Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: KTM 690 for touring  (Read 5040 times)

Offline NielGS

• Bike: KTM 690 Adventure
Re: KTM 690 for touring
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2013, 08:57:56 am »
@ Sat Diver

The frame work for the luggage is actually attached to the bikes frame, there is not much weight on the sub frame at all. So bags can take a bit of weight i guess. The system is the same as Touratec's...

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'." - Yoda

Offline uncaged

• Bike: NER-A-CAR
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2013, 12:46:43 pm »
 :happy1:

Offline Berg Man

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2013, 03:20:17 pm »
I have done almost 10 000km in the 5 months I've had my bike. Im very happy with it as a "rough" tourer. i have just added the luggage racks and crash bars to the bike. the extra fuel tanks are a must! don't bother with the seat, if your ass is hurting you are riding on too much tar! If you buy one talk to Michael Stein at Dual Purpose Adventures 082 897 0220. He did my Luggage racks, Soft Bags, Sump Guard and Crash Bars.
That's a good looking bike

Offline NielGS

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2013, 04:50:05 pm »
Thanks BergMan!

Here is a front view, to see how the crash bars and luggage racks mount...

Offline Berg Man

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2013, 04:58:31 pm »
Nice

Offline sigmund freud

« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2013, 11:14:40 pm »
@NielGS can you give me more pics of your tale plate without luggage?
Groet Hans

Offline sigmund freud

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2013, 11:24:20 pm »
I'm thinking of getting a KTM 690. What are the pro's and cons for using this bike for touring? Any accessories that should be added to make it more long distance friendly?

Arie Fourie
*saffarie tank
* New Lynx Fairing for the KTM 690 from Britannia Composites
*Off Road Foot Pegs
*Soft Luggage Racks
*Garmin gps "oregon"or "GPSMAP® 62st"

Offline NielGS

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2013, 08:37:53 am »
Pic of the tail plate...

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S33°54.712 E018°28.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2013, 09:02:34 am »
Hi Neil

Are you in AUSTRALIA at the moment?

Cos' your pictures are upside down!  :biggrin:

I sell universal luggage plates, and they will fit the 690..., they are 6mm Aluminium, powder-coated, any colour.
Cheers
Chris
Chris & Team 021 510 6455 S33°54.712 E018°28.208

MARINE DRIVE, into NEPTUNE street, 2nd left into SHROPSHIRE street, on the right hand side.
021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za sales@flyingbrick.co.za  support@flyingbrick.co.za
S33°54.712 E018°28.208

Offline sigmund freud

« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2013, 11:17:42 am »
@zebra what is the prize for this piece of art?
Groet Hans

Offline zebra - Flying Brick

• Forum Vendor: Flying Brick Motorcycle Accessories 021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za
  • Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: BMW (all models)
  • 8 Shropshire St, P Eiland S33°54.712 E018°28.208
    • [b]-Flying Brick- Motorcycle Accessories[/b]
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2013, 11:20:49 am »
@zebra what is the prize for this piece of art?
Groet Hans
R795

thanks
Chris
Chris & Team 021 510 6455 S33°54.712 E018°28.208

MARINE DRIVE, into NEPTUNE street, 2nd left into SHROPSHIRE street, on the right hand side.
021 510 6455 info@flyingbrick.co.za sales@flyingbrick.co.za  support@flyingbrick.co.za
S33°54.712 E018°28.208

Offline NielGS

« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2013, 08:47:36 am »
@Zebra

Lol! damn iPad!

this should be better...

Offline Roadcat

« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2013, 05:55:34 pm »
I'm thinking of getting a KTM 690. What are the pro's and cons for using this bike for touring? Any accessories that should be added to make it more long distance friendly?

Arie Fourie

Only just found this thread, I use my 690 for touring. Have done several longish trips, including through France down to Spain twice and several trips to France and Holland. Here's what I did to make my 690 suitable (in the order that they were done):

Replaced the crappy plastic belly pan with a decent alli one
Put on a touring screen from a 690SM
Made a little plastic screen that clips on top of the touring screen to push the wind over my helmet
Added a RAM mount for my GPS
Added a tooltube
Added a waterproof cigarette lighter for charging GPS
Added pannier racks that I bought off ebay
Completely rebuilt the saddle (surprisingly easy and cheap to do)
Ripped out the whole airbox when I discovered how much dirt it was letting through and replaced it with an S&N air-filter (bike sounds delicious now)
Added vibranators to the handlebars to cut the vibrations and make my mirrors useable
Modified the pannier rack to take soft luggage.

Current mods that are in the pipeline or on my workbench:
Building a homemade rear-rack (just need to get it powder-coated now)
Making some soft panniers to replace the alli boxes I currently use
Adding ROX anti-vibration risers to the handlebars
Building a toolbox area under the seat to fit in the gap where the airbox used to be
Probably going to try and add some rubber inserts to the footpegs to cut vibrations

I'm really happy with the bike as it currently is, the only thing missing is a longer range, but for the price of extra fuel tanks I'll just strap a 5 litre jerrycan on the back instead!

I don't like morning people... in fact I don't like mornings, or people!

KTM 690 Enduro
Yamaha XT500 (Undergoing surgery)

Offline 777

• Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2013, 08:52:59 pm »

Arie Fourie

Only just found this thread, I use my 690 for touring. Have done several longish trips, including through France down to Spain twice and several trips to France and Holland. Here's what I did to make my 690 suitable (in the order that they were done):

Replaced the crappy plastic belly pan with a decent alli one
Put on a touring screen from a 690SM
Made a little plastic screen that clips on top of the touring screen to push the wind over my helmet
Added a RAM mount for my GPS
Added a tooltube
Added a waterproof cigarette lighter for charging GPS
Added pannier racks that I bought off ebay
Completely rebuilt the saddle (surprisingly easy and cheap to do)
Ripped out the whole airbox when I discovered how much dirt it was letting through and replaced it with an S&N air-filter (bike sounds delicious now)
Added vibranators to the handlebars to cut the vibrations and make my mirrors useable
Modified the pannier rack to take soft luggage.

Current mods that are in the pipeline or on my workbench:
Building a homemade rear-rack (just need to get it powder-coated now)
Making some soft panniers to replace the alli boxes I currently use
Adding ROX anti-vibration risers to the handlebars
Building a toolbox area under the seat to fit in the gap where the airbox used to be
Probably going to try and add some rubber inserts to the footpegs to cut vibrations

I'm really happy with the bike as it currently is, the only thing missing is a longer range, but for the price of extra fuel tanks I'll just strap a 5 litre jerrycan on the back instead!

Nice Mods, were about did you mount your Tool tube?
TS 50- Gave away
RM 125- Not sure where it is.
IT 200- Sold.
XT 550- Sold.
CR 250-Sold. RMX 250-Sold WR 250-Sold. CFR 450x-Sold. CRF 250x-Sold. XT 660R- Sold KTM 690 Enduro- Alfie Cox Special Edition .Honda XR 650L., WR450, Current bikes, KTM 500 Six Days and BMW 800GS

Offline Teapot

• "Ride long Live forever"
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • "RIDE LONG AND LIVE FOREVER"
    • http://www.digitalrealitydesigns.yolasite.com
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2013, 09:04:33 pm »
I ride a Dakar. Sorry for the hijack guys.  I know its not at all like the 690 and its a BM. and after reading from you guys that its a great tourer as well then I definitely want one. My questions are.  what is it like compared to the 990? and going from a dakar. Also by the time I have the moola for one there won't be many left and now that KTM aren't making them any more. Will they still make the 690 Rally with bigger tank and rally fairing? I really like the Oryx kit.
"FALL DOWN 7, STAND UP 8."
"NEVER GIVE UP, NEVER SAY DIE!"

Offline Roadcat

« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2013, 10:25:04 pm »
I ride a Dakar. Sorry for the hijack guys.  I know its not at all like the 690 and its a BM. and after reading from you guys that its a great tourer as well then I definitely want one. My questions are.  what is it like compared to the 990? and going from a dakar. Also by the time I have the moola for one there won't be many left and now that KTM aren't making them any more. Will they still make the 690 Rally with bigger tank and rally fairing? I really like the Oryx kit.

The tooltube is connected to the top of the bellypan. It gets the odd stone kicked up against it, but they're really tough. I just think of it as being protection for the radiator as I've never had a stone kicked up that's connected the rad, no matter how hard I ride.

KTM 690 Enduro

Offline Roadcat

« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2013, 10:36:16 pm »

They're very different bikes. I've trashed a Dak because I rode it like my KTM. The Dak is a better road bike, no doubt about it, but considerably underpowered compared to the 690.

I rode a Dak in Namibia a couple of years ago just after very heavy rains, hit a big patch of soft sand from a river that broke it's banks and reacted like I was riding the 690 - threw my weight backwards and opened the throttle. On the 690 the wheel would have pointed at the sky if I did that, but on the Beemer the gearing was completely different and it just didn't have the power where I needed it. End result I high-sided the bike, stuffed up my teeth, trashed the front-end of the bike and was very, very lucky to walk away from the accident.

I'd say if you use the Dak on tarmac mostly stick with it - it's much more long distance friendly out the box than the KTM will ever be. The KTM is much more dirt orientated and as such will always be a comprimise on tar, no matter what you do. But if you want to ride dirt with a massive grin upgrade to a 690. I've owned almost 20 bikes in my life and the only 2 that I haven't changed have been an XT500 and my 690 - they both make me smile.

KTM 690 Enduro

Offline Teapot

• "Ride long Live forever"
  • Bike: BMW F650GS / Dakar
  • "RIDE LONG AND LIVE FOREVER"
    • http://www.digitalrealitydesigns.yolasite.com
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2013, 11:37:03 pm »
Roadcat do you work for KTM. Haha. Because now I'm sold. Yeah no doubt the dakar is great for tar and for some gravel as well and I've gotten plenty miles of smiles. Once I get a 690 ill keep my Dakar for commuting. I just love gravel travel but I don't feel the confidence on it like I should. Also because of my lack of experience and my next cash injection is to do a course.
:thumleft:
But yes from the guys I've spoken too they reckon the KTM is the best to upgrade too.
Are they as reliable?
Besides I read that guys spend plenty to upgrade suspension etc to get there Dakars almost close to a KTM.
That rotax engine is a tank. 
"FALL DOWN 7, STAND UP 8."
"NEVER GIVE UP, NEVER SAY DIE!"

Offline 777

• Bike: BMW F800GS
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2013, 07:44:25 am »

The tooltube is connected to the top of the bellypan. It gets the odd stone kicked up against it, but they're really tough. I just think of it as being protection for the radiator as I've never had a stone kicked up that's connected the rad, no matter how hard I ride.
Any chance of a pic, i put min eon the front of belly pan under header pipe but melted in min, then i put it in the side of the engine but stil not happy?
TS 50- Gave away
RM 125- Not sure where it is.
IT 200- Sold.
XT 550- Sold.
CR 250-Sold. RMX 250-Sold WR 250-Sold. CFR 450x-Sold. CRF 250x-Sold. XT 660R- Sold KTM 690 Enduro- Alfie Cox Special Edition .Honda XR 650L., WR450, Current bikes, KTM 500 Six Days and BMW 800GS

Offline Roadcat

« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2013, 08:00:48 am »
Sure, I'll snap one later for you.

KTM 690 Enduro