Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

Author Topic: DRZ400: Clean your oil screen  (Read 316 times)

Offline Torque Curve

• Bike: AJS (all models)
DRZ400: Clean your oil screen
« on: September 27, 2012, 10:30:52 pm »
I got round to flushing the frame of any debris left over from the cam seizure. The oil screen screws into the frame next to the frame oil drain plug. Much was my surprise at all the metal particles caught here! I flushed the frame with several litres of parafine until I was satisfied that no particles were being wash out anymore.

I'll now check it at a regular basis to get warning of serious component wear. When seriously looking to buy a used bike again it is certainly worth having a look here for signs of serious wear inside the motor.

“Sometimes it's a little better to travel than to arrive”
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values

Offline Skipskop

• Bike: Kawasaki KLR 650
  • ;-)
Re: DRZ400: Clean your oil screen
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 11:05:50 pm »
I'll now check it at a regular basis to get warning of serious component wear. When seriously looking to buy a used bike again it is certainly worth having a look here for signs of serious wear inside the motor.

Very good idea Torque Curve
" Of all the things I lost in life, what I miss the most, is my mind"
DRZ 400 E ,1200GS WR450- KLR650 Side-car
Yamaha CV80 Beluga
"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing"
"Old age is not for the inexperienced" "If you haven't grown up by age 50 , you don`t have to"

Offline lecap

• Bachelor Dog
  • Bike: Suzuki DR650
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 08:05:21 am »
If you're looking to buy and you find anything in there it's not just a sign for wear but also a sign for sloppy or no servicing.

Obviously easier and quicker to just take the friggin' drain screw & sump plug out when changing oil & filter and sell the service a few Rand cheaper ::)

Always interesting what you can find in those screens especially after backyard repairs or spontaneous disassembly of some bits inside the engine.

In the old days Hylomar a.k.a. "Blue Death" caused lots of thrashed engines over the years. Applied in a "plenty helps plenty" manner the stuff gets washed off and ends up in the oil intake screen. 1104 is slightly less dangerous since it hardens into an elastic mass and is not washed off as easily as Hylomar.

Best to use silicone sparingly and only where it's supposed to be used (not as substitute for a new gasket ::) ) It does not form a gooey sticky mass if mixed with metal filings and bits broken off timing chin rails.
"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." (Red Adair)

Offline Torque Curve

• Bike: AJS (all models)
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 09:06:25 am »
Thanks for adding your insights, Le Cap. I agree that sealers should be used sparingly and mostly only where the manual requires it.

Less is more certainly applies here too.
“Sometimes it's a little better to travel than to arrive”
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values

Offline Frannarossi

• Vendor
  • Bike: BMW R1200GS Adventure
  • karoorooster@gmail.com
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 09:33:04 am »
Thanks for the tip Torque Curve :thumleft:
If you don't live on the edge,you take up too much space!!!

Offline J-dog

• Bike: Boss Hoss (all models)
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 04:06:24 pm »
Very interesting. I'm going to follow this thread carefully.