Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: IN and OUT of SNOW VALLEY ~ 2012  (Read 6212 times)

Offline wildside

IN and OUT of SNOW VALLEY ~ 2012
« on: September 26, 2012, 10:44:39 am »
IN and OUT of SNOW VALLEY ~ 2012

YUP......this is another Snow Valley RR. There are a lot of photies here but it also includes our trip to and from the Bash and I’m also doing it for my reference........ so I do apologise if you find this RR a bit repetitive .

I would like to take this opportunity to thank IDR and all the other people involved for organising an enjoyable event at a beautiful venue. The food and drink was plentiful, ablutions clean and functioning properly and the people entertaining. All the ingredients for a good weekend.

Kingsley (Offside) and I snuck away from work and out of Howick at 3.00 pm to arrive in Matatiele at about 5.45 pm where we spent a comfortable night at the Rest Haven Guest Lodge.

At 9.00 am Friday we met up with ZooDog, DYL, and other Pietermaritzburg Wild Dog members which included IanB and WildDoc at the BP petrol station.

IanB and his group departed for a quick breakfast before heading off in the Mount Fletcher direction, while ourselves, ZooDog and DYL headed bravely for ONGELUKS NEK. After following our GPS for about 1 hr 45 and being buffeted by a relentless wind, we came to the conclusion that we were lost and had missed a turnoff somewhere and finally turned back to the Ongeluks Nek Nature Reserve. Sure enough.....we were meant to enter through here.

ZOODOG

LOST AND LOOKING FOR DIRECTIONS

FINALLY AT THE CORRECT SPOT

THE OFFENDING ROAD CURVING TO THE RIGHT IN THE DISTANCE

At the SA border Post we agreed to meet Zoo Dog and DYL  up at the top of the pass........well, that was not to be !!  We seemed to have difficulties as soon as we started up the pass as we encountered a section of track that had been washed away and not being familiar with this route we had no idea how long this would continue for. With a feeling of disappointment we decided to throw in the towel and head back in the direction of Mount Fletcher and approach Snow Valley via NAUDES NEK PASS.

SA BORDER POST ~ FOR SOME UNKNOWN REASON THERE IS NO LESOTHO BORDER POST HERE.

THIS WAS WHERE WE THREW IN THE TOWEL!

After passing Mount Fletcher we turned off onto a scenic gravel road  with only a fierce wind making it a demanding ride. By the time we got to the bottom of Naudes Nek Pass I had gotten over the disappointment of failing Ongeluks Nek as in front of us was another stunning pass with a user friendly road. The wind challenged us all the way up but I couldn’t resist stopping at the view point near the top and while Kingsley clung onto the bikes, preventing them from blowing over, I gaily took photos. Stopping here wasn’t such a good idea, as a few other Wild Dog members also discovered, because I was no sooner back on my bike and the wind blew both bike and myself completely over. Apparently we were dealing with a 71 km/hr wind !!!

THE VIEW POINT IS UP NEAR THE SNOW PATCH

KINGSLEY HANGING ON TO THE BIKES.

BLOWN OVER !

ON OUR WAY DOWN WITH BOBBEJANSKOP IN THE BACKGROUND.

We eventually descended the pass and arrived at Rhodes for a much needed rest. Now this little village is a place lost in time with its quaint little dwellings, old fashion tills and ticki box.

It was with great relief that we arrived at Snow Valley half an hour before sunset. It’s set at the base of some spectacular mountains and edging the perimeter of a bright green field was a colourful splash of already pitched tents.

"Heading out to where pavement turns to sand"
                                                         Neil Young

RIDE REPORTS:
*Namibian Meander 2009 * Botswana 09 *A(nother) Sani Sunday * Saturday Ride Fever * Welcome to the Wildcoast * Riding the Rift ~ East Africa 2011 * In and out of Snow Valley * Wildsides ride to the Bash 'n back *  Bali with my Baby~2013  * Unwrapping the Cape for Christmas~2015 * Back to Bots~Kubu Island @ High Tide 2016 * A Piece of Pondoland~2018 *Squaring the Circle

Offline Firecoast

• Besempilot!
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: KTM 640 Adventure
  • Mommy Fairy :)
Re: IN and OUT of SNOW VALLEY ~ 2012
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 11:02:53 am »
Subscribe!!!
"Don't let your ice cream melt while you're counting somebody else's sprinkles."

Offline ChrisL - DUSTRIDERS

• Forum Vendor
  • Castrated Dog
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS
    • dustriders.co.za
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 11:16:21 am »
It was great meeting you both :thumleft:
MOTORCYCLE ACCESSORIES RETAILER
info@dustriders.co.za
ENDURISTAN SOFTLUGGAGE IMPORTER
www.dustriders.co.za

Offline Wooly Bugger

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Buell Ulysses XB12
  • DILLIGAF?
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 11:18:07 am »
 :thumleft:

Offline Hentie @ Riders

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 11:18:55 am »
 :thumleft:

Offline wildside

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 11:22:00 am »

In no time we were being helped to pitch our tent by a delightful lady called Jinx (Happyfeet) and another chap who had taken a slow 6 day ride up from Beaufort West.....I think ( wish I could remember your name). This was a really good start to a super weekend.......thanks to you both.

Well it didn’t take long and the heavens opened and proceeded to wet the contents of our tent, due to a flap being left open, however, it didn’t dampen any ones spirits. We all enjoyed a good evening catching up with old friends and making new ones. I had been looking forward to meeting up with Schalk  and Elsebie (Mrs. Michnus) whose  ride reports have been such an inspiration to me. It was great meeting both of you and look forward to sharing  stories of future travels.

SCHALK,ELSIBIE (Mrs. Michnus) AND MYSELF

KEVIN (Outthere), SARAH AND ALAN - FROM HOWICK.

HILLCREST CROWD ~INCLUDING BADGER

IANB AND HIS PIETERMARITZBURG CROWD

Saturday was a relaxing day with most Wild dogs drying out their wet bedding, mattresses and clothing while others took themselves off on out rides to various surrounding areas. We took a walk around checking out the various bikes and chatting to other members.

SOME PEOPLE CAMPED IN STYLE

DRYING OUT

DYL AND ZOODOGS CAMP

DION FROM HOWICK

ATTEMPTING TO SEW UP A TORN TENT

MARITZ BOASTING A NEW ORANGE TENT

SCHALK DRYING OUT HIS BEDDING

THE CHAP ON THE LEFT WAS THE ONE WHO HELPED US PITCH OUR TENT

THERE WERE SOME THIRSTY DOGS THERE.

Neil Young

RIDE REPORTS:
*Namibian Meander 2009 * Botswana 09 *A(nother) Sani Sunday * Saturday Ride Fever * Welcome to the Wildcoast * Riding the Rift ~ East Africa 2011 * In and out of Snow Valley * Wildsides ride to the Bash 'n back *  Bali with my Baby~2013  * Unwrapping the Cape for Christmas~2015 * Back to Bots~Kubu Island @ High Tide 2016 * A Piece of Pondoland~2018 *Squaring the Circle

Offline wildside

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 11:46:41 am »

By late afternoon the skies started to clear although many dogs were  clearly already under the weather and this made for a loud festive Saturday night and partying continued into the early hours of the morning. A temperature of -7 degrees made for a very chilly sleepless night, even the extra socks, beanie and gloves didn’t help much. Sunday morning was a clear crisp start to a most stunning ride home. Packing up started early with Wild dogs heading off back home in various directions.

We had made arrangements with Outthere ( Kevin and Sarah) and JonW ( John) to head back to KZN via  LUNDEANS PASS , TELLE BRIDGE and out at ONGELUKS NEK ( I have to ride this pass!!). They were crossing over into Lesotho, avoiding border posts, and were going to meet us at the Mt.Moorosi Cottage turnoff ( about 58km from the border post) at 11 am. We said our farewells and departed at 8 am and enjoyed a spectacular ride up and down Lundeans Pass and rode along a river that separated us from Lesotho. Having no wind to contend with and a good gravel road made for easy riding all the way to the border post and up into Lesotho.

TELLE BRIDGE BORDER POST

We had some amazing views of the Senqu/Orange River that snaked its way through the valleys. As planned we met up with Kevin, Sarah and John and turned off at the Mt. Moorosi Cottage turnoff.

For the next 4 hrs we weaved our way down into the valleys, along narrow roads hugging and crossing the Quthing river and zig-zagging our way up out of the valleys which offered spectacular views of a Lesotho unknown to both of us. I was so bowled over by the unusual beauty of this area.

OUTTHERE GIVING A GOOD DISPLAY

OUTTHERE GIVING US ANOTHER GOOD SHOW....THIS TIME ON A SLIPPERY SURFACE!

APPROACHING LETSIE DAM.

We enjoyed a late lunch break at the wall of the lovely Letsie Dam and shortly after this we were at the top of Ongeluks Nek Pass.

RIVER CROSSING AT THE WALL.

KEVIN AND SARAH

Heading down the pass, well aware that I failed on the up run, I was more than a little anxious. All went well but I still managed to drop my bike in almost the same spot as when coming up.......talk about a sense of déjà vu. With a little pick up and push I managed to get going again and was soon joining the rest of the crowd at the SA Border Post, chalking up another “must do pass”........ albeit in the wrong direction.

THE GREEN ROOVES ARE THE SA BORDER POST

Thanks to the Midlands Dogs for the chaperone.....without you guys it wouldn’t have happened for us.

Looking forward to the next get-together....until then ride safely. :ricky:

Neil Young

RIDE REPORTS:

Offline Wooly Bugger

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: Buell Ulysses XB12
  • DILLIGAF?
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 12:03:20 pm »
well done!

Offline wildside

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 12:04:09 pm »

SORRY......FORGOT TO PUT THIS PICTURE IN.

Neil Young

RIDE REPORTS:

Offline Groenie

• Forum Vendor
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • Ons gaan nou ry
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2012, 12:04:48 pm »
Cool!
Don't look back, that's not where you're going.

Offline IRISH

• Bike: Honda TransAlp XL700V
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2012, 12:20:38 pm »
Stunning pics. Thanks for posting.

Offline schalk vd merwe

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2012, 01:00:21 pm »
Nice RR and nice meeting you two as last, till next time thanks Schalk.
1/The only way to get experience is to get experience-Schalk                
2/Ride Reports>Long Tours>Africa Tour To The Equator And Back In 40 Days
3/A stranger is just a friend you have not met yet
4/Whatever you vividly imagine, ardently desire, sincerely believe in and enthusiastically act upon must come to past-Paul J Mayer
5/Use the rocks in the your way to build stepping stones-Herman Zapp

Offline Dirty Boy

• Bike: BMW R1150GS Adventure
  • Son, thats not how I showed you......
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2012, 01:23:38 pm »
Great RR and pics, thank you
Can the owner of this fine needlework please explain the surgical gloves ?    ;D

Offline IceCreamMan

• Pawn star
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Triumph (all models)
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2012, 01:31:14 pm »
Can the owner of this fine needlework please explain the surgical gloves ?    ;D

indeed yes  ;D  at this point i was glueing the flysheet together prior to sewing it and did not want the glue on the delicate skin of my hands so donned the gloves ......  :biggrin:

bad move on my part all round , if it were not for the demon rum i would not have had to fix my tent at all

Awesome pics these...what sort of camera is it?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 01:32:37 pm by IceCreamMan »
Swim.Bike.Run.Eat.Sleep

Offline Offside

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2012, 01:37:37 pm »
Wanna share the story of the hole in the tent :imaposer:

Offline Bashplate

• Bike: KTM 950 Adventure
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2012, 01:38:22 pm »
Thanks for the share, awesome...  :thumleft: :thumleft: :thumleft:

Offline ktmmer

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2012, 01:43:45 pm »
He had just completed the last prostate exam and had to sew his tent urgently   :imaposer:  :imaposer:

Howzit Ollie  :thumleft:

Offline Swart Baard

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2012, 02:26:56 pm »
Really awesome photo's  :thumleft:

You sure captured all the thrills and spills  :ricky:
Mens leef net een keer. Doen dit nou of jy kry dalk nie later kans om dit te doen nie.

Offline wildside

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2012, 03:23:22 pm »
Can the owner of this fine needlework please explain the surgical gloves ?    ;D

indeed yes  ;D  at this point i was glueing the flysheet together prior to sewing it and did not want the glue on the delicate skin of my hands so donned the gloves ......  :biggrin:

bad move on my part all round , if it were not for the demon rum i would not have had to fix my tent at all

Awesome pics these...what sort of camera is it?

Come on now IceCream Man.......the Wild dog members are wanting an explanation as to WHY the tent was cut in the first place. I promised that I wouldn't tell. :imaposer:

It's a super little Pentax Optio RZ10 Camera.
                                                         Neil Young

RIDE REPORTS:

Offline spoedvark

• Forum Whore
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2012, 08:30:34 pm »
Looked good! Thanks for sharing.
Go Big!
or
Go Home!!!!
Previous bikes:
Yamaha XS 400 Special Kawasaki ZX 10 Yamaha XT 550 BMW 650 GS BMW 1200 GS KEEP THE RUBBER DUSTY!!!!