jacket, tracksuit pants, cargo pants (lighter than denim), swimming shorts (they dry out quickly and wash easily), 2 thermal vests, 2 quick dry T’s, socks etc. Tekkies, tool kit, Leatherman, headlight, cap (which I forgot  :-\)
Riding kit, camelback, rain suit.

As time went by HP Freak PM’ed me and we made arrangements to meet up on Friday in Burgersdorp.
Both of us had limited time and could not get away before then. 
I was glad we decided to ride together as I would have done the trip solo, and things always tend to happen when you are alone.

190920121168.jpg

LOG1.jpg

I left Colesberg at 08H30 and had a leisurely ride to Burgersdorp.
I was just filling up when he also arrived.  We introduced ourselves and without much fan fare fell in the road.

East to Jamestown.

LOG2.jpg

By this time it was overcast and fairly windy, but that at least made the dust clear faster.  Within 5 km from Burgersdorp the scenery changed and mountains started to appear in the distance. 
They must have had some rain over the winter because all the dams were full.  The dust devils played on the road as we went along and showed us where the sandy stretches were, so there were no nasty surprises.

210920121179.jpg

210920121173.jpg

210920121182.jpg

This was my first trip with the HP and I could really start to get the feel of the bike with every km that passed. What an awesome machine.

210920121180.jpg

210920121181.jpg

We got to the N6 and swung north to get the turn off for the R344 to Lady Grey.

LOG3.jpg

210920121183.jpg

210920121185.jpg

210920121186.jpg

What a amazing part of the country.  The elevation changed constantly and the scenery was to quote HP Freak “Chomma dit is flippen mooi”
:imaposer:. The rain however stayed just ahead of us and at times gave us a good shower, just enough though not to stop and take out our rain suits. The wind was something else though by now it was blowing like crazy especially in the valleys. At the Clanville / Dordrecht junction we checked our fuel but decided not to fill up as these pumps were clearly for KTM riders being marked “premium”,  :peepwall: hence we pushed off again.

210920121188.jpg

210920121187.jpg

With every turn there was a change in the surrounding country side, valleys, streams, mountain roads – man it was great to be free from the everyday 9-5. 
It was on one of these mountain passes that I overcooked a turn and ended up heading to the  rock face, look up and pick your to go to spot and open up (thanks SGB  :thumleft: ), the HP did all the work and simply pulled my sorry little ass out of trouble while laying down a track you could not miss.  :eek:
  Man the money I spent on the Country Trax courses just gets cheaper and cheaper every time something like this happens.

210920121189.jpg

210920121190.jpg

210920121191.jpg

210920121192.jpg

210920121193.jpg

When I met up with HP Freak he told me he had had about the same encounter just a couple of turns later.
We finally got to the R58 and swung towards Barkley East to fill up. 

210920121194.jpg

The only thing about filling up the Markus tank was everything had to come off, a schlep but worth it…

210920121195.jpg

210920121196.jpg

We set off for the final odd 80km to the BASH site.  On the turn off to Reedsdale we found da Pig, a quick chat and off we went. 

LOG4.jpg

210920121198.jpg

210920121199.jpg

210920121201.jpg

210920121202.jpg

Somewhere along the way I stopped to take some pictures and noticed a KTM screaming up the mountain, the guy stopped and after some chit chat we set off.  It did not take long before he felt the need to pass. 
Man it was a pleasure to watch him take the corners.  :biggrin: ;D
Only later I found out it was Kamanya. RESPECT… :thumleft:

210920121203.jpg

210920121205.jpg

We made it to the BASH site and started putting up tents just as some drops started falling, the wind never let up all along the way.  Pitching the tents made for some quick camaraderie though.
Looking around it was clear the Mod’s picked a winner – the scenery was incredible :drif: , heaven must surely be a little like this… 

210920121207.jpg

220920121216.jpg

220920121218.jpg

After we unpacked we went to familiarize ourselves with the campsite.  The ablution facilities were EXCELENT and it was clear that hot water and clean ablutions would not be a factor the weekend.  FYI I don’t know of anyone that had a cold shower during the BASH.  :deal:

210920121208.jpg

We went to register and received our first infamous braai pack – as the past 2 years it was HUGE  :eek:.  At that stage I felt I could devour 2 of them though.  Brakkenjan, HP Freak, 007 and I were amongst the first braaiers – we must have all been hungry.  I tell you: “We ate like KINGS” the friendly people of Reedsdale provided the “additives” to finish off the few open spaces on the plate.  :drif: :drif: :drif:

210920121215.jpg

Again to the Mod’s GREAT job on the food – as expected 100%.  :thumleft:

After some more stories and meeting new people it was off to a well deserved HOT shower.  Heading back to the tent I got drenched again and had to dry myself for a second time before slipping into bed.  Then the heavens opened up, I woke up a couple of times just to check the tent but it stayed dry inside and I thanked myself for investing in a “branded” tent.  :mwink:

The following morning coffee was available at the shed and by then already some guys were hanging out clothes and sleeping bags – I was just glad it wasn’t me, while sipping my hot coffee…  :sip:

On my way back to the tent I passed Brakenjan and HP with his mud drenched clothes in tow to get it washed, the slippery mud slope down to the camping area took its first victim the previous night and to add insult to injury he did not even have a drink.  Where was the justice in this world?  >:D ;D

The rest of the day was spent looking up WD friends and people we had not met yet.

Superfoxi gave me a explanation as to how to properly set up the HP’s front suspension and after feeling the front suspension and taking time to explain the intricacies he concluded in his heavy German accent: “ Nooo, itcsh crap, just change it”  Mike nice meeting you.  :thumleft:

The 2 guys (brothers?) from Reedsdale put up a nice show on their plastics with some great wheelies and a bit of barrel racing.  All in all it was the longest laziest day I have had in a long, long time…

Thanks to everyone for all the conversations, stories, and obviously jokes – where do they find these?  :biggrin: ;D

I could not but help notice 007 with his camera during the day – I think he lived up to his name and must have some great shots  :thumleft:. It was only home that I realized we had “spoken” a couple of times on the forum.  Nice meeting you lumberjack…  :pot: :peepwall:

There should be a pre-BASH BASH – every time afterwards you only realize exactly who people are.

Nice to see ChrisL and Frannarossi too.  Funny when you mention his name people ask: “Who?”  ??? But when you mention the guy with the Canadian chick for an avatar – Oh yes (with a grin)  :biggrin: ;D ;D .  As Brakenjan mentioned the Canadian flag is only visible for like 0.00000008 of a second  :pot: :imaposer: – how many times do people watch her?  Who says she is Canadian and not Russian.

We spent most of Saturday debating these important facts of life….  BASH’s are great for this.

Snafu and I never got around to getting our commission from Michnus for singing his praises on the ATG bag and stretcher - next time :deal:

A lot of guys went for out rides during the day. 

The bash always delivers on some unique bikes and this one obviously belonged to a true adventurer, not only does he chop his own wood for his fires, he also puts it out…

220920121221.jpg

I could not help wonder what the rain sounded like in this tent the night before.

220920121220.jpg

Man we HP okes really know how to tough it

210920121214.jpg

Having all the bikes together sure looks good

220920121240.jpg

220920121222.jpg

220920121223.jpg

220920121224.jpg

220920121227.jpg

220920121228.jpg

Saturday night we again feasted as if the world was at its end and some guys even seemed to have heard that the liquor price was due to go up by as much as petrol…  :pot: :pot: I had a nice chat over dinner with Kamanya, man what an interesting, friendly guy.  I must admit it was nice to meet a guy with capability without the hot shot syndrome…  :thumleft:

Sunday morning I woke to find the inside of the tent frozen stiff. 
My towel left over the bike now had the form of a cane  :eek7: and stayed that way all the way up to the showers. 
If you recall I mentioned the awesomeness of this thing  :deal:.
I rinsed it with hot water, turned out the water and still managed to dry myself.  Definitely a good investment. :thumleft:

230920121242.jpg

230920121243.jpg

230920121245.jpg

After breakfast and saying our goodbyes to Superfoxi and 007 - HP Freak, Brakenjan and myself set off in Mpeka’s direction.

LOG5.jpg

The scenery was amazing.  A lot of tight corners, steep slopes and water drifts.  Biking heaven… 
Trying to catch up to HP Freak was the game for the day… :biggrin:. 
I made it very clear that I ride the HP at 50% of its capability but that I enjoy it 100%.  :biggrin: :biggrin:
For now "riding god" in these twisty mountain roads with ruts and bends and “lae water bruggies” that force you just to exit it with some air time.  I don’t know what it looked like but it felt GOOD

230920121249.jpg

230920121252.jpg

Somewhere on this section we passed a GS that went down, after stopping to ask if they needed anything (they were OK) the HP Freak and Nimmo game was on again. Whenever we grouped up together Brakenjan on his HUGE ADV was just behind us (the man kept me grounded as to my capabilities ::) ) – as I said 50% but 100% Grin.  :biggrin: ;D ;D ;D :biggrin:

230920121256.jpg

230920121258.jpg

At the border post we said our goodbyes and they split up to Zastron back home and I came home via Burgersdorp stopping only for fuel along the way. 

230920121260.jpg

LOG6.jpg

By midday I was home and after unpacking and having a nice shower hit the bed to make up for the sleep missed…

Route:

LOG7.jpg

Thanks again for the organizers for a great BASH at a superb venue, Hp Freak thanks for the ride there and also to Brakenjan on the way back see you next year…  :mwink: :thumleft: