Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: Freakreport 2007 GAGSC  (Read 2990 times)

Offline freakonaleashh

• Bike: BMW R1200GS HP2
  • RIDE,RACE,PLAY!
Freakreport 2007 GAGSC
« on: October 08, 2007, 09:00:33 am »
I have been trying to write my bit on the GAGSC.

http://www.bmwmotorcycleclubcape.co.za/gagsc-tour#comment-1454

Or look further down the page, thnx for the heads up Topbox, the joys of cut & paste. ::)

I am doing  it bit by bit as I get time.

Enjoy.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 12:29:05 pm by freakonaleashh »
I RIDE THEREFORE I AM!

Offline Mikedabike

• Bike: BMW R1200GS
Re: Freakreport 2007 GAGSC
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 10:23:49 am »
EEEiish Freak.....what you doing to that baby?????
"if your life were to flash before your eyes make sure it is worth watching"

Offline freakonaleashh

• RIDE,RACE,PLAY!
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 10:32:37 am »
Howzeeeeeet Mike

Klikadalinka, and all will be revealed.
I RIDE THEREFORE I AM!

Offline topbox

• Forum Vendor
    • Adventure Rider
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 10:33:36 am »
ctrl - c copy
ctrl - v paste
[size=7.5pt]www.advrider.co.za [/size]

Kickstarting an XR is like a raindance, once you know the secret ritual you can make it rain on command.
 R1200GS, XR650R, XT500, WR450, XR250 BAJA, CT110

Offline Sláinte Mhaith

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 10:43:02 am »
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 10:52:53 am by Sláinte Mhaith »

shark_za

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 12:13:03 pm »
The pic above, I see you went to Sexpo.

Offline freakonaleashh

• RIDE,RACE,PLAY!
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007, 12:20:36 pm »
Freakreport GAGSC

Freakreport GAGSC 08

The idea this year was to ride to the GAGSC with Ruan and Flipper, in theory this was good, in theory only.
The day I was gonna leave I ran back and forth to the dealership and assisted clients, eventually I phoned Wayne, "boss you still have some space on the trailer?"
Yes I do, great that me soft seat pink route booked.

Next day myself ,Wayne and Eddie depart for Papkuilsfontein with me curled up on the backseat of the doublecab like a labrador pup, bliss.

On arrival we park up at the workshop where we find Shane and Obed hard at work changing tyres and sorting out minor problems. The first casualty already stands in the barn being used, one forlorn looking Adventure, I know from experience more will follow.
As I wait for Shane them to fit my Maxxis IT Desserts another 12GS comes in on a trailer , sump smashed on a rock, Challenge over before it started, bad roads 2 GAGSC 0.

We decide to turn Freakonaleash into a swinger to speed up the tyre change, dont do this at home, dont even try it with anything 1200.Freakswinger

After I load go to campsite ,set up my tent, trade a few hows our mothers, throw food down my neck, first route brief by Deon Meyer aka "Africa is not for sissies" "Its not a race" Sorry didnt hear that last comment Mr Meyer.

Of to bed /tent , give bike last going over in sleepingbag, head down, is he sun up yet? I WANNA RIDE!!!!!

Day 1

RED: Up at 04:44, gotta ride ,gotta ride, k@k its still dark.The camp is quiet, should I start Freakonaleash? that will end it.
Wait wait there is life soft stirring and farts WAKE UP!!

Finally ready to roll, nice looking bunch, not here for nice, here for fast red riding.
Of we go, I decide to change my gameplan, ok cool, this year I will wait and help, oh my.

The group myself , Ruan , Flipper, Nicky & Hugo Russouw, Paul, Dewalt, Bob (hope I remembered everybody.
Muddy grass with some water deep ruts 1st. (no worries)
Into the koppies single and doubletrack, the pace is mellow (ok slow) as we start climbing Nicky blows a front on a sharp rock, we stop and change, the group moves on.

I RIDE THEREFORE I AM!

I RIDE THEREFORE I AM!

Offline freakonaleashh

• RIDE,RACE,PLAY!
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2007, 01:30:08 pm »
The ride continues, now the
The ride continues, now the steep climbs, no problems here although at times I am next to the bike and not on it, Paul on the 1200GS is struggling(see pics Flipper posted "hell run") With some pushing and shoving we all make it to the top, the rest of the ascent to the platue is technical but uneventfull.
The ride opens up flat terrain sand and the odd washout or ditch the speed comes up a bit. On a farmtrack gravel I notice big speedbummps built for controlling erosion ,heeltyd speeltyd , let the group by and wait, 1st one 2nd gear as a test, boing whoopee, the next 10 or so 3rd gear hard and fast big air every time. Stopping at the workshop which pass on the way to the main route I notice the bolts have come of the fuel carrier rack ooops,( wonder what could have caused that?)
I RIDE THEREFORE I AM!

« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 01:43:41 pm by freakonaleashh »
I RIDE THEREFORE I AM!

Offline freakonaleashh

• RIDE,RACE,PLAY!
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2007, 05:00:46 pm »
The fever sets in

as the group realizes that we lost a lot of time through the first stage and as we hit open gravel towards Clainwilliam part of the group speeds up, wont work, my tire has to last three days(watch me eat these words shortly) and I do fast riding not manic disorder, I stop as we are about to descend Botterberg pass( I think) Flipper pulls up and I ask him to take a photo.
Are you not in a rush he asks me, no Ill ride with you I answer, he looks puzzled, I understand his thoughts, Freak not in a rush?

So I hang with Flipper and we ride together all the way to Clainwilliam ,the rest of the group are way ahead, as we enter town they are parked at a garage fueled taking in some fluids.
I fuel, walk into the cafe get stuff and throw it down my hole, as I walk out the group is getting ready to leave, so I sit down and eat, they leave me and Flipper.
We finish and head through town where we pick up gravel road to the next the special stage.

About 7kms out Flipper pulls up with a flat front, the spare tube is with the main group ,bummer. We wait and try get the front wheel of but one of the release bolts starts to round its head and wont come loose, someone will come.

I notice a message on Flippers helmet, whats this then?
My wife put it there, she loves me!
(Flippers love note as per pic /Excuse the expletive, just imagine you can hear a sensor board beep when you

I decide to go back to town to find a 7mm socket and a tube and leave at Freakspeed blowing past Wayne and Eddie coming the other way (they got going after us)with the wire at full stretch in top gear. Man did they look confused.

In town I start searching , socket no problem, tube mmmmmmm.
On my 5th try an elderly lady in a bicycle shop tells me she doesnt know what I need "maar krap maar seunie".
10 minutes later I am the proud owner of a Kenda 21" motorcycle tube and back on the wire to Flipper.

To be continued

I RIDE THEREFORE I AM!

« Last Edit: October 08, 2007, 05:09:54 pm by freakonaleashh »
I RIDE THEREFORE I AM!

Offline buzzlightyear

• I'm Buzz Lightyear. I come in peace.
  • Forum Whore
  • Bike: Honda CRF-1000L Africa Twin
  • To infinity and beyond
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2007, 05:56:04 pm »
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Offline topbox

• Forum Vendor
    • Adventure Rider
[size=7.5pt]www.advrider.co.za [/size]

Kickstarting an XR is like a raindance, once you know the secret ritual you can make it rain on command.
 R1200GS, XR650R, XT500, WR450, XR250 BAJA, CT110

Offline freakonaleashh

• RIDE,RACE,PLAY!
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2007, 05:59:33 pm »
The ride continues Thnx

The ride continues

Thnx Flipper, I did it and I will do it again with pleasure.

During the time that we waited the sweaper team came by and informed us that time had caught up with us, we were busy with the wheel at the time and the message they gave me was pretty clear, "We know you, if you go in you are on your own ,if you go down we will come look for you in the morning" O fook not good.

They had called a recovery for Flipper so as one of the instructors/sweepers was going back to camp it was suggested I should ride with him, mmmmmm ok.

Of we go, the dude on the HP2 goes first I tuck in on his backwheel, shortly he ups the pace ,then again ,then again, the invisible bungee tightens but wont stretch.
The 650 is like a naughty foxterrier with its fave toy , wont let go wont back of, in this case the 3 metres separating front and back wheel. Im having fun!!

Suddenly we come upon the recovery vehicle and haul up. Lo and behold there is no space for Flippers bike we so I turn back for Flipper.
Get there finish changing tube and decide to ride the route in reverse back to camp, stopping at the Clainwilliam Hotel for a much needed frosty.

Out the back of town we stop on top of the first pass quickly (having a frosty does this to you).
Two HP2 blow past at speed and I go slightly squint eyed, a gentleman with Challenge stops for a chat, 1 2 3 Xchallenges fly past heads down.

I am shaking like a wet dog the Freak wants out, Flipper eyeballs me, "you can go if you want" , no I am cool, dammit stop shaking!!

We ride of first few turns nearly on the horizon I see the dust trails from the HPs,
I RIDE THEREFORE I AM!

Offline freakonaleashh

• RIDE,RACE,PLAY!
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2007, 07:21:10 pm »
GAGSC 07 Day 1

GAGSC 07 Day 1 end.

We ride of first few turns nearly on the horizon I see the dust trails from the HPs, the three 650s about halfway in between ,I feel the calm spread over me because I am in complete control.

And then the Freak came out to play.

At the time I was running a little to Flippers rear so as I was up to his rear he glanced back knowingly, I am sure there was a big grin on his face as I blew past on the outside standing up at full lock, I have yet to find a way to describe how I do turns at speed (maybe one of you guys who has seen can oblige).

In short I pretty much back in /slide in to the turn with the bike cranked up in top and exit about the same way still going sideways, my weight is carried far over the front and steering is done via the footpegs and backwheel.

I pulled the cable tight and left it there, now I was really having fun. Wide gravel road with riverbed G outs, (them big dip things) that eat R1200GS bashplates and sumps.

The first stretch on my own just blasting railling sliding flat out everywhere, I well know what is happening to the rear tyre , I just dont care at this stage. After a while (time and distance had been irrelevant but I think I had covered quiete some distance in a short space of time)I caught up with the other X Challenges, they were holding fair speed and riding abreast of each other.

Wait,wait, wait one looks back, they all look back,huh?
The pace hots up ,I politely hold position as they stay in formation, there is no way past without making it messy.
We are now running 3/4 pace and I am eating rocks big time, sokay.
After a few turns I show a little front fender, the two after I do it again, each time to a different oke trying to see who whill give me some room, no can do, the formation stays rigid.

I am getting tired of being pestered by stones so as we crest a small rise I do the eyeball and pick my spot, a sharpening left with a G out as you enter.

I know whats next and I force the pace into the turn ,cross up and go big. As the front bike run in suspension squashes hard and stands up again leaving the wheels light, I bang into the G while closing hard the impact is pretty nasty but I was expecting it and I stay pinned, the outside two run wide having to work to stop tangling with each other.

I am through the gap wire down, tucking in low to maximise my velocity and just leaving the throttle at flat rattle.
After three more turns they realize I am a sick puppy and let me be.

Botterberg pass in reverse was wild.

On the plateu I chase down the HPs, I cannot straightline speed with them so I use the turns and G outs to gain ground. I pass them on one of the tighter turns and hammer on. One of the HPs tucks in to my right and make myself small and work with the speed, shutting down is not an option.

On the turns I gain ,on the straights he catches up, the Xs digital jumps between 165 & 175 (sry Jabu its only a 650 single), cant shake him so lets play. As I crest of the next G out I stand and pull on the bars, up she comes on the
the backwheel for some distance till the momentum sucks the wheel down or the terrain enforces change.

My Hp friend was firstly stunned, shocked, shaking his head and then I could see him laughing even with the helmet on.
We burned the distance back to camp quickly, on arrival I pulled in at Shane and Obed at the workshop as I always do ,gave a wave and cruised down to my tent.

I was nervous about the state of my back tyre and amazed that only three nobs had ripped of. Three cheers for Maxxis Dessert IT, the tyre kept impressing me till the end of the trip.

By this time walking becomes problematic for me as two years ago I was badly damaged when a drunk driver hit me while on a bike, (nine months to walk again, only six to ride).
So I had a few drinks, thnx to those who put a cold one in my hand or in front of me, much appreciated, ate ,washed , treated my damaged bits and crawled in.

Freakonaleash was snoring happily at the entrance of the tent and the last thing I heard before my lights went out was.

"Ill call you just before the sun comes up. "

Anyone wanna hear about day two?

Eddie was fast, real fast!

I RIDE THEREFORE I AM!

I RIDE THEREFORE I AM!

Offline freakonaleashh

• RIDE,RACE,PLAY!
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2007, 07:32:47 pm »
The pic above, I see you went to Sexpo.

Help me with this one pls Shark
I RIDE THEREFORE I AM!

Offline freakonaleashh

• RIDE,RACE,PLAY!
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2007, 08:40:22 am »
These were sent to me , they are on facebook which I cannot access.

Can anyone resize the postage stamps pls?
I RIDE THEREFORE I AM!

Offline freakonaleashh

• RIDE,RACE,PLAY!
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2007, 08:45:02 am »
I RIDE THEREFORE I AM!

Offline Mikedabike

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2007, 09:30:13 am »
Anyone wanna hear about day two?
Eddie was fast, real fast!
I RIDE THEREFORE I AM!

Freak I dig your style man..YYYEEEAAAAHAH..now i really wanna hear about DAY2 ???  ???  ???

Offline Veemax

• Bike: Suzuki DR650
  • Real adventure bikes weigh < 150 kg
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2007, 12:37:33 pm »
Oy Vay

I bought a KTM950 from this nutter back in 2003. I still thank him for saving me from 3 years of riding those puke yellow mandarin fat slow bikes with sticky-out glove-warmer thingies on the side. He was nuts then, and he's nuts now. I wonder if I should introduce him to Gyro helicopters ? Imagine chaos in 3 dimensions instead of 2 !!!! >:D

(Tiger1050/DR650SE/DR650ES/VS800/VZ800/LS650/XLX350R/GN400-tracker/YZX200)

Who are we, but to provide entertainment for our neighbours? - Jane Austen

Offline freakonaleashh

• RIDE,RACE,PLAY!
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2007, 02:04:32 pm »
 JK I presume?
I RIDE THEREFORE I AM!

Offline Mikedabike

« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2007, 03:02:05 pm »
Freak...tick tock....where is Part 2????????????????????????????????????????
 ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)  ::)   ::)   ::)   ::)   ::)   ::)   ::)   ::)   ::)   ::)   ::)   ::)   ::)   ::)   ::)   ::)  ::)